Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started experiencing stalling on my 18 M821, however it is only when the engine is cold/not fully warmed up. Does this every morning leaving work like clock work, temps have been 55-64 degrees overnight with some mornings the seat covered in dew, other mornings its not. Stalls once, fires right back up when I hit the switch and runs fine. Hopefully this issue gets figured out. My dealer is too hard to get into so I haven't even bothered taking it in yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I started experiencing stalling on my 18 M821, however it is only when the engine is cold/not fully warmed up. Does this every morning leaving work like clock work, temps have been 55-64 degrees overnight with some mornings the seat covered in dew, other mornings its not. Stalls once, fires right back up when I hit the switch and runs fine. Hopefully this issue gets figured out. My dealer is too hard to get into so I haven't even bothered taking it in yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Mine stalls regardless of temperature and it's always garage overnight. If it was only stalling when it's cold, I would just let it warm up a little longer before riding and call it character. Unfortunately mine stalls under normal temp between 160-217.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 1260 MTS has now began stalling. same scenario, pull clutch and close throttle, hot or cold. Took to dealer who couldn't diagnose but charged me for that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue on the same bike! Are you in NorCal as well? I think my dealer was telling me about your bike too. They took it apart and it spent 2 months in the shop and they cleaned the throttle body and put it back together and still the bike is stalling! Please DM me and keep me posted on this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Spent 3 more weeks at a different dealer with apparently no problem found, was charged again for labor to test ride. Got it back on Saturday and it stalled Tuesday night, as well as about an hour ago. It appeared to idle fine, stumbled, back to idle, then stalled.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You poor bastard. This sucks. These damned computer controlled bikes ... I really don't like them. I honestly hope you get some kind of resolution in your favor on this issue. I read the whole thread up to this point, I feel bad for you. This kind of thing completely ruins the entire motorcycling experience, meanwhile you're still making payments on it and the insurance. I've read about so many mysterious problems with so many of the computer controlled motorcycles in the Ducati line up since I've become a member here (only five or so months so far). For as much money as Ducati charges for these modern motorcycles, there sure seems to be far too many mysterious "who knows?" problems with them. What a shame.

Give it back to the dealer, get a refund, try something else. Maybe a Yamaha, perhaps one of the ~FZ~ models.

Best of luck ....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You poor bastard. This sucks. These damned computer controlled bikes ... I really don't like them. I honestly hope you get some kind of resolution in your favor on this issue. I read the whole thread up to this point, I feel bad for you. This kind of thing completely ruins the entire motorcycling experience, meanwhile you're still making payments on it and the insurance. I've read about so many mysterious problems with so many of the computer controlled motorcycles in the Ducati line up since I've become a member here (only five or so months so far). For as much money as Ducati charges for these modern motorcycles, there sure seems to be far too many mysterious "who knows?" problems with them. What a shame.

Give it back to the dealer, get a refund, try something else. Maybe a Yamaha, perhaps one of the ~FZ~ models.

Best of luck ....
I think returning it is the most likely solution since they don't seem to be able to fix it. I've owned an 848 that I rode to 30k miles before selling it, and that was a great experience. Outside of a dead R/R that was covered under recall, and a dead battery which could happen to every bike, there's been nothing outside regular maintenance. I've also owned a Super Tenere and rode that for 31k miles before selling it, 0 issues on that bike. I still think Ducati makes great bikes. As long as you don't have any issues with it, your overall experience will be good. The problem is that if you ever have a issue with how it runs, your local dealer's customer service could be hit and miss, and Ducati NA customer support is practically nonexistent. Sometimes you roll the dice and out of the thousands of good bikes out there, you happen to end up getting one of the bad ones. This particular experience has left a bad taste in my mouth, only because Ducati denies that there's a problem. Their reason is that they apparently aren't able to reproduce the stalling so to them there is no problem, but it's obvious there's a problem because there's video evidence. Without the videos, they would've been in complete denial that there was ever a problem. I'm still unsure why it's dragging out for this long. Whether it's because Ducati denies that there is a problem, or that they understand there is a problem but don't know what to do about it to fix it. To add insult to injury, I've been getting charged for the test ride and diagnostic labor charges because they haven't been able to find anything while test riding, which is complete BS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
being charged in any way for any warranty concern is outrageous. have you rung the dna customer service dept to raise that issue?
Local dealer said to contact Ducati NA to ask them about being reimbursed. Ducati NA said to work it out with the dealer since they're the ones that charged me for labor.
This is the recurring theme.

I'm basically being forced to go down the route of lemon law to recover my cost because they're either not interested, or are unwilling to make it right. My only ask was to have my bike, which is still under warranty, to run like a newly purchased bike should, and they were unable to do that. I can understand being charged the first time because they couldn't reproduce the stalling and there was no video evidence, but to charge for labor when I bring it in with at least one new video each time? My options were to pay the diagnostic to release the bike, or refuse to pay and be charged for storage while it sits at the dealer. Neither sound like the right thing to do for a customer, and negatively impact my loyalty as a repeat customer. It really sucks to admit as a fan of Ducati and the bikes that they build, this may very well be my last Ducati.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
as a previously long time dealership mechanic, i can assure you that if they had the capacity to fix it, they would. but if there's nothing that they can do (ie, no support from ducati) - and certainly, even though we are now in the time of "ecu updates" they have no control over what that can entail - with the ecu being closed loop you can't do anything of any value to effect an ongoing change to how the bike runs.

we heard lots of "oh no, there's no problem" we it was pretty obvious to everyone there was a problem. but if the mechanics are not given any capacity to actually fix it, then they/you're screwed. they can't re-engineer a bike in a dealership workshop.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Did you try the bike with the exhaust valve disconnected?

And if you open the gas cap right after you stop, is the tank under vacuum? (a whoosh sound would indicate the tank vent is plugged).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Did you try the bike with the exhaust valve disconnected?

And if you open the gas cap right after you stop, is the tank under vacuum? (a whoosh sound would indicate the tank vent is plugged).
Didn't touch the exhaust valve due to warranty. Tank isn't under vacuum and the bike fires right up after stalling, so it's not likely a vacuum issue.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts