Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my Multi for about 1.5 years and as of September 2018 I’ve had to replace my FOB battery quite frequently (every 3-4 weeks) as the bike would not recognize the key. Needless to say, it was getting frustrating, and continues to be. It was easily resolved by swapping out a new battery, but nonetheless inconvenient. I now carry a couple of spares in anticipation for my next change.

The one addition I made in August 2018 was the RapidBike Evo. That’s the only mod that I can associate with the sudden change, whether it’s connected to the issue or not.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

Cheers,
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Where do you keep your fab when you are not riding? I try to keep my fab away from the bike, farthest away possible so it cant communicate. Not sure if that makes any difference but that's what I do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where do you keep your fab when you are not riding? I try to keep my fab away from the bike, farthest away possible so it cant communicate. Not sure if that makes any difference but that's what I do.

Thanks. I keep my fob far enough from my bike when not in use. Right now it sits deep enough in my house relative to where my bike is parked in the garage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you had the Key fob recall done, contact your dealer and see if your bike is within scope of the recall, my 2017 1200S was and i got a new fob.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you had the Key fob recall done, contact your dealer and see if your bike is within scope of the recall, my 2017 1200S was and i got a new fob.

I asked my dealer and they said there are no existing recalls. I’ll be pressing them more on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My current FOB has a Reset button. The recall indicates that the replacement part has a “Reset” function, so I imagine that’s why my key is not part of the recall. I will look into resetting the key and verify if the Hands-Free system recognizes the key.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Why does Ducati try to get all fancy and make things worse. KIS, as in keep it simple. What's wrong with a normal key and ignition? Still cant figure out why we have a locking gas cap, lose the Fab, you can still start the bike but you cannot refuel. We should not have to modify our gas cap. At least the cap should automatically unlock with the pin activation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why does Ducati try to get all fancy and make things worse. KIS, as in keep it simple. What's wrong with a normal key and ignition? Still cant figure out why we have a locking gas cap, lose the Fab, you can still start the bike but you cannot refuel. We should not have to modify our gas cap. At least the cap should automatically unlock with the pin activation.

I completely agree. I’d love to swap out for a normal key system. Tried the reset button tonight - removed the battery, pressed reset for ~30 sec., placed battery back and closed things up. It still didn’t sense the FOB until I placed it near the antenna. Bike started up fine. Then as soon as I placed the key in my pocket I got the No Key light on the dash.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Cell phone in nearby pocket? I've read some threads indicating they can cause interference.

Sorry, that's all I got. Mine acts up at gas stations and the odd parking lot. I started keeping my key in my jacket breast pocket and seem to have better luck than in pants pocket down lower. HTH.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Cell phone in nearby pocket? I've read some threads indicating they can cause interference.

Sorry, that's all I got. Mine acts up at gas stations and the odd parking lot. I started keeping my key in my jacket breast pocket and seem to have better luck than in pants pocket down lower. HTH.
My bike hates it when I have my key in the same pocket as my phone. And it used to hate Mobil Speedpass pumps. I think Mobil killed that feature but I wouldn’t know as I just stopped making a habit of going there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All great recommendations. Many thanks. This morning I replaced the battery and reset the fob. Seems to work within range. There’s potentially some drain on the battery that’s occurring within my household. For now I’ve removed the battery. Dazed and Confused!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts