Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add some electrical powered accessories to my recently purchased 1200s. Can anybody tell me how many "spare watts" of juice have I got to play with ? What is the maximum controlled output of the alternator ?

·
Registered
343 Posts
The max output for the Multistrada is in the 500 watt range which puts in in line with other adventure bikes. I can't give you a number for "spare watts" but I can tell you from my experience that I run led driving lights and occasionally Warm & Safe heated gloves, jacket (rated @100 watts), pants, and socks with out problems. Of course, the alternator output drops at low engine speeds so I turn off my heated gear when traveling through towns. I don't need the heat when traveling slowly anyway. You might want to install a voltmeter to warn you of potential problems. I use a device that plugs into the dash Powerlet socket that has 2 usb ports and a voltmeter.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff. Can you please give a brand name, or source for that USB/Voltmeter ? I've got a digital voltmeter on my Suzuki DR650, but hard wired it in, and no USB. I like the sound of what you suggest. Cheers from Down Under.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I think that the Multistrada has a 480 W output. Less at lower rpm.

Here's how the generator power output is intended to be used:

low beam (55 W)
high beam (55 W)
sidelight (5 W)
tail lights plus brake lights (21 W)
turn signal lights (10 W)
number plate light (5 W)
instrument cluster bulb (2 W)
warning light bulb (1.2 W)
fuel pump (clean filter) (60 W)
horn (60 W)
cooling fan (60 W)
electronic ignition (48 W)
computer (24 W)

If only the high beam or the low beam headlight is on at one time, the total of the above loads is 350 W. This is called the system design basis used to size the alternator. However, this is different from the normal operating conditions.

For example, a common operating condition would be:

low beam on (55 W)
high beam off (0 W)
sidelight off (0 W)
tail lights plus brake lights on (21 W)
turn signal lights off (0 W)
number plate light on (5 W)
instrument cluster bulb on (2 W)
warning light bulb off (0 W)
fuel pump on (60 W)
horn off (0 W)
cooling fan on (60 W)
electronic ignition on (48 W)
computer on (24 W)

The total of the above loads for this operating condition is 275 W (although Stick has posted that he measured the power draw during the normal running condition at about 200 W).

This leaves 145 W (420-275) available to run auxiliary equipment and to charge the battery.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strega. Thank you very much for the above information. Is exactly what I was looking for.

I want to fit some auxillary lighting, and don't want to push the charging system too close to its maximum.
Am thinking that I'll go with 2 x 35w H.I.D spot lights = 70w + 2 x Cree LED's with 4 x 5w cells per lamp = 40w
So even with everything on, I would be adding an additional 110w load, leaving approx 35w to spare for battery charging.
I will fit a digital voltmeter to keep an eye on battery voltage level.
If it drops, I'll just turn off one set of lights.
But I doubt this will be an issue as I live in Rural Australia, With LOTS of nocturnal wildlife, so my night riding is only last resort to get somewhere if I've been delayed. I don't ride fast at night, so if I need to bump the charge rate up, I'd just ride 1 or 2 gears lower to increase revs to increase charging.

Cheers T.D.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Strega, where did you get the breakdown of power consumption for the Multistrada? I'm trying to do a similar analysis for my 2008 GT1000 and have been unable to find similar specifications. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts