Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a left over at a dealership near me and just wondered if anyone has done any touring on one. The tank is not all that big so I am wondering how many miles I can get between fill ups. Also comfort level, and wind protection. I am a wee bit over 6 feet and about 185 pounds. I have toured on my 2008 1100 Hyper S and found it fine once I changed to the larger tank California Cycle Works sells. Sargent seat. handle bar mounted wind screen and some soft luggage. I Have a little over 26,000 miles on it now. Still works fine. I just want to up grade to ABS, better luggage, traction control, slipper clutch and ride modes. I found a really good deal on some 36 liter Shad hard bags that I think I can mount with very little effort.

Jim

·
Registered
227 Posts
I suppose it depends on what your definition of “touring” is but here are a few stats from my experiences.

-Depending on the pace you like to carry, a full tank on the 939 will last you between 220-300 kms (135-185 miles). That’s one-up with a relatively light load so adding a passenger and luggage will put you south of that.

-From a comfort POV, I’m 6’ and can do a 700 km (430 mile) day with only a seat upgrade (the DP Race sear in my case). Mind you, repeated 700 km days may be problematic...

-Wind protection is basically non-existent so highway “touring” is never going to be great on this bike. There’s a variety of aftermarket wind screens out there that can help re-direct airflow but none of them can make the Hyper a good highway touring bike (you probably know this already from your current Hyper).

-The 939 will give you a good helping of torque above what the 821 has and fueling is quite good. For best results, add the full Termignoni (with upmap) and you’ll be in fueling heaven.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did 400-500 mile freeway days, on my 2015 Hyperstrada, pretty regularly. I'm 6' 240lbs, went pretty much stock, and found it pretty comfortable and only really missing a cruise control.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
I tour on my strada all the time. About 27,000 miles of NE back roads with some highway to get there. Generally fully loaded with camping gear and 4-7 day trips. It's been great - rain, hot, cold - when I get home I pat it down and put it to bed wet.

The windshield and hand guards off more protection than you'd think. Beyond that I dress for the occasion. I think you get about 120 miles without too much worry, which is about 2-3 backroad riding hours. Ive gone about 40 miles after the warning light comes on.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2013 Hyperstrada 821 and it has been a great 'one bike does it all' , almost, after some modifications. However, the tank is a bit small; the specs say it has a 16 litre capacity but I have never put more than 14 in it even after going 60 KM with the light on.
I tour a lot of backcountry and forest service roads where the gas stations can be few and far between, so I'm usually looking for fuel after about 200KM but if I'm not WFO in the mountains I can rely on going 250 K max, sounds like the 939 might get a little better mileage. If I'm going off on an adventure tour with my mate on his KLRI carry 2 or 3 litres of extra fuel. The stock seat is pretty good, I've done a few 800 K (500 mile) days without too much discomfort. My rad did not like hammering over the rough stuff too much, it has started to leak around the fan mounts but the rest of the bike seems to handle it OK. A few bolts tend to loosen.
Does anyone know what has been changed on the 2016 model, apart from the motor and cosmetics? Is the suspension and chassis the same?

Cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Jim, I've got a 2013 SP and a riding buddy has a '13 Strada. We have swapped out a few times and there is really a very small difference. The suspension is a little bit lower (I can touch both feet on his, only the toes on the SP) and the seat on his is much nicer for longer rides. I could ride all day on his seat, but the SP seat is nicer when I hit the track or the twisties. The ABS and traction control are really nice and completely tuneable in the different riding modes. We both found that we prefer the more sensitive throttle response setting of the "Sport/Race" mode and set that to the "Touring/Sport" mode as well. The "Urban/Wet" mode is really nice for rainy days with the earlier intervention of the ABS and TC. When cruising on the backroads, we both get about 125-140 miles before the light comes on, around town and in the twisties we get 110-120 miles.

The slipper clutch can be a bit grabby sometimes when pulling away from a stop, but the slipper feature is one of the smoothest that I've experienced. Be sure to keep the clutch cable lubed up and check for fraying, my buddies cable snapped and left him stranded...

Charles

·
Registered
406 Posts
The 2016 has the lower suspension and an oil cooler hanging off the front. I'm thinking it's a little heavier. Some say it's a little less responsive, in the sense of agility, than the 821s - don't know.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your input. My only concern is the limited range. My planned tour will take me into Texas where I am not sure how far apart the gas stations are. My current air cooled can go over 250 miles before the light comes on so I really like that. I really want the ABS and traction control. Too bad California Cycle Works does not have a tank for the new model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts