Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else here have a Monster 821 that stalls when rolling to a stop with the clutch in? It seems like the revs drop too quickly and doesn't catch at idle. The bike will do this randomly when the engine is hot, and will also do it when the engine is cold. Typically this happens coming to a red light so I just kind of shrug and thumb the starter to get the bike started again, but I decided to record it after the bike stalled in traffic while lane splitting (in California). The issue is very intermittent and because it doesn't do it consistently, the local Ducati techs at the dealership and I are stumped, and having trouble diagnosing it. I'm trying to figure out how widespread this issue is, or if it's isolated to just a few bikes. The dealership has mentioned that another customer has the same issue in 3rd gear clutching in.

Bike is completely stock, and is about 1 year old with about 2000 miles.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Welp since you can start it hot that rules out a lot of what I know... but it does point to the throttle assembly... there appears to be more Freeplay in the newer units...enough so that some aftermarket trickery has set out to eliminate it...
I don't have a link to it but a Google search should churn something out

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welp since you can start it hot that rules out a lot of what I know... but it does point to the throttle assembly... there appears to be more Freeplay in the newer units...enough so that some aftermarket trickery has set out to eliminate it...
I don't have a link to it but a Google search should churn something out
Throttle position was one of the things that was checked. Since the bike is throttle by wire, the TPS reads 0% when the throttle is closed. The extra freeplay in the throttle assembly is just the gap between the lugs and throttle tube, which doesn't provide any electrical input for the throttle other than feeling sloppy. I've tried the Ducati Spacer, it makes the throttle feel less sloppy but it still stalls.

What's weird is that the ECU should still default to a 0 load throttle map that idles when the clutch is pulled in, and the stalling doesn't come up consistently or reproducible enough to be a mechanical issue. I'm thinking it's probably a sensor or ECU issue but I'm trying to get a handle on how widespread the issue is, or if it's just isolated to a few bikes. So far I've only heard of one other case from my local dealer, and they don't know what's wrong with that bike either.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Holy cow, glad I stumbled on this! Same exact scenario and “issue” with my new-ish 2012 796 with 1000 miles. Twice it dies coming to a stop with the most recent one about an hour ago.

My previous 749s did this one too so I’m chucking it as a “Duc thing”.

Curious to hear othera opinion on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
i don't have a tool to flash 821, so i haven't done any of them. the 796 i have done, and you can add spark advance to them.

the 749s 04 - 06 was known as a staller, and they had us change the cam timing - spreading the lobe centres to cut the overlap, which with the stupid big cams they had did nothing for how they performed. i've done a few where you just add 10 degrees to the idle advance and it fixes them. simple as that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yet my dealership could not figure it out. Oh well. She was a great ride. I’m curious to know more about this flash you speak of as it sounds as if it’s a known thing for 796’s?

i don't have a tool to flash 821, so i haven't done any of them. the 796 i have done, and you can add spark advance to them.

the 749s 04 - 06 was known as a staller, and they had us change the cam timing - spreading the lobe centres to cut the overlap, which with the stupid big cams they had did nothing for how they performed. i've done a few where you just add 10 degrees to the idle advance and it fixes them. simple as that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Belter,

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate the insight.

The bike stalled again Thursday morning on its way to the dealership to diagnose the issue. It was reflashed under warranty with an updated fuel injection map/software that Ducati thinks is a potential fix. I was told by the service staff that Ducati Corporate had called them about the bike after the warranty request was submitted because they took some interest in the videos.

We'll see how it goes. Will report back if it does or doesn't fix the stalling issue over time.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
now that dealers have the ability to update mapping it is something they can attempt to fix. you don't know what the engineers are doing, but at least it can happen in short time.

and the internet has certainly helped alert ducati to the fact they can no longer bullshit people with regard to issues.

back in my day it was "problem? there's no problem" "oh, lots of people are complaining, ok, maybe there is problem" and finally "we ask you to do........ which will fix problem".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
now that dealers have the ability to update mapping it is something they can attempt to fix. you don't know what the engineers are doing, but at least it can happen in short time.

and the internet has certainly helped alert ducati to the fact they can no longer bullshit people with regard to issues.

back in my day it was "problem? there's no problem" "oh, lots of people are complaining, ok, maybe there is problem" and finally "we ask you to do........ which will fix problem".
Copy that.

When I first brought up the stalling issue the dealer ended up charging me for labor to diagnose without finding anything. They were convinced it was rider error or the bike was just cold. Neither made sense as the bike was still rolling and clutched in when it stalled, and cold engine definitely didn't make sense as the idle speed is higher when the engine is cold, as well as the fact that it was happening well after the bike is running past 175°.

Now that it's a known issue with a fix, I have to petition Ducati to reimburse the labor for diagnosis because it was a warranty claim.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well... it seems like this bike stalls pretty regularly every 2 weeks. It happened twice in a row this morning, and the dealership has asked me to record the dashboard for next time. Fuel injection control update is not the solution.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well... it seems like this bike stalls pretty regularly every 2 weeks. It happened twice in a row this morning, and the dealership has asked me to record the dashboard for next time. Fuel injection control update is not the solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaYeNLaTAQ8
I would start angling towards a lemon law solution
If they're that interested give it back to them ...LOL

·
Registered
197 Posts
This just irks me. Sorry you’re dealing with this as I am too.

I did put 30ml of Sta-bil in the tank two days ago and thought it had fixed my problem. I managed to ride 5 miles before it started stalling.

Prior to bringing to the shop and them troubleshooting and purchasing parts that I may/may not need, I am doing my own troubleshooting and I’ve gone as far as siphoned the gas out and will put fresh ones. I will learn more this Saturday when I return from my work trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaYeNLaTAQ8

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really want to like this bike... but it's starting to point towards lemon law. I'm just really disappointed since the 848 I had went for over 30,000 miles mostly problem free barring maybe 2 incidents over the course of 10 years.

It happened again on my way home. This time it was a little different, sounded like it stalled and the engine cycled a little before completely dying.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bike is back at the dealer again as of yesterday. The dealer and myself are not confident it can be fixed, so it may be a lemon afterall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any resolution to this?

I just purchased a 2019 M821, less than 100 miles on it and I believe I just experienced the same issue. turned a corner, downshifted from 3rd to second, engine stalled, engine light came on. It just went off yesterday...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Had the same thing with my M1200.

In my case, it was due to the vertical cylinder's intake manifold being toasted which got replaced with a new one under warranty - bam - problem solved...
For others it was a TPS thing so your mileage may vary.

There was a dude with a (new) MTS1200 (or was it a 1260?) a couple of months ago in here having the exact same problem, don't know what happened in the end though, maybe you could try to find the topic ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any resolution to this?

I just purchased a 2019 M821, less than 100 miles on it and I believe I just experienced the same issue. turned a corner, downshifted from 3rd to second, engine stalled, engine light came on. It just went off yesterday...
No resolution as of yet. I had the same issue with mine since week 1. At my 600 mile service I mentioned it to the dealer and it was shrugged off until I started collecting video. It kept stalling even after the ignition map update. I had suggested evap canister just to rule everything out but they refused to remove the evap canister, so I did it myself and properly plugged the vacuum lines. It made no difference. It went back to the dealer for another 3 weeks, they threw my evap canister back on and cleaned my throttle bodies. It still stalls as of yesterday. I would recommend you start recording the stalling so there's record of it. My dealer was unable to reproduce it after 3 visits.

Had the same thing with my M1200.

In my case, it was due to the vertical cylinder's intake manifold being toasted which got replaced with a new one under warranty - bam - problem solved...
For others it was a TPS thing so your mileage may vary.

There was a dude with a (new) MTS1200 (or was it a 1260?) a couple of months ago in here having the exact same problem, don't know what happened in the end though, maybe you could try to find the topic ?
Interesting, haven't heard of that and the techs at the dealer tore my bike down to the throttle bodies. They ended up cleaning the throttle bodies as suggested by Ducati and the work order didnt mention seeing anything unusual other than my evap canister which they put back on. It still stalls.

Maybe the stalling is more common with the newer bikes with all the extra electronics and more stringent emissions requirements. There seems to be a bunch of stalling issues with a variety of models and engines across Ducati's newer lineup. I had an 848 for 10 years and practically zero issues with it outside of dead batteries which is normal every few years, and the recalled regulator/rectifier which left me stranded. Maybe I just got lucky with that one.

This one was from earlier today. Clutch was pulled in and coasting in 1st gear, the bike was already at idle and it suddenly stalled out with no warning.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts