Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Touratech formed their unholy alliance with Ducati for the DVT era looks like this isn't an option . Factory bags on my S are gorgeous, a dramatic improvement from previous, and still suck.

So far the only plausible options (since i like the Aluminum top loading 37-40 L size) are
  • SW Motech Adventure
  • Givi Trekker
  • ???
Anyone have experience on others or LOVE either of these systems? I really dig the Jesse Odyssey II, but no Multi option (i've emailed him though)

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I chose the SW Motech set-up for my 16 Pikes Peak. Quality seems close to the Touratech and looks great installed in my opinion.

I did have to fabricate a bracket for the exhaust side rack due to the hardware change with the Termi exhaust.

Also I bought a set of Touratech locks to replace the Motech locks. The Motech locks have to be locked to remove the key, a real nuisance to have to fumble with keys every time you want to access while traveling.

- Michael

·
Registered
15 Posts
I chose the SW Motech set-up for my 16 Pikes Peak. Quality seems close to the Touratech and looks great installed in my opinion.

I did have to fabricate a bracket for the exhaust side rack due to the hardware change with the Termi exhaust.

Also I bought a set of Touratech locks to replace the Motech locks. The Motech locks have to be locked to remove the key, a real nuisance to have to fumble with keys every time you want to access while traveling.

- Michael
Would you be so kind of give more detail on what you had to do to fabricate that bracket change? As I am in the same boat. Would love some pics of your setup, with and without the bags, if you have them handy too. Thanks! much appreciated!

nm, i see your other post: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/719933-sw-motech-quick-lock-evo-racks-compatibility-w-full-termi.html#post6964531

·
Registered
4 Posts
Love the SW's.
The keys are frustrating but easily sorted. The engineering is spot on and they fit perfectly with the standard pipe or the short Termi.
I did manage to drop the bike at zero speed on a steep incline and the boxes took all the weight. A small scratch on one of the corner the plastic moldings but all good. Rather a great bonus.
The top box came with the bike.
I've attached a couple of photos to help see how this setup feels. best of luck with your decision.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Currently on my R1200GS i have the touratech 25L top case, 31L side and 37L side.. I love the 25L top case.. just the right size for stuff and urban commuting.. I hate the giant top cases. I love the way my old 2013 pikes peak looked with it, but now the touratech and ducati are doing OEM stuff they don't make an aftermarket rack setup for the 1260.. such BS...

And the aluminum ducati cases are insanely large and heavy.. WTF.

literally considering buying the ducati touratech top case setup and using my 25L case and wasting the 38L giant case.. so $1100 touratech rack... Since it does not apppear in anyway you can just part out the top case rack setup..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since Touratech formed their unholy alliance with Ducati for the DVT era looks like this isn't an option . Factory bags on my S are gorgeous, a dramatic improvement from previous, and still suck.

So far the only plausible options (since i like the Aluminum top loading 37-40 L size) are
  • SW Motech Adventure
  • Givi Trekker
  • ???
Anyone have experience on others or LOVE either of these systems? I really dig the Jesse Odyssey II, but no Multi option (i've emailed him though)

What sucks about the factory cases? I have a 2018 Multi PP and recently bought a set of factory panniers for her and think there great. Liners are a nice fit, no ugly brackets to look at when there off and I can put my overly large, heavy helmet in the 1 side case. I’m actually surprised with how much they hold. Sure they are not as big as the aluminum ones, but that’s what’s nice about them. Don’t really notice that much difference when riding with them except when getting in and off the bike.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm a big fan of the standard Ducati luggage. It looks decent (not quite as cool as the big aluminum boxes), but the attachment system is what I really love.

Quick and easy to get on and off, and when you take it off, there is no skeleton frame showing. I mostly ride with no bags at all, or just the top case and I like the clean look. Love it actually. I think it's genius!

·
Registered
15 Posts
yea, I rode around austria/italy/germany last september on 1260s with the plastic ducati luggage. sure it held a lot, but i think it looks so old-man (no offense old ppl)...

also i liked the idea of being able to buy a set of touratech cases and use them on different bikes without having to buy luggage with every motorcycle...

·
Registered
357 Posts
SW-Motech ADV on my 2014, very happy with them. The next owner of my Multi can have the "dump all your shit on the floor" Ducati ones.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Seems like there is an untapped opportunity for some fabrication/manufacturing shop to create a bracket that will fit the stock MTS luggage mounts, but allow fitment of aftermarket bags. This hardware has been unchanged for five years, plenty of potential buyers out there.

I would like to not use the factory side cases, but I'm not going to semi-permanently affix mounting hardware to my bike for the 10-15% of my riding where I use side cases at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The SHAD 3P system provides some good options for looking clean without the bags, but lots of capacity if you want it. They also have two sizes of bags, one side opening and one top opening.

I'm a big fan of the standard Ducati luggage. ... Quick and easy to get on and off, and when you take it off, there is no skeleton frame showing. I mostly ride with no bags at all, or just the top case and I like the clean look. Love it actually. I think it's genius!
I agree. Most days I don't have the bags on, and like the clean look (I can drop my gear in my office). But when going somewhere else I can put my Shoei Neotec in the left bag, jacket and overpants in the other, and walk in looking like a normal person. If I need the bags for an errand, they pop on in about 2 minutes total.
I DO NOT like the price of a replacement unit, however.

I was considering putting SHADs on for small bags (easier to split) and use the OEM ones when more capacity needed. But the OEM bags can't go on if the 3P mounting bars are on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
25L touratech

So I really, really like the 25L touratech top case, as I never use my top case for helmet, i like the smaller size. So I bought the touratech DIY top case rack and used stainless spacers with the SW-MOTECH luggage rack. Like the results, only needed to get some bolts and drill holes. Nothing else special, no welding, etc.

Universal-Rapid-Trap-Zega-Pro-Topcase-Mount

Attachments

·
Premium Member
99 Posts

- Michael

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=953689&stc=1&d=1568283500

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
yea, I rode around austria/italy/germany last september on 1260s with the plastic ducati luggage. sure it held a lot, but i think it looks so old-man (no offense old ppl)...

also i liked the idea of being able to buy a set of touratech cases and use them on different bikes without having to buy luggage with every motorcycle...
Old Man? Interesting - I'm pretty close to old man level so maybe I don't see it. The aluminum cases can look ok (but a lot look very poser when it's obvious the bike never goes offroad)... but I've not found any that don't make the bike look like complete crap when they're removed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Old Man? Interesting - I'm pretty close to old man level so maybe I don't see it. The aluminum cases can look ok (but a lot look very poser when it's obvious the bike never goes offroad)... but I've not found any that don't make the bike look like complete crap when they're removed.
I did not know that aluminum cases were only for off-road...

·
Premium Member
99 Posts

"complete crap"? Hey, I resemble that remark!
Bike without the luggage looks to me like a road tourer without it's luggage. Exactly what it is! Not a problem in my humble opinion.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=953719&stc=1&d=1568325085

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=953721&stc=1&d=1568325195

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
JMO guys... I see the Multi as a far more sport oriented ADV bike... and the 'rugged adv' cases and scaffolding mess up that vibe completely. The S1000XR is even worse - it's even MORE sport/road focused but with the panniers off looks like you're expecting a bunch of tiny workmen to return from break - because they're still trying to finish up the rear of the bike - like they're really building an S1000R but have not quite finished yet.

The Aluminum cases are part of the 'Long Way Around' sort of hardcore offroad/onroad ADV "Look". They're big boxy and ugly... but able to (if they're good quality) take a lot more abuse than most plastic cases. Though I've seen some Pelican case setups that I'd put up against any of the standard aluminum offerings for real ruggedness. I use Pelican for my camera gear and they're expensive but crazy durable... but I digress...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts