Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock 2016 Monster 1200R w/~3K miles.

I'm happy with the look/sound of the stock mufflers, but would like to remove the catalytic converter (as I do with all my bikes).

Where is it on my Monster? Is it possible to remove the cat, but keep the stock mufflers?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
They're definitely in the silencers which weigh a ton.
Removing the cats are not worth the effort. Just get a slip-on which will eliminate both the cats and the weight.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're definitely in the silencers which weigh a ton.
Removing the cats are not worth the effort. Just get a slip-on which will eliminate both the cats and the weight.
I was afraid someone would say they're in the mufflers, lol. Not looking forward to coughing up ~$1,800 for some Termi slip-ons.........

When you buy the Termis w/the map upgrade, how do you load the new map? Is that a DIY or Dealer job?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Yes they are in the stock cans.

A quality single can can 6-800.

A dual termi no map is 1200. I went that route. Since the power gains are very slim with key. Since a slip on fits after the headers and same diameter I don’t think you really need a remap.

Here a pic of the cat inside the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes they are in the stock cans.

A quality single can can 6-800.

A dual termi no map is 1200. I went that route. Since the power gains are very slim with key. Since a slip on fits after the headers and same diameter I don’t think you really need a remap.

Here a pic of the cat inside the stock.

Dual Termi w/no map for $1200? The dual Termi kits I've seen are ~$1750. Are you suggesting that the extra $550 is just for a new map? At that price difference, couldn't I just get a Dyno tune?

To remove the cat on my Harleys, I simply saw the head pipe in half (in the middle of the cat), gut the catalytic honeycomb material, then weld the two halves of the head pipe back together. Can the stock Duacti Monster 1200 R mufflers also be gutted, or do they not really survive the operation?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Dual Termi w/no map for $1200? The dual Termi kits I've seen are ~$1750. Are you suggesting that the extra $550 is just for a new map? At that price difference, couldn't I just get a Dyno tune?

To remove the cat on my Harleys, I simply saw the head pipe in half (in the middle of the cat), gut the catalytic honeycomb material, then weld the two halves of the head pipe back together. Can the stock Duacti Monster 1200 R mufflers also be gutted, or do they not really survive the operation?

Thanks
Very few dyno tuners can crack the Monster's Continental Synerject Easy-U1 ECU.
You can get a quality Slip-On such as SC-Project for much less than $1000 and it will run ok without a tune as long as you don't choose the full blown racing version.
https://www.scproject-shop.com/ducati_monster_1200_R_carbon_conic_e.htm
https://www.scproject-shop.com/ducati_monster_1200_R_oval_carbon_e.htm

About your Harley comment: That reminds me to tighten the guy-wires on my biplane.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very few dyno tuners can crack the Monster's Continental Synerject Easy-U1 ECU.
You can get a quality Slip-On such as SC-Project for much less than $1000 and it will run ok without a tune as long as you don't choose the full blown racing version.
https://www.scproject-shop.com/ducati_monster_1200_R_carbon_conic_e.htm
https://www.scproject-shop.com/ducati_monster_1200_R_oval_carbon_e.htm

About your Harley comment: That reminds me to tighten the guy-wires on my biplane.
I'm sure the SC project is a cool piece, but I just prefer the look of the Termi.

Having said that, what are my choices for a 1200R? Full system, slip on w/remap, slip on w/o remap? What do you suggest?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I do believe the R has slightly larger headers diameters, after the exhaust before the slip on side. So I don’t think a full system will gain anything besides losing weight.

I did reflash through redline with my termi slip ons for my streetfighter. That felt nicer. I might do that with my monster 1200r. But haven’t heard anyone say they’ve done this yet.

I do believe the 1200R has been tuned and tweaked from the factory for all it can do, elliptical throttle bodies and wider headers get you the 10hp over the S.

But I’m sure someone out there with dyno and the rexxar software to get into the map could squeeze some more out.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
what are my choices for a 1200R? Full system, slip on w/remap, slip on w/o remap? What do you suggest? Thanks
Full system Termi is not available for the "R".
Slip-on Termis come with upmap.

But I’m sure someone out there with dyno and the rexxar software to get into the map could squeeze some more out.
Negative. The Rexxer software and EVO box will not crack the Monster 1200 "R" ECU.
You must send your ECU to Rexxer in Yorktown Virginia for surgery.
I have just received mine from Rexxer but have yet to install it. Will post a follow-up.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes that’s what I meant. The redline in Yorktown will do dyno for custom map I believe. The other shops on the rexxer websites only have the preset maps they will load for you.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Please post and report. I’m on the fence about doing it this time around. I did like it in my streetfighter.
Looking forward to providing positive feedback. (read: Hoping).
BTW, flashing the SF was not an issue and would be nice if all Ducati's were easily flashed.
Unfortunately, the LC Monsters and a few others newer models are difficult to do.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Seems like a lot of work and ot money to get rid of a cat. If you were willing to put the stop pipe back on with no cat which won’t give you much extra noise if any why not just leave it alone?

I’d say leave it alone or pay the Termi full kit price and donit right! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but is the upmap that comes with the Termi slip ons something I can load myself?

Thanks
It's not a DIY. The key stick requires a download from the dealer's computer via Ducati's pro website to your DDA port.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I believe it’s a one shot deal. Like it’s mapped or serialized to one bike only. But if someone else knows they can chime in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's not a DIY. The key stick requires a download from the dealer's computer via Ducati's pro website to your DDA port.
If I put the cans on, what should I expect a Dealer to charge me to flash the key stick/upmap with their magic computer?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
If I put the cans on, what should I expect a Dealer to charge me to flash the key stick/upmap with their magic computer?

Thanks
Having purchased several bike, I have a great relationship to the point where we actually had fun experimenting with different keys to see if they would work. BTW, they didn't.
Having said that, if you bought the slip-on there, I can't see them changing you anything but a nominal fee if any.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts