Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new Hyper 939 about a week ago and did 1,100 kms over the course of that period. Mostly twisty roads and sweepers. Have been finding information about the Hyper 939 (other than press reviews) a little scarce so here's some thoughts for any owners, potential purchaser or curious ppl.

The first (and constant) thing about the 939 SP is its height. I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and I'm about 1/2 my boot down with both feet. At a stop light, I literally have to lean it over a little to get my foot down. Outside of the awkwardness at stops though, the height changes your perception when riding. When leaned over, you have a LONG way to do before anything touches down (good). When standing on the back wheel, you literally feel like you're up in the sky (this is also partly because of how far forward you are sitting, combined with the bike being tall). I've let a few friends/relatives of mine ride it and the height definitely isn't for everyone, even of you are tall enough to ride it. Personally, I love it. I nicknamed the bike "Stiletto" and that seems to be fitting in every sense of the word.

The seat is a strange thing indeed. On the one hand, it makes sense for a 1-up bike to have this type of "scooped" rider pocket with a flat part at the back for a pillion. On the standard bike or Hyperstrada, this seat is probably logical from an OEM perspective. On the SP however, I find that it makes no sense as you can't shift your weight around as you would on a more "flat" supermoto seat for aggressive riding. There's allegedly a fix in the Ducati Performance Racing seat (on order) but this should have been standard on the SP IMO.

The fuel mapping is a mixed bag. For the first time, I find that the 3 ride modes (wet, sport and race) are actually useful (have ridden/owned many ride-by-wire bikes in the past and find ride modes to be more or a marketing thing; I usually set it in the most aggressive one and leave it there). The stock "wet mode" settings are good for adverse weather conditions, the "sport mode" is good for all-around riding and the "race mode", preferred for hooligan antics and track duty (less preferable for easy riding as the power delivery is very sharp). Fueling when the motor is in the colder temp range (72-90 degrees F) is acceptable and generally smooth. There is some abruptness when on/off throttle, some stuttering around 5k RPM and some very strange engine braking (particularly in 1st gear) in all modes. None of these are deal breakers but will be familiar to anyone who has ridden a bike with the Testastretta 11 degree motor before. Power delivery is much improved over the 821, with abundant torque, particularly in 1st-3rd gear and wheelie antics can easily ensue at just about any time. Being just over the 1,000 km mark, I haven't revved the pants off it yet but the motor seems plenty willing at high revs.

Suspension is a high point (no pun intended). Favoring stiffness over compliance, I was able to scrub the back tire in completely without much effort, the bike offering all kinds of cornering confidence. It's truly a scalpel in twisty stuff and defies all logic. The stock settings were decent but required some tweaking for my riding style -rear was skipping too easily under heavy throttle and needed adjustment. I'm on the fence about the Supercorsas but unsure if my dis-satisfaction with straight-line hook-up is due to suspension, seating position/weight distribution, or just the fact that they aren't the right tire (compared to say, a Dunlop Q3). Time will tell.

Brakes are great. I have these same Brembo M4-32's on my Streetfighter 1098 and can confirm they're up-to-task for street or track. The radial master cylinder on the SP offers some improved feel over the base bike I test-rode which is nice.

Overall, I'm very happy with the bike. Have the full Termignoni system on the way (airbox, ECU, etc), with fingers crossed that the new fuel map, combined with lighter weight (and better sound) will make this bike 100% right. Will add to this tread once I've gathered some thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Interesting that Ducati still misses things like a seat on a 16k bike.

I just sold my 796 Hypermoto to a neighbor and now only have a Scrambler in the garage (not counting a BMWF800GS). I lover that little bike and it gets ridden several times a week now that summer is here. I do miss having a more dedicated sport bike and while perusing a second scrambler to "build up" while at the dealer, they had a brand new Hypermotard SP which really caught my eye.

I am only 5'9" tall but have ridden tall dirt bikes my whole life. While I love my Scrambler for being so little and easy to maneuver, I don't mind a tall bike like the Hyper SE if I can at least tip toe comfortably with gear on. My F800GS has a Touratech comfort seat which is taller than stock and this is no small bike, especially when loaded up with 100 pounds of panniers and gear. I hope the seat on the SP is no higher from the ground than my GS. On the plus side, the 921SE will never see gravel so I don't have the issue of putting my foot down on a loose surface and dropping the bike.

I really liked my 796 but hope a 921 will be more polished. I added the Termi mufflers to that bike and with the new ECU it seemed to fuel okay. That bike was my first Ducati and I was surprised, if not disappointed at how the engine bucked like a wild horse below 2,500 rpm, ran okay above 3,000, but really wanted to be 3,500 rpm or higher. The BMW inline twin is much more flexible but I loved that 796 with all it faults because it had them. Being air-cooled and long stroke it represented everything about Ducati that drew me to the brand over the years. Now with one Scrambler in the garage, adding a second doesn't make much sense, even if I build it up.

I am really leaning to the Hyper 921 but if that bike has more than 1 mile on it for PDI that will kill the deal. I WON'T buy a bike that all the guys have ridden to see what she is like. I'll buy the next one or wait for a year. Not interested in dating a supermodel once she's dated every other guy on the block if you know what I mean.

To the OP, did you ever ride the air cooled bike in addition to the 821? I heard the 796 produced more torque at lower revs than the 821 and 796 riders weren't thrilled with the move. I assume the 921 will not disappoint and willing to take that chance. I will probably test ride the bike but I am one of those people who knows what he likes. I like everything about the new bike with the unknown exception of the seat height. I remember the bike on the floor at like a 450 mx bike so I'll have to give that some serious thought. I'll know Tuesday when I go to pick one of them up.

There are almost zero ride reports on the net and most of them are the same press introduction spiel that Ducati provides. Thanks for your real world thoughts.

NC

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Interesting that Ducati still misses things like a seat on a 16k bike.

I just sold my 796 Hypermoto to a neighbor and now only have a Scrambler in the garage (not counting a BMWF800GS). I lover that little bike and it gets ridden several times a week now that summer is here. I do miss having a more dedicated sport bike and while perusing a second scrambler to "build up" while at the dealer, they had a brand new Hypermotard SP which really caught my eye.

I am only 5'9" tall but have ridden tall dirt bikes my whole life. While I love my Scrambler for being so little and easy to maneuver, I don't mind a tall bike like the Hyper SE if I can at least tip toe comfortably with gear on. My F800GS has a Touratech comfort seat which is taller than stock and this is no small bike, especially when loaded up with 100 pounds of panniers and gear. I hope the seat on the SP is no higher from the ground than my GS. On the plus side, the 921SE will never see gravel so I don't have the issue of putting my foot down on a loose surface and dropping the bike.

I really liked my 796 but hope a 921 will be more polished. I added the Termi mufflers to that bike and with the new ECU it seemed to fuel okay. That bike was my first Ducati and I was surprised, if not disappointed at how the engine bucked like a wild horse below 2,500 rpm, ran okay above 3,000, but really wanted to be 3,500 rpm or higher. The BMW inline twin is much more flexible but I loved that 796 with all it faults because it had them. Being air-cooled and long stroke it represented everything about Ducati that drew me to the brand over the years. Now with one Scrambler in the garage, adding a second doesn't make much sense, even if I build it up.

I am really leaning to the Hyper 921 but if that bike has more than 1 mile on it for PDI that will kill the deal. I WON'T buy a bike that all the guys have ridden to see what she is like. I'll buy the next one or wait for a year. Not interested in dating a supermodel once she's dated every other guy on the block if you know what I mean.

To the OP, did you ever ride the air cooled bike in addition to the 821? I heard the 796 produced more torque at lower revs than the 821 and 796 riders weren't thrilled with the move. I assume the 921 will not disappoint and willing to take that chance. I will probably test ride the bike but I am one of those people who knows what he likes. I like everything about the new bike with the unknown exception of the seat height. I remember the bike on the floor at like a 450 mx bike so I'll have to give that some serious thought. I'll know Tuesday when I go to pick one of them up.

There are almost zero ride reports on the net and most of them are the same press introduction spiel that Ducati provides. Thanks for your real world thoughts.

NC
Hey NC. I can appreciate your debate here. I've ridden most of the late air cooled Ducati motors (wife has a Monster 696, friend has a Monster 796 and Hyper 796 and I owned a Scrambler Full Throttle for a year).

The torque difference (off the bottom) between the old air cooled motors and the 821 was slight, but noticeable. On the 939, it's a whole different ballgame and you're much more in line with the figures from the 1100 air cooled motor, albeit with better mid and top end IMO. The electronics on the SP give you the added "Track" mode which to me, is really what this bike needs. Instant response that unleashes the motor and lets you do...well...immature things.

I've also owned an F800 GS and agree it was a real smooth motor...but as many things German, it's all business and to me, lacked character. Can't fault it at all though. Bulletproof bike.

Anyway...the 939 definitely isn't for everyone but if you've gotten this far, you probably understand what it's meant to do. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not counting track days, some have described the Hyper as a one trick pony. Not great for long distances but a nice bike for just a day trip. I get that but also have the Scrambler and F800GS. I know I'll never own a super exotic high end Lamborghini or Ferrari so a bike like this also satisfies that desire.

I'll get to the dealer tomorrow give the bike a thorough evaluation.

NC

Hey NC. I can appreciate your debate here. I've ridden most of the late air cooled Ducati motors (wife has a Monster 696, friend has a Monster 796 and Hyper 796 and I owned a Scrambler Full Throttle for a year).

The torque difference (off the bottom) between the old air cooled motors and the 821 was slight, but noticeable. On the 939, it's a whole different ballgame and you're much more in line with the figures from the 1100 air cooled motor, albeit with better mid and top end IMO. The electronics on the SP give you the added "Track" mode which to me, is really what this bike needs. Instant response that unleashes the motor and lets you do...well...immature things.

I've also owned an F800 GS and agree it was a real smooth motor...but as many things German, it's all business and to me, lacked character. Can't fault it at all though. Bulletproof bike.

Anyway...the 939 definitely isn't for everyone but if you've gotten this far, you probably understand what it's meant to do. Good luck on your search.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts