Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow Ducatisti..as I wait for some decent weather, and try to get the break-in miles on my new P/P ,
am wondering a few things related to a previous thread I started last month concerning my surging/chugging/snatchy throttle at low rpm

As mine feels like I'm flipping a kill switch off and on , while trying to hold a steady rpm, or light smooth acceleration, I wonder ,
how in the hell I would ride this bike in an off-road/dirt environment ...would be scary and spooky
does anyone know if the 1200S Enduro has the same ECU /fuel map as a normal S or P/P ?

Also has anyone with a problem like mine, noticed any improvement at first service and after the dealer does a supposed check for "ECU-updates "
I say "supposed" because I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling from my dealer saying they did this last month ,( before delivery)...as I got home and see the tires were set at 28 and 29 psi
Hey maybe it's just me , but I usually check tire pressure as a "pre-flight" item ...and that sends up a red flag to me on a new bike when they say "it's all ready to go"

Was also getting a lot of mixed reviews/reports/answers on doing a partial or full fuel map/flash ...was told ( my dealer) the multi has same ECU as the Panigale and a local tuner/dyno has that program..
Well a person at that shop says they haven't been able to "crack" the new DVT Multis ECU , then another source , (a different dealer) says the bikes don't have same ECU as Panigale
Then different Rexxer people tell me they do, or don't , have a good/full flash or the DVT motors ...some say a dyno is needed , others say it's just "plug and play" like older Multis

And finally , opinions are all over the place for the cheaper/quicker "some people call "band-aid" fixes like the Booster-plug , Fat-Duc, and Shifttech 02 manipulator ...
anyone got a good or bad experience with any of those.?..they seem to be reportedly really popular / effective with lots of different bikes....for the problem/symptoms like I'm having
to richen up a bit / turn the low rpm from closed loop to open loop

appreciate any thoughts, this is new stuff to me..as all of my bikes, but one ,have been "analog"
thanks in advance

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have you tried a different ride mode, like Touring? I know Sport Mode has a sensitive throttle, even though thats where I leave it.

·
Registered
Streetfighter V4 -2021
87 Posts
There must be something wrong in your bike as I don't have any similar problems with my -2015 1200 (non S). Try keeping revs above 3000 and putting higher octane gasoline. I use sport mode as I find touring mode too sluggish. Also there must be something happening in ECU after the first 1000 km as at least I got better gasoline consumption after that. So I would wait a while if you have a brand new bike.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I'd need to see video... there have been throttle issues (not that common but they have happened) so it could be a sensor problem... or it could just be the nature of the bikes.

Personally... I have no issues on dirt roads/fire trails, but these bikes are not really cut out for single track. I can ride along offroad without chugging - generally speeds between 12 and 25mph for rougher roads - no problem.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
@Quaaack
According to the following, your ECU is the same those used on the Panigale.
http://www.rexxer.eu/downloads/rexxer_compatibility.pdf

As far as research information on ECU flashes, tunes and piggyback units, your best bet is to search relative info on all Panigale forums specifically as those are the bikes most often modified in that context.

Spoiler:
Your future research will most likely show that Panigale owners predominantly use either:
Tuneboy: for flashes
Rapidbike: for piggyback units

There's mixed reviews about some of the cheaper dongles you mentioned:
Those work by cheating the ambient air temperature sensor to make it look like it's colder than it is to make the ECU run richer. Some say it works and others say it works but only for awhile as the lamda sensor re-corrects. A few things are consistent however namely, the air temperature reading on your display will no longer be accurate and you will also see an ice warning display in warmer temperatures than you would otherwise.

·
Registered
468 Posts
There must be something wrong in your bike as I don't have any similar problems with my -2015 1200 (non S). Try keeping revs above 3000 and putting higher octane gasoline. I use sport mode as I find touring mode too sluggish. Also there must be something happening in ECU after the first 1000 km as at least I got better gasoline consumption after that. So I would wait a while if you have a brand new bike.
Same here with my 2016 S. And I’ve geared down a tooth in the front which should in theory exaggerate any snatchiness. I ride in sport mode most of the time (I dip down to touring for some of the bumpy, technical canyon roads around here as well as the sections of freeway with harsh expansion joints) and have no problems.

As others have mentioned here, I’d be wondering about the throttle tube mechanism. It could no longer be properly calibrated or it could just be bad. My Hyperstrada had a throttle mechanism go bad (same ride by wire setup) and it got super non linear toward the end.

And for laughs, check your chain tightness. If it was way loose, I could imagine that the delayed snatch there could lead to some PIO type weirdness.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Definitely touring or enduro mode for dirt.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, good tips /suggestions all, keep the cards and letters coming <smile>, it will give me more "ammo" when I do "battle " with the dealer after break-in
Something is definite wrong .... I'm not a happy camper,... can't enjoy riding it ...and can't / won't keep the bike as is .

I tried all the modes different speeds/rpms, up/down constant easy 2,3,4,5 k rpm yesterday as the streets were pretty much dry ...it really pissed me off, and scared me ,
as I rolled smoothly in a nice S turn (I'm used to) about 3k in 2nd gear ...it lurched /jumped big time right as I was leaned over ...just like the engine kill switch went off, then on
totally threw me off line ( no I didn't hit the switch ) this chugging and surging crap has got to be fixed.

Touring and Urban seems worst, enduro was better at slow speeds , still wouldn't go in the dirt (on purpose) but all were unacceptable I will be changing sprocket etc
and do more research on rexxer and other full mapping , but want Ducati to fix this shit first, balls in their court...

just a quick reply here as I have to go out of town for a week or more may not reply back for a while
thanks again

·
Registered
468 Posts
...as I rolled smoothly in a nice S turn (I'm used to) about 3k in 2nd gear ...it lurched /jumped big time right as I was leaned over ...just like the engine kill switch went off, then on totally threw me off line ...
Jesus!

Touring and Urban seems worst, enduro was better at slow speeds , still wouldn't go in the dirt (on purpose) but all were unacceptable I will be changing sprocket etc and do more research on rexxer and other full mapping , but want Ducati to fix this shit first, balls in their court...
I wouldn't change a thing until you've dumped this back on Ducati. There's something fundamentally wrong here, and making any changes on your own at this point just muddies the waters and gives the shop a chance to point fingers.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Yes that's something that shouldn't be happening.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hmmm. What were you riding before the PP? I think BMW riders usually find the Duc snatchy, etc. It shouldn't be snatchy/twitchy on a smooth roll-on above 3K, but if you try to modulate (close a little then open, for instance) in Sport it's going to be twitchier than some other bikes.

Edit: I've also noticed a somewhat exaggerated response in Touring as well. I don't think I've had it in Urban (I prefer not to ride in town if I can help it.... maybe I should have used it on the few occasions I was fuming in traffic).

·
Registered
665 Posts
as I rolled smoothly in a nice S turn (I'm used to) about 3k in 2nd gear ...it lurched /jumped big time right as I was leaned over ...just like the engine kill switch went off, then on
totally threw me off line ( no I didn't hit the switch ) this chugging and surging crap has got to be fixed.
Wow the DVT is the smoothest of all so this shouldn't be happening. That said, 3k 2nd gear is way low to go in S-turns. The big dip is there between 4-6K so when you want to accelrate, nothing is happening. Go down to 1 and 6K, now you can accelerate out of a corner...:grin2: be sure to have wheelie control enabled at least at 1

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
btw i never go into corners @3k, are you kidding this is a Ducati not a Beamer....
Damn superbike crowd... always at redline. :)

I go into corners at 3k all the time... when I'm loafing along (probably 90% of my seat time). What I don't do is go into corners at 3k when I'm in shenanigans mode (I've petitioned Ducati to rename sport mode in the ECU to more accurately reflect its use - thought about calling it Squid mode but I'm too old for that shit).

·
Registered
Streetfighter V4 -2021
87 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems if the revs don't go below 3000 (Ducs are not built for that). Also you shouldn't notice any "big dip between 4-6K" unless you are running 2up with luggage plus hard acceleration (at least I haven't).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts