Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Seeking advice/input. Currently commute 145 miles r/t on a 2015 Aprilia Caponord and looking to downsize my garage (currently have 3 bikes...Capo, MP3 500 and Duc Supersport). Was at the dealer this past weekend and they have a 2017 Diavel on the showroom floor...sat on it and feels way more comfortable than the last time I sat on one. Anyway, was wondering if the Diavel is a good commuting bike (I would probably add a windscreen and bags)? Is it comfortable for 2-up riding?

Thanks,

spartan

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a 2013 diavel and it’s fine as a commuter. Handling is quicker than you’d think, lots of power, plenty of room for a passenger at least compared to a sport bike. No complaints, it could have a bit more fuel capacity I suppose. Lots of options out there for seats, rearsets, bars, windscreens if you like to modify.

Love mine, I treat it kind of as an old guys sport bike.

Cheers

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a Diavel. The motor and riding position are very strong for commuting. Easy power on tap, but not difficult to ride at slow speeds. Low seat height means start/stops are easy.
For sure, luggage and protection will be the weak links. Solvable with accessories, but will never be a Multistrada (which is my first choice for commuting) or as fun as a Scrambler (which is my second choice). I use the Diavel for the Friday commute.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2013 diavel and it’s fine as a commuter. Handling is quicker than you’d think, lots of power, plenty of room for a passenger at least compared to a sport bike. No complaints, it could have a bit more fuel capacity I suppose. Lots of options out there for seats, rearsets, bars, windscreens if you like to modify.

Love mine, I treat it kind of as an old guys sport bike.

Cheers
Jetta,

Appreciate the insight...what are you getting with regards to MPG? I haven't ridden the one at the dealership yet, so would do that before purchasing of course. And mods...OMG, yup do that a lot as my Supersport can attest to that :laugh:

I have a Diavel. The motor and riding position are very strong for commuting. Easy power on tap, but not difficult to ride at slow speeds. Low seat height means start/stops are easy.
For sure, luggage and protection will be the weak links. Solvable with accessories, but will never be a Multistrada (which is my first choice for commuting) or as fun as a Scrambler (which is my second choice). I use the Diavel for the Friday commute.
O_2,

Good to hear about the easy start/stop. A majority of the miles would be highway, but still good to hear about ease of rideability. As for the Multistrada, test rode the 2018 S, OMG what an amazing bike. Rode some twisties in the San Diego County backcountry, simply amazing!!! I wish that I could get it into my budget, would've been all over the purchase this past weekend.

spartan

·
Registered
315 Posts
I once rode in a group of other guys (Goldwing, BMW RT, Harley) for two days and returned 44 mpg, but riding solo I reliably get mid 30's.

If you love the Multi, then you'll love the Diavel. Same engine - looks cooler.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There's quite a good Jay Leno 2017 review of the Diavel.
Can't say I like him much, but it's hard to not respect his experience.

He liked it a lot, and appreciated it's quirkiness. I'd say sport bike for older guys is a really good description. Strangest damned cruiser I've ever seen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I once rode in a group of other guys (Goldwing, BMW RT, Harley) for two days and returned 44 mpg, but riding solo I reliably get mid 30's.

If you love the Multi, then you'll love the Diavel. Same engine - looks cooler.
That's not too bad...MPG and the Diavel Carbon is just sitting in the back corner of the dealership looking cool :smile2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's quite a good Jay Leno 2017 review of the Diavel.
Can't say I like him much, but it's hard to not respect his experience.

He liked it a lot, and appreciated it's quirkiness. I'd say sport bike for older guys is a really good description. Strangest damned cruiser I've ever seen.
I watched the Leno review and that's what got me to thinking about this bike versus some of the other ones I had been looking at. Ahh yes, decisions, decisions, decisions :surprise:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2015 Diavel Dark Stealth

Ok, so now the plot thickens...looks like I can't get a better deal on the 2017, but the dealer has a 2015 Dark Stealth on the showroom floor...https://www.moto-forza.com/default....&make=ducati&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory...less than 2000 miles on it. Are there any major differences between the two bikes? Also, what are the most popular accessories folks are getting for their bikes (e.g., windscreen, rear sets, GPS holder, tail tidy, etc.)? What brands do you recommend?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ok, so now the plot thickens...looks like I can't get a better deal on the 2017, but the dealer has a 2015 Dark Stealth on the showroom floor...https://www.moto-forza.com/default....&make=ducati&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory...less than 2000 miles on it. Are there any major differences between the two bikes? Also, what are the most popular accessories folks are getting for their bikes (e.g., windscreen, rear sets, GPS holder, tail tidy, etc.)? What brands do you recommend?
If I bought the 2017 right now, would the other one feel as good, or would you pine after the 2017?

Same for the 2015. Try to coin toss it in your head.
They're both expensive. Get the one your gut is telling you to go for.

I mean, imagine on halloween. You put on a batman costume and the look is complete :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I bought the 2017 right now, would the other one feel as good, or would you pine after the 2017?

Same for the 2015. Try to coin toss it in your head.
They're both expensive. Get the one your gut is telling you to go for.

I mean, imagine on Halloween. You put on a batman costume and the look is complete :D
Damn, you really know how to hurt a guy, but you are so right >:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
FWIW, I think they're great.
They oddly make a LOT of sense in my head. They're like long distance monsters.
And that's a great reason to look into this bike as an option for me. I'll test ride this weekend while the Supersport is having safety recall work done to it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FWIW, I think they're great.
They oddly make a LOT of sense in my head. They're like long distance monsters.
ok, from a realistic point of view, I'm going to probably put about 30K miles a year on whatever bike I get. What's the service intervals and would this bike handle such a heavy workload?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So...I went down to the dealer today to have recall service completed on my Supersport S and while I was there, I was able to test ride aa 2013 Multistrada S Granturismo and 2015 Diavel Dark Stealth. Both, amazing bikes in their own right. I was really surprised that I wasn't "beat up" on the Diavel. Quick, powerful, brute force, yet nimble around the twisties...simply blown away!!! The Multistrada, stable, quick, fully loaded, and surprisingly agile on the same twisty course.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could not agree more! The SHAD system looks great but seem to be difficult to source.:smile2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts