Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local Ducati dealership has a 2016 Enduro marked down with 0 miles, does anyone have any issues with this bike is it a good purchase or should I stay away.

·
Registered
303 Posts
A great bike, especially if you get the full, two year warranty. I did this last year; went hunting and found a new, old-stock, dealer, 2017 Enduro for CAN15k with 2 years of warranty on it when I bought it. During the hunting phase, I read lots of reports, reviews and scanned for recalls and TSBs. Just one recall for the rear shock lower mount; this had been resolved by the dealer already. I got them to add Touratech panniers and crash bar and heated grips. All in including tax was just over CAN$20k. The Enduro is not for everyone; they are really BIG bikes and you need long legs to feel comfortable at a stop. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A great bike, especially if you get the full, two year warranty. I did this last year; went hunting and found a new, old-stock, dealer, 2017 Enduro for CAN15k with 2 years of warranty on it when I bought it. During the hunting phase, I read lots of reports, reviews and scanned for recalls and TSBs. Just one recall for the rear shock lower mount; this had been resolved by the dealer already. I got them to add Touratech panniers and crash bar and heated grips. All in including tax was just over CAN$20k. The Enduro is not for everyone; they are really BIG bikes and you need long legs to feel comfortable at a stop. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2017 950 paid off I was gonna trade it in on the 16 they've drop the price to 16,000 it has zero miles on the bike I just thought since I didn't owe anything on the 2017 to get the upgraded Enduro with all the extra bells and whistles. warranty runs out the end of this month though unfortunately but it's 60 months 0% interest but have been reading alot of comments about issues with that year which kinda makes me leary about buying it.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I have a 2017 950 paid off I was gonna trade it in on the 16 they've drop the price to 16,000 it has zero miles on the bike I just thought since I didn't owe anything on the 2017 to get the upgraded Enduro with all the extra bells and whistles. warranty runs out the end of this month though unfortunately but it's 60 months 0% interest but have been reading alot of comments about issues with that year which kinda makes me leary about buying it.
if it's a new bike from a dealer shouldn't it come with a two year warranty?

I don't know I'd be inclined to keep a paid off 17 950.

·
Registered
152 Posts
For $16k I wouldn’t do it. By the time you add dealer fees, freight, assembly, etc you’ll at the same level of buying a 2020 950S (which brings all the bells and whistles + the 19” front wheel) or if you dog well a 2019 1260 left over for not much more (if any).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just complementing my post above, here in my zipcode the NADA guide is giving the low-retail/trade-in value of a 2016 Enduro Red as $11.3k, with an average retail price of $14k.
If you buy this one at 16k (+freight +fees +etc) you’ll have negative equity on the bike before you even leave the dealer and put 1 mile on it.

Of course you’ll always lose money on a bike bought new, it’s expected and normal, but you normally do that and expect that from a bike from the year or at maximum from last year. In this case you’ll be getting a 4yo bike paying a total OTD price way above justifiable.

·
Registered
279 Posts
When it came to my 2016 (non-enduro) leftover I bought new last fall, the dealer had registered it under their name (likely to meet a sales target) and as such, the original factory warranty was activated and expired when I took ownership.

My dealer threw in a 3 year comprehensive third party warranty on the sale, so I'm reasonably pleased (and got a smoking deal)

·
Registered
45 Posts
For $16k I wouldn’t do it. By the time you add dealer fees, freight, assembly, etc you’ll at the same level of buying a 2020 950S (which brings all the bells and whistles + the 19” front wheel) or if you dog well a 2019 1260 left over for not much more (if any).
^^^ This.
I'd tell them "Look, I'd love to help you get that 4 year old bike off your showroom floor, but your asking price is still way too high, especially without Ducati's 2 year warranty".
I paid a thousand less than that (out the door) for a NOS 2016 1200S in April of last year. Plus the warranty wasn't activated until I took possession of it, so I got the full 2 years.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
^^^ This.
I'd tell them "Look, I'd love to help you get that 4 year old bike off your showroom floor, but your asking price is still way too high, especially without Ducati's 2 year warranty".
I paid a thousand less than that (out the door) for a NOS 2016 1200S in April of last year. Plus the warranty wasn't activated until I took possession of it, so I got the full 2 years.
Yep, since the bike has no warranty it really should be treated as a low mileage used bike and price accordingly.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
if it's a new bike from a dealer shouldn't it come with a two year warranty?

I don't know I'd be inclined to keep a paid off 17 950.
Some dealers play accounting games by putting bikes on their books in a way that triggers the warranty timer even if the bike has never been sold.

IMO if the bike has zero miles but doesn't come with a 2 year mfg warranty I'd expect the dealer to include a warranty that's completely equivalent to the mfg warranty (or even more of a discount). A 2016 is 5 years old... it's going to need desmo service THIS year even if you don't put a mile on it ($1500 or so)... I'd have them paying for that too. In my experience bikes that sit are as prone to significant issues as bikes that are ridden are... so I'd not assume the bike will be free from issues because it's not been ridden... personally I'd rather buy a 2016 that's been owned and ridden (and maintained with full documentation) a few thousand miles a year than one that's sat. I see them online with 15k'ish miles for $12k-$14k... that's the price range I'd be looking at for a new but out of warranty bike.

... If I was doing the warranty myself I'd get a 3 year at least... but not sure how easy it is to get an extended warranty on a zero mile 5 year old bike. If I couldn't get a decent extended warranty I'd not buy at all... but I'm risk averse so ymmv.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would rather buy a five year old bike with 15k miles than one with zero. When it comes to mechanical systems, disuse is only slightly behind misuse in it's damage potential.

·
Registered
152 Posts
...... A 2016 is 5 years old... it's going to need desmo service THIS year even if you don't put a mile on it ($1500 or so)... I'd have them paying for that too. In my experience bikes that sit are as prone to significant issues as bikes that are ridden are...
EXCELLENT points!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If any deal has had any new vehicle on their floor for 4 or 5 years, regardless of the reason they want it gone. If the price is high enough that you are asking others if it's a good deal then it's likely too high. I love me some 2 year old (or more) still new bikes but unless I feel like a criminal when I'm riding it off of their lot I've paid too much.

·
Registered
375 Posts
DaveK is absolutely correct when it comes to dealerships cooking the books by activating the warranty, even though the bike has not been sold and still has 0 miles or is still considered in new condition when sold. Thats what happened to me. Dealership failed to disclose that I only had 1 year of warranty left despite my bike being sold as new..

But the dealership made it right by adding another year by purchasing an extended warranty for me, which was actually better than the original warranty.

In my opinion, purchasing a leftover model in new condition is the best way to save money and get a new bike. You can save 4-5k off the MSRP. And I NEVER pay for freight and set up. The dealership will always give in, so don't pay it. For me, those fees become the deal breaker. I can easily walk away from the sale.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts