Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from the "northwet" ...what I've got here is a good problem ...as I shop for for a new Multi I see there are dealers with a few 2016 P/P's and S models left over and discounted pretty good.
Having not had a chance to compare both ,back to back (understandably dealer doesn't want to put miles on new unit) and haven't ridden either, I'm reaching out for some feed back from those that have.
I've had lots of Ducatis (three currently), some I've put Ohlins( in rear) on and the result is a wonderful improvement ... but in watching Utube videos and reading stuff online ,most people seem happy with the new Skyhook

( I'm new to this Forum ,and have done some searching on this subject here on the Forum, but most info/dialog/feedback seems to be on some of the earlier 2010-2014 unit's ) maybe I've missed some threads tho
Seems there is more "bang for the buck" with the 1200S ...cost is a consideration , but not the only one . As I'm in my sixties , and have slowed down some, with more aches and pains (part of the reason for the Multi)
I'm wondering if there is any of you out there that have bought the "S" , but wished they had stepped up for the P/P with the Ohlins ? or visaversa got the Ohlins but but wish they had saved some bucks,
and had the ease (of the electronic options) of changing settings on the fly, etc ...I assume the ride quality is smoother on the SkyHook , but does it feel more "artificial" for lack of a better word ?
Does the Ohlins have a better feel , more feedback, more "planted" ? some of the sales-weenies at dealerships I've spoken to don't know any more about than I do about these models/ and my questions <sigh>

Thanks in advance for any advise/ help / tips
Xmas Cheers

·
Registered
270 Posts
When I was looking about two years ago, I rode both (back to back) A 2014 PP and my current 2015 1200S and chose the later for a few reasons:
Comfort-, to be able to change the suspension setting on the fly as well as motor/abs/dwc/tc...
Price-Got mine for $20,250 OTD (2015) Leftover new.
I had no plans to race/track my bike, so the Ohlins was not a necessity. And after having mine for over two years, I would do the same again. Even if the cost was exactly the same.
Either way, you can't go wrong. But being close to your age, I think the 1200s would make more sense.
Good luck.
George.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Pikes Peak all the way , once Ohlins is set up it`s suspension nirvana .

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you get the Pikes Peak, you're essentially paying for Ohlins, a term slip-on and some carbon.

The slip-on adds nothing power-wise. Maybe it sounds better, but I don't know how you judge that.

The Ohlins is a very good suspension, but the rear shock spring is meant for riding 2-up (although I've seen someone complain that it's too soft for hard riding 2-up). I had it adjusted the best they could for me (low 180 lbs in gear/don't ride 2-up or with bags) and I think it works just fine. .... which I'm sure the 1200S suspension would too. I've never had bikes with electronically adjustable/adjusting suspensions, but I've had a couple of cars with it. In my experience, the more comfortable the ride gets, the less feedback you get from the road. However, I was getting enough feel from the road for spirited driving. Additionally, I replaced those cars once the warranty period was up. I guess I could have extended the warranty too... but at some point the issue becomes the time you spend hanging out at the dealership.

The carbon fiber is ridiculously expensive and attracts rocks.

I think the livery is fine, but I would be fine with just red too.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have the 2017 1200s.....if I was doing it again, I'd get the bike without skyhook. Unless you weigh 60-70kgs the rear shock is to soft.... And try and find an uprated spring! I suspect the ohlins spring is alot easier to find.

Im a big guy and wouldn't even attempt to ride 2 up!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have the 2017 1200s.....if I was doing it again, I'd get the bike without skyhook. Unless you weigh 60-70kgs the rear shock is to soft.... And try and find an uprated spring! I suspect the ohlins spring is alot easier to find.

Im a big guy and wouldn't even attempt to ride 2 up!
I was told the Ohlins spring is a one-off, but IIRC someone on here was able to sub it out with some other Ohlins shock's spring for 2 up riding.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ohlins stuff is serviceable, not too sure on the Skyhook. Ohlins makes several fork springs, but only one different shock spring. I had two different shock springs custom made and delivered in under 3 weeks each time, price was around $140 plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I just think there is more options without skyhook.... The idea is good, but the spring sucks! 2up with luggage, the thing must really drag its arse! I just feel whacking loads of compression on it to compensate is going to end blowing the seals out.... Just my opinion.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Before I bought my current Pikes Peak, I rode a Skyhook equipped bike as well and the Ohlins equipped Pikes Peak right after and it was hands down a much significant, better handling bike! I've modified my suspension in the mean time as the springs are indeed WAY too soft for my size and kind of riding. Even the '10 plain MultiStrada that blew its motor right before purchase of the PP had the suspension modified to stiffer springs and it transformed the bikes capabilities! What I did find out in the process is that Ohlins does not offer stiffer springs for the rear shock as it is a 'one-off model' so you'll have to look elsewhere which I did. But apparently they do supply stiffer springs for the fork . . .

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought the Pikes Peak in 16... I have a 2012 Pikes Peak as well.
I have ridden both generations of Skyhook bikes and just found them to be somewhat detached, and numb comparatively speaking.
Im sure you will be happy with either, but for me the Pikes Peak just does it, and it has to do with the suspension, and knowing that I don't have to fuss with servos, and sensor issues long term. I will have this bike for the long haul

Reactions: sixfive

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
The Ohlins is a better suspension... the Skyhook is a more flexible suspension.

Which you choose really depends a lot on what you're looking for in your multi. I'd only get the Ohlins over the Skyhook if I could upgrade it easily to semi-active. As good as Ohlins is, any fixed setup is only optimal for a relatively small range of riding conditions... so for all the other riding conditions the Skyhook would be the better choice. If you only ride on the track on or clean smooth pavement by yourself with no luggage then you'll never notice - but if you ride varies from rough to smooth, tarmac to dirt, and sometimes with luggage or 2 up and sometimes solo then you'll definitely notice the difference.

The Skyhook is not as good as Ohlins but it's not bad... and the ability to adjust to conditions on the fly is something I use frequently, but if you're someone who really wants the best setup possible then Ohlins is the way to go.

Reactions: ChrisE

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the feedback...now I'm really confused (just kidding) Good points all , and don't disagree with anything said, but I'm not ready to make a command decision yet,
Wish I could ride them both back to back like one member did <sigh> however there is some bright object in sky today , unlike the "liquid sunshine" we've had the last few weeks,
so am gonna try and venture into the big city this week and at least try the 1200S w/skyhook ...and then stand there and drool on the PikesPeak . I do like the graphics and extra goodies ,
but I like the solid red also , I'll report back and probably have more questions

Hey TherapyRider thanks for the link to another similar thread like this, that didn't come up when I did a search last week, more good dialog there too .

Does any one know if the 2016 P/P/Ohlins is compatible with the Ohlins SCU (semi active suspension control unit) ? I read some discussion on another Forum (I forget which one it was)
about this TTX36EC for Mechatronics model for 2012, 13 and on for 300 euros...I went on Ohlins site , I think they said it is/was released on 4/30/13 .
There were some wires coming from it like it was a "plug and play " deal . will it work with the DVT units?

I do like Ohlins though, and have had great luck on a number of scooters...for example An older BMW R1100GS (still have) I put a pair on F+R, 20 years ago and they are still magic as the day I rolled it off the center stand,
and if I had my eyes closed would have thought my crappy road from the house had been repaved <smile> I hardly ever messed with them after setting sag, com/rebound/etc etc years ago
wish reminds me of another question , can the skyhook be set/dialed in to eliminate more of the front end dive under hard braking like the Tellelever front of the BMW ?

Having said all that going forward my lovely Italian wife doesn't care to ride with me anymore as we've gotten older , so all my riding will be one up , touring more limited than past, but will add the bags ,
and better windshield, and seat (guess I have a Corbin butt, I have bought a bunch of his seats) and I'm 6'2, and a skinny 245 + with gear on (grin> Anyone think I'll have to change the spring on either model?

again thanks in advance for the help
Analog David

·
Registered
431 Posts
, can the skyhook be set/dialed in to eliminate more of the front end dive under hard braking like the Tellelever front of the BMW ?

Having said all that going forward my lovely Italian wife doesn't care to ride with me anymore as we've gotten older , so all my riding will be one up , touring more limited than past, but will add the bags ,
and better windshield, and seat (guess I have a Corbin butt, I have bought a bunch of his seats) and I'm 6'2, and a skinny 245 + with gear on (grin> Anyone think I'll have to change the spring on either model?

again thanks in advance for the help
Analog David
Not sure about the skyhook. The Ohlins does have some front end dive compared to the telelever, but then again nothing quite performs like the telelever with respect to alleviating dive. I will say that the front end dive only registers with me at stop lights/coming to a complete halt. While cornering it is remarkably composed/has great feel.

I think at 245 you should be in the sweet spot for the spring... unless you're loading up your bags.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I had Ohlins on my Ducati 996, have Ohlins front and rear on my Ducati 1098S, updated the rear Ohlins to a TTX and put the WSB fork valves in, my Panigale 1299S and also on my Aprilia Tuono, put on after the fact.

So as you can see, I love my Ohlins, and sports bike handling is my primary item to get done when I get a bike. My '98 R1 has RaceTech compression and rebound valves in the forks and a Penske tripe click shock out back.

But I have the Skyhook on my '15 Multistrada and I have to say I'm very satisfied with it.

For me, my MS is a sports touring bike, the adjustability between touring and sport mode it great. I run my engine in sport mode for as much power as it will give, but change my suspension between sport and touring depending on the area of road that I am riding.

The Touring suspension mode is so plush yet so controlled, I probably use it 80% of the time.

I'm also fortunate that I fall within the weight range for the OEM spring weights.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

I'm also of the opinion, the slight edge the Ohlins may have on the Pikes Peak is not going to raise the level handling up to that of a full on sports bike like the 1299 or 1098.

Reactions: wmfleet2

·
Registered
270 Posts
Here are my settings that Dave Moss helped me get perfect. These are my rider only settings (luggage and passenger are higher on the preload.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Having not had a chance to compare both ,back to back (understandably dealer doesn't want to put miles on new unit)...
Wish I could ride them both back to back...
Hi there, and cool choice for a name!

Why are you making excuses for the dealer? You're planning on giving them 20grand,,,!! Go there and ask/demand a test ride on BOTH. Sheesh, you as the consumer are well within your rights to do so.

Broadly speaking, IF your riding is at 70-80% then the skyhook should be fine, IF you're pushing AND you appreciate and want a classic feeling suspension, get the Ohlins. Either way, don't lose out on the ability to choose btwn the 4 modes; Sport,Touring etc.. Gluck!

Reactions: Stick and DaveNZ

·
Registered
592 Posts
Does any one know if the 2016 P/P/Ohlins is compatible with the Ohlins SCU (semi active suspension control unit) ?

I don`t think it is , the Ohlins mechtronic scu is only compatable with mitsubishi if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I bought the 1200S because of Skyhook. 90% of the time I'm in touring mode. Bumps just disappear. When I want to get a little more aggressive, just put it in sport mode with the touch of a button and it is plenty sporty enough for an old fart like me. I never ride 2 up so being too soft is not a problem. The suspension is the best part of this bike.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does any one know if the 2016 P/P/Ohlins is compatible with the Ohlins SCU (semi active suspension control unit) ? I read some discussion on another Forum (I forget which one it was)
about this TTX36EC for Mechatronics model for 2012, 13 and on for 300 euros...I went on Ohlins site , I think they said it is/was released on 4/30/13 .
There were some wires coming from it like it was a "plug and play " deal . will it work with the DVT units?

No... The DVT bikes are traditional Manually adjustable Ohlins. Only the 2010-2012 bikes that came with DES (electrically adjustable Ohlins) can use the SCU upgrade.

Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 31 Posts