Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2016 Multistrada 1200- What's the deal?

I am looking for my next bike and wanted to consider a Multistrada 1200. There are a LOT of 2016 leftovers sitting in dealer showrooms, now with discounted prices. So I'm wondering why? Is it a coincidence? I've read a lot of reports of issues and recalls with this bike. Should it scare me away? Competition is BMW R1200 R and R1200RS and Aprilia Tuono. Appreciate any input or intel owners have.

About me:
6'4", 215 lbs
Riding for 22 years
Currently on a Triumph Sprint ST (wish they still made it)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am looking for my next bike and wanted to consider a Multistrada 1200. There are a LOT of 2016 leftovers sitting in dealer showrooms, now with discounted prices. So I'm wondering why? Is it a coincidence? I've read a lot of reports of issues and recalls with this bike. Should it scare me away? Competition is BMW R1200 R and R1200RS and Aprilia Tuono. Appreciate any input or intel owners have.

About me:
6'4", 215 lbs
Riding for 22 years
It's an awesome bike, my 2nd now, you're gonna love it !

Sent from my SM-T705W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
dealers are likely just making room for new models. I'm on my third. Bought a brand new '16 Pikes Peak in December of '17 after an accident destroyed my other '16 PP, dealer just happened to have one left. I'm a bit taller and heavier than you are and have NO complaints except I redid the suspension . . . left over models are not a representation of issues or problems in my opinion

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts

About me:
6'4", 215 lbs
Riding for 22 years
I'd say the competition is the S1000XR... no other bike fits the same niche (maybe the Triumph Explorer - but it's a step and a half behind the other two), it's a LOT different than any R1200... and a lot different than the super naked's like the Tuono. (all are great bikes... just different).

I don't think you're likely to have any more issues with 16 Multi as you would with any of your other options... but they're all European bikes so will require regular maintenance. If you want bulletproof I'd suggest a Super Tenere or Africa Twin.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm 6' 185lbs, and also own a Sprint as well. It's going up for sale very soon! The Multi is heads and shoulders above the Sprint in comfort, engine, suspension, electronics, etc...

I bought a leftover '16 Multi standard touring last october, and I love this bike!!! I do need to get it in for the water hose recall soon though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm 6' 185lbs, and also own a Sprint as well. It's going up for sale very soon! The Multi is heads and shoulders above the Sprint in comfort, engine, suspension, electronics, etc...

I bought a leftover '16 Multi standard touring last october, and I love this bike!!! I do need to get it in for the water hose recall soon though.
Thanks for the input. Hope to do a test ride this week. You may be correct about most of those items, but I actually prefer the Sprint's more sporty riding position. So to me one of the drawbacks of the Multi is the very upright old man position. I find leaning forward puts less pressure on the back and is quite comfortable.

·
Registered
373 Posts

About me:
6'4", 215 lbs
Riding for 22 years

Get the 2016 and you won’t be disappointed AT ALL!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Let's not forget the KTM 12xx series as competition to the Multi; however, I dumped my 1290 SA in favor of the Multi Enduro. Twas the best decision, by far...

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Let's not forget the KTM 12xx series as competition to the Multi; however, I dumped my 1290 SA in favor of the Multi Enduro. Twas the best decision, by far...
Yep depending on what you're looking for... closest competitors to the Multi are IMO the S1000XR and then the 1290SA, both great bikes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think we can forget the KTM as you said dumping it for the Multi was the best decision so far.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I switched from a 14' ST to a RS 1200 and never looked back I love the BOXER Liquid cooled on RS configuration a lot of torque, comfortable and the best technology in the market

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought mine used in August with 700 miles and immediately put 8k on it doing a 3 week cross country.

Here is my impression:
It's a great bike that is super versatile. It's fast, a blast to ride and handles extremely well.

The stock seat absolutely sucks and it's not totally solvable. The seat is shaped like a U and really locks you in position not allowing you to move forward or backwards much to avoid pressure points.

Being 5'5", I wasn't going to be able to make a russell daylong work (they only make a "sport seat") and anyway, I didn't have enough time to order anything. I lucked out and found a KonTour seat used for $200 a few days before we left and the seat is AMAZING in hot weather and is far more comfortable then the stock unit (A Pain in the butt?).

I found the forward lean to be too much for long ride so I was able to fit 2' rox risers on without ever adjusting cables, they made a huge difference.

If your into travel, the bike actually makes a great 400-500 mile per day bike, beyond that and you'll be squirming and standing on the pegs.

I owned Ducati's during the 90's so I shopped around and opted to buy an RPM One Platinum 5 year Warranty for $850 which makes me feel much better about the cost of ownership. I can deal with $1200-$1500 miles every 18K plus tires, chains and brakes.

Over all it has been an amazing bike that I plan on keeping for years so long as I can keep my license.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be honest, the only reason I am considering a Multi is the allure of owning a Ducati. I don't really like the Adventure style bikes much and have no desire to take it off road. But I don't fit very well on any other Duc. Too big for a Monster (which is ironic), and while the new Diavel series looks cool, just not for me. Wish Ducati would make a true sport tourer like my old Triumph Sprint or the BMW R1200RS. Guess there's no market for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have a 1200 S 2016 with 11000 miles and absolutely been flawless other than brake and water hose recall. Dealership that has done recalls ( Go AZ in Peoria, Az) lets you demo any of their bikes ( Ducati, KTM, BMW, Triumph, Aprilla ) so always enjoy riding different bikes while work is being done. Not sure if any other Dealers have such an awesome policy -local Honda and Yamaha dealers don't even give test rides when trying to buy a motorcycle.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Take it for a ride and see what you think.

To be honest, I started riding about 50 years ago and am not a fan of the ADV bike concept at all (seems like a poser deal to me).

It has taken me ten years or so to even give it a try. But my back no longer tolerates 996 or S1000RR type bike (which are my natural preference, and I've owned both recently) so I transitioned to Monsters and Street Triple Rs, and test rode KTM Super Duke Rs and BMW S1000Rs and XRs.

KTM was okay but didn't really turn me knobs, BMWs were okay (but de-nutted compared to the S1000R I already owned).

The Multi spoke to me in a way that none of the others did.

Honestly, with any motorcycle, it's all about the character of the engine. If the engine is engaging and inspiring (and it doesn't have to be overwhelming...my 675 Street Triple R is a perfect example) then the bike is fun and memorable, and you look forward to riding it again tomorrow.

Most any Ducati fulfills the above...for me. Whether it does the same for you is another matter, and only you can answer that question.

If you lived near me, I would be happy to let you ride my Multi and see if it "does it" for you.

If you post your location, perhaps someone will make the same offer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2011 with 48000km. Loved every minute on it.
The main problem I had was the cracks in the engine heads after 30000km, due to the incompatibility between coolant type and cylinder head metal, apparently. It was a scary thing, but everything was replaced under warranty obviously. No other issues with the bike for me. In fact, I'll be looking for a new one this spring, or very close to new.
The S1000XR is a very nice alternative, but a Ducati is a Ducati. :)
As far as riding position, I used to have sport tourers where I was slightly leaning forward, and i liked the fact that my spine wouldnt get crushed at every bump, but actually, the upright position of the Multi is very confortable on long rides. And this bike loves long rides.
Go try it.
Oh btw, I'm 6'2"

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,374 Posts
Go for the 13-14 GT's. Still a few low mile still on show room and you can avoid the disaster that is the DVT motor :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Go for the 13-14 GT's. Still a few low mile still on show room and you can avoid the disaster that is the DVT motor :)
Ha! Haters gonna hate! ;)
A DVT with all the ECU updates and a RapidBike EVO, is a thing a beauty! Even before intake and exhaust mods.
My '15 DVT is my commuter, errand runner, and weekend toy. I'm totally in love with her. I feel bad, because I want to miss my beloved Speed Triple that I traded for the MTS, but the love is too great for the MTS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my 2016 MS1200S touring at the end of 2016, and have put 12000 since then. Used it for commuting, touring, canyon carving and off road riding. Absolutely love this motorcycle. Had absolutely no issues except the two factory recalls, one of them for Brembo breakers. If you decide to buy this bike, you may want to consider changing stock screen. IMO, this is a much better bike then BMW S1000XR. I have ridden 400 mile days in stock seat with no problems.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts