Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently bought an 18 Hypermotard 939 with 4k miles. The engine stalls exceptionally easily when pulling away from stationary in 1st gear. Unless I use over 5k rpm and ease the clutch out for 3 seconds or longer, it will stall the engine immediately. The situation improves a little when the bike is hot, but it is still horrible to use in 1st or 2nd gear below 25mph. Is this normal?

Also, I find the forward slanting stock seat is pushing me into the tank and it curves my spine unnaturally, as only the rearmost part of my butt is on the seat. Is there a more horizontal / level seat option for this bike? I really don't enjoy sitting on a forward sloping seat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have same problem, had it twice. Mine is 2016. According my dealer 2016 had this problem. First time they told me problem is acceleration body and need adjustment and cleaning. They did it first time and it was ok for about 6 months. I have 10000km

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Hi,

I recently bought an 18 Hypermotard 939 with 4k miles. The engine stalls exceptionally easily when pulling away from stationary in 1st gear. Unless I use over 5k rpm and ease the clutch out for 3 seconds or longer, it will stall the engine immediately. The situation improves a little when the bike is hot, but it is still horrible to use in 1st or 2nd gear below 25mph. Is this normal?

Also, I find the forward slanting stock seat is pushing me into the tank and it curves my spine unnaturally, as only the rearmost part of my butt is on the seat. Is there a more horizontal / level seat option for this bike? I really don't enjoy sitting on a forward sloping seat.
I found the gearing to be WAYYYY to tall for this bike. I dropped the front sprocket from the stock 15 tooth to a 14 tooth and it is much better EVERYWHERE.

As far as the seat goes, try to find a "Ducati Race Seat". It has a more flat profile but it is a hair taller.

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I found the gearing to be WAYYYY to tall for this bike. I dropped the front sprocket from the stock 15 tooth to a 14 tooth and it is much better EVERYWHERE.

As far as the seat goes, try to find a "Ducati Race Seat". It has a more flat profile but it is a hair taller.

Dave
Thanks for that information. I will definitely look for a new front sprocket. Where did you buy yours, and did you have to re-calibrate the speedo? I have since looked at another 18 Hypermotard at a dealer and that one's clutch operation was a lot smoother than mine, so maybe my clutch cable is also kinked or damaged.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Thanks for that information. I will definitely look for a new front sprocket. Where did you buy yours, and did you have to re-calibrate the speedo? I have since looked at another 18 Hypermotard at a dealer and that one's clutch operation was a lot smoother than mine, so maybe my clutch cable is also kinked or damaged.
I didn't recalibrate the speedo. I noticed the other day that it reads about 5 MPH high, which s better than reading 5 MPH low by CHP standards. I really don't look at the speedo much anyways, haha.

The sprocket can be had anywhere. I think mine is a Superlight with the little holes in it but it really doesn't matter much if at all. You can put it on with the stock chain too, you just have to adjust it back a little. Installation is a bit of a pain because you have to loosen the rearset mount to R&R the sprocket from the splined shaft. That means that you need to have the bike on a rear stand because the side stand is connected to that same rearset mount. Just a heads up, still not too bad of a job and DEFINITELY worth it.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts