Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I like the Supersport, I prefer the comfort of the monster's seat as the ride feel a bit more relaxed. Is the Monster 939 a possibility for next year? I hope the electronics, and quickshifter become an option if so, the SSSA is a bonus if added.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I'd have to try the SS first before rejecting it . If the riding position is ok, the fairing is a big plus. My Monster has the better riding position, but this SS is much nicer for higher speed due to wind protection and better ride.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
As much as I like the Supersport, I prefer the comfort of the monster's seat as the ride feel a bit more relaxed. Is the Monster 939 a possibility for next year? I hope the electronics, and quickshifter become an option if so, the SSSA is a bonus if added.
From your comment it doesn't seem like you've ridden the new SS. I found the riding position and seat both to be comfortable, not anything like the Superbikes I've ridden, and as nice as the Monster 1200 I owned; in fact, better because of the wind protection on the SS.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm willing to bet my right nut that we'll see the new, restyled M821 (or 939) at this year's EICMA along with the also new and restyled 1200R - it just makes sense seeing that A) The 1200/S received the restyle this year (headlight/smaller tank/smaller/tail/more e-gizmos etc), B) The 797 also shares the same aesthetics (minus the full trellis of course) and C) It's already been 2 years since the 821 and 1200R made their debut, and since there's always the case about product uniformity...It's not like Ducati can keep 5 different Monster models looking different now, can they ? - i'm talking about the base/basic/most recognizable characteristics like the headlight/tank/tail.

And yeah, you can forget about the SSSA and/or more electronics (or QS), it's just going to be a restyled 821 and that's pretty much it (i.e: cheaper liquid-cooled bike of the monster range)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I agree with RC about the consistency within the line-up. There's not that much they can do to the "R" other than what he stated. The smaller tank was a bad move as it reduced the range and the look IMHO but it is what it is. As for the entry level liquid cooled Monster, there's certainly an argument to be made about using the same engine across product lines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From your comment it doesn't seem like you've ridden the new SS. I found the riding position and seat both to be comfortable, not anything like the Superbikes I've ridden, and as nice as the Monster 1200 I owned; in fact, better because of the wind protection on the SS.
I rode both the base and s model, the seating is fine but the clip on handlebars and position of rearsets give it a different feel than the monster.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 939 is such a great engine, better than the 821 in every way, which itself is a great mill! I've ridden them all, the SS ergo's were not for me, i much prefer monster upright ergo's. then again, i'm super weird in that i'd take the 939 hyper sp over all of them anyway, i love that bikes ergo's. As soon as i stop travelling so much, my multi is going in and the 939sp is coming home. Hopefully by then they offer a QS for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got news of the upgraded monster 821!

Ducati will be a brand not to be messed with for 2018, I love the new upgrades. New TFT screen, quicker-shifter option, passenger pegs, bar controls, and yellow color to honor the 25th anniversary of the monster 900!:grin2:

I'm not certain if Ducati looked at this thread while it was in development, but 4 of my buddies are ready to buy and 1 other doing a trade in with his '14 monster.

·
Registered
157 Posts
To judge from the video... it's more about getting from one selfie opportunity to another...

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I rode both the base and s model, the seating is fine but the clip on handlebars and position of rearsets give it a different feel than the monster.
And after owning the Monster 1200 and riding the Supersport, I'll take the SS every time. Personal preference relating to how and where you ride. The Monster has a riding position too upright for me, plus I don't like getting blasted by the wind if I want to take a long ride.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks, Rosso, as this photo clarifies the change. A nice upgrade for the 821, but I wonder if they've solved the "washout" condition when the sun is behind your back, as the TFT 1200 dash had that problem?
The 2017 1200 has the display mounted at a different angle which apparently eliminates the problem - same as the new, 2018 821 ;)

Not that it was much of a problem TBH, by applyin a matte anti-glare screen protector said "problem" went away by a good 80% i'd say, that's what i did with mine and it's all good.

TFT dash is nice and all but...i'd much prefer some basic, adjustable suspension on a 13K bike (over my part of the world) you know ?

Same motor but Euro4 compliant, meaning, it has lost some ponies in the process, the new TFT dash is the only good new thing on it IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
To judge from the video... it's more about getting from one selfie opportunity to another...
Like when a 3 year old is always bringing you his toys to show you has them, and wants you to know he has them and so on. He just needs a bit nod or smile.

My Yorkie always brings us shoes and sticks, just to show us she is doing a good job and growing up correctly. We give her bigs smiles and she goes on her way happy as a clam.

Its the same for a new rider, lots of pics to his friends and his mom. Making sure everything is okay and letting everyone know he is not dead, and rather that in actuallity he is now, THE MAN. :)

All part of the process, Baby.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Like when a 3 year old is always bringing you his toys to show you...

All part of the process, Baby.
Meh, I don't agree. Harley went through the whole 'fashion statement' fad some years ago, I fear Ducati is doing the same thing.

TFT dash is nice and all but...i'd much prefer some basic, adjustable suspension on a 13K bike (over my part of the world) you know ?
I'd gladly trade my super-high-tech digital dash on my 796 in for a set of analogs. Just saying. Yes, digital is here to stay. Yes, it's cutting edge. Got it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'll bet getting a yellow 2018 Monster 821 100%. I can't wait. I look forward to finally having a daily that has ABS, traction control, LED lights, etc.

I had a Monster 696, and I absolutely loved the bike for commuting in the city, but it was totaled in an accident.

I daily ride a Hyper1100 right now, but look forward to making that my Dry Clutch Museum Bike when I start riding my 2018 821 daily. And those longer service intervals compared to the Hyper 1100 are most welcome.

·
Registered
20 Posts
with the announcement of the scambler 1100 I wonder if they'll make the monster 1100. Seams like a solid idea to use the same engine across multiple platforms.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts