Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Had this bike since new. I don’t often play around with the suspension settings, but do adjust the rear preload on the odd occasion that I’ll be riding 2 up. My recollection is that there is resistance when turning the rear preload knob, but today I went to adjust and it is basically turning with no resistance at all. I can feel the clicks, but don’t think it’s doing anything.

Thoughts on what the issue might be?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I reckon the adjuster works like a master cylinder/slave cylinder setup.....the adjuster knob being the master, and the housing on the shock body the slave. If the adjuster is turning with no resistance it may have lost it's pressure. Does it go full left then full right without any resistance? I think if you pull it off and send to the Ohlins place in NC they'll fix it for free, assuming it's busted.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it turns all the way both ways with no noticeable change in resistance (which wasn’t the case before). I’m in Canada so looks like a trip to the dealer to see what they can do. Ugh.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Time for a rebuild.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I recall the preload knob on my ST4 Ohlin's did the same thing. I was able to get it rethreaded by pushing it in or pulling it out while turning. I don't recall exactly only that I was able to do it. Don't force anything.

t_bare

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

Had this bike since new. I don’t often play around with the suspension settings, but do adjust the rear preload on the odd occasion that I’ll be riding 2 up. My recollection is that there is resistance when turning the rear preload knob, but today I went to adjust and it is basically turning with no resistance at all. I can feel the clicks, but don’t think it’s doing anything.

The hose that connects the knob to the shock is broken, happens to me and they changed the full shock under warranty but the new one breaks just after a few weeks, have been studying the problem and it seems to be the hose too close to the exhaust and the plastic inside It breaks when turning it. If you want to be sure turn the knob clockwise and look for drops of oil leaking from the hose. The new PP has a thermal protection for the hose so Ducati knows the issue. Will post a possible solution but now I'm working on it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Interesting. I have just bought a 16 PP and noticed this as well. No resistatnce at all, very different to my MTS 1100s. I spoke to a friend who has the 17 PP and his is the same, he had his rear shock re-sprung by one of the countires best shock guys last year, I'm assuming they would of picked up that the preload adjuster wasnt working... maybe not....

I guess the best way to tell is to check if the spring is actually compressing or not.

Can all PP 16/17 owners go and have a turn on their preload and report back if they have resisitance / compression of spring or not?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ok, just checked, not compressing... grrrr.. only had this bike for 2 weeks... I wonder if it might still be honoured under warranty...

Does anyone know what the Ohlins warranty is?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi everyone,

did you get this sorted?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just checked mine - 16 PP - preload fully wound to heaviest setting and feels solid. Did have issue with line running too close to spring and started rubbing! will follow Aero52's instructions to keep clear. Heat shield fitted at a recall

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Vjc
Not about warranty, there's a recall on that hose and if your bike has a recall then why would they not take care either of insulating the hore or replace the shock if the recalled hose caused the damage?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just checked mine - 16 PP - preload fully wound to heaviest setting and feels solid. Did have issue with line running too close to spring and started rubbing! will follow Aero52's instructions to keep clear. Heat shield fitted at a recall
Hey there.. noticed your in Australia as well.. Do you recall when the recall (sorry!) was? you wouldn't have any info or docs on that all would you?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey VJC, got mine in 2018 as a pre-loved bike. Worked out the pre-load hose was fixed before I picked it up, as the online photos didnt show the "heat proof tape", but when i picked it up it was there. Then noticed it was rubbing on the rear shock. I just looked and it was a service bulletin, not a recall, but still should be fixed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Cheers for that... yeah I tried that and I only get CR159 - A key replacement...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm wondering when this happens if the shock would decompress all the way to full soft preload, this would be the case if its lost all its fluid right? Then potentially the shock would be bottoming out more often which could lead to other issues/ stress on parts / mounts etc ... ah crap now I cant sleep...

The person at the Ducati Dealership who I need to talk to is a way till next week... bit of a pain as I just want to ride this bike, do some two up trips but not risking it until its sorted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lost fluid from reservoir on my XDiavel. Not good, bottomed out - especially the leaking all over back tyre.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts