Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just probably a dumb question about heated grips on my '16 p.p., I looked at page 280 and all it says that the button is on the right side so I figure I ask you guys for a better answer.
I was out the other day and since everyone brags about the heated grips (I never had them) I figure I try them out and see what the fuzz is all about.
well maybe I'm missing something but nothing happens when you push the button, no warmth nor dash idiot light comes on so maybe I'm doing something wrong?
I think the white on the button has wore out from me pushing, any way, any clue?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
706 Posts
My 2016 Pikes Peak didn't come with heated grips. They are an option you can add later. You can verify on yours if you look at either side grip. If there are wires coming off the rubber going into the harness you have heat, if no wires no heat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No heated grips as stock on the Pikes Peak, can confirm. I bought the touring pack shortly after purchase with grips, center stand, and bags. They aren't the hottest grips i've ever had on a bike, but combined with the hand guards, they are pretty darn nice in the cold winter rainy months!

·
Registered
137 Posts
No heated grips as stock on the Pikes Peak, can confirm. I bought the touring pack shortly after purchase with grips, center stand, and bags. They aren't the hottest grips i've ever had on a bike, but combined with the hand guards, they are pretty darn nice in the cold winter rainy months!
you need to add the touring pack to get heated grips. I did that from the get go and haven't regretted it yet

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was great help guys, thank you!
Never had them before and now I'm a step closer, if I have them, that's where I would turn tnem on, aaaaha!
Thruth of the matter when it gets below 50 degrees and I hear my teeth clacking under the helmet, tnat's when the fun of riding slims down fast.
Thanks for the help all!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I never leave home without them. My bikes have either come with heated grips or I have added them after market. I used them extensively in Colorado and now even in TX I use them when it gets below 60 such as my morning commutes. Just makes it way more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
If you don't have them and you live anywhere that you might want to ride in temps from the mid 50's Fahrenheit down... get them. I can extend my summer gloves into the low 50's with the grips on low, and my heavy gloves keep my hands tolerable down into the 20's with them on medium. I've found that high is just too hot for my gloves, I'd need something thicker that spread the heat to the back of my hands instead of just cooking my palms while the rest of my hand stays cold.

that is all...

Reactions: complexCarlo

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe I'll give it a shot, is this plug and play or another one of those things that the dealer has to turn on electronically?
Cheers!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Maybe I'll give it a shot, is this plug and play or another one of those things that the dealer has to turn on electronically?
Cheers!
The heated grips work the same as the aux lights. You can't just plug them in and expect them to work. The bike must be taken to the dealer and they use the Ducati service tool to turn the grips on in the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't waste your money. Spent close to $700 for heated grips on my 2016 PP and can barely tell they are on even with bare hands. Took it back to the dealer. They compared it to another Multi and said it's working. Its a complete waste of $$. I turn on my 2016 GSA heated grips and can not even put it on high as it gets extremly hot. I wish I could return the damn thing.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Don't waste your money. Spent close to $700 for heated grips on my 2016 PP and can barely tell they are on even with bare hands. Took it back to the dealer. They compared it to another Multi and said it's working. Its a complete waste of $$. I turn on my 2016 GSA heated grips and can not even put it on high as it gets extremly hot. I wish I could return the damn thing.
That doesn't sound right. I've had factory heated grips on three multis, and the high setting on all of them has been damn near nuclear.

Reactions: complexCarlo

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't see any diff between Low, Med and high setting. I can barely feel the heat on high setting. The sales guy at the dealer has a 2015 and his grips get extremely hot. What could be the difference between 2015 and 2016 Multi to cause this? anyone else experiencing this issue. These grips cost me ~$700 installed.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My 2017 heated grips are proper toasty! But I do wear summer gloves all the time as I prefer the feel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't see any diff between Low, Med and high setting. I can barely feel the heat on high setting. The sales guy at the dealer has a 2015 and his grips get extremely hot. What could be the difference between 2015 and 2016 Multi to cause this? anyone else experiencing this issue. These grips cost me ~$700 installed.
I've had the same experience on my 2016 S with the factory heated grips. I can barely feel them on at high, although I have been riding in low 30 deg F temps. Coming off an old Honda with one of those $40 kits you install under the original grips, it's disappointing, those were almost too hot on high. I've got to think there's something wrong with the Ducati grips but I haven't measured temps at all three settings to compare.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had the same experience on my 2016 S with the factory heated grips. I can barely feel them on at high, although I have been riding in low 30 deg F temps. Coming off an old Honda with one of those $40 kits you install under the original grips, it's disappointing, those were almost too hot on high. I've got to think there's something wrong with the Ducati grips but I haven't measured temps at all three settings to compare.
I am taking it back next Friday to see what the dealer can find out. This will be the 2nd trip. Hope there is a new part# for the grips and this gets resolved. I ride everyday and mornings are in the low 30's and the reason I got these. Will update.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
There's probably no difference between the grips on different MY of bikes, they should all get hot. The ones you have just aren't functioning properly. Either they are dodgy out of the box (not unheard of), or maybe were not installed right.

Hope your dealer can sort it out for you.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
I'm guessing they changed the design because they were burning out... but the heated grips on my 15 are so hot I've never used higher than medium... and that was when temps were below 35f (I've ridden in the mid-high 20's and still didn't need to switch to high) That's a good thing because low is a bit too warm for the higher range of temps where I use heated grips, and I always worry I'm going to let them overheat and burn out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am taking it back next Friday to see what the dealer can find out. This will be the 2nd trip. Hope there is a new part# for the grips and this gets resolved. I ride everyday and mornings are in the low 30's and the reason I got these. Will update.
Any feedback from the dealer? I'm scheduled in next Friday for the coolant hose recall and want them to check out the grips.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts