Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts

The Ducati 899 Panigale is on its way out, to be replaced for 2016 by a new 959 Panigale. The new sportbike was revealed in an executive order released by the California Air Resources Board, certifying it for sale in the state. The new 959 Panigale will assuredly be one of the nine new models Ducati has promised will debut at EICMA in November.

According to the CARB document, the 959 Panigale will be powered by a 955cc engine, a 57cc boost from the 899. The certification document does not reveal any further details, though we can safely assume the engine is a 90-degree V-Twin like other Ducati sportbikes. It’ll be curious to learn how the bore and stroke differ from the outgoing model’s 100 mm x 57.2 mm.

Despite the larger engine, the 959 Panigale has lower hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emission levels than the 899, an attempt to meet new Euro 4 emission standards which come into effect in Europe on Jan. 1, 2016.

As for any other details, we’ll have to wait until the lead up to EICMA where the 959 Panigale will make its debut.

Read more about 2016 Ducati 959 Panigale Outed By CARB at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
987 Posts
curiuos on this one. 140-145 at rear wheel with more mid-range and some electronic upgrades. Should be amazing. Curious if it'll stay DSSA?

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
More power than my modded 03 999R, which has 133-134rwhp with presumably the added advantage of less weight. Funny how they came up with the 955cc figure, the same size as the earlier era desmoquattro race machines.

I've been out of the loop for a while in regards to info about the 1199 and anything new from Ducati, but on just looking around there seems to be a lot of 1199 bashing due to mechanical issues, does the 899 share this reputation? I know what I said is a broad stroke and it may be I hit the wrong threads and I'm sure there are many happy 1199 customers out there.

Like Darenb68 commented, the litre bike was top dog for so many years, it is strange that a "smaller" powered bike is practically a litre bike and now what do they call the previous litre bikes, like the 1299? Of course this only applies to Ducati while the 4 cylinder machines get power in other ways without having to increase displacement. I wonder when the're going to hit the wall in the same way Ducati had to increase motor size to be competitive? I guess if they are allowed to do so then Ducati could introduce the 1299 to racing, but I doubt that would change anything. I believe the only viable option for Ducati is to introduce the V4, no way around it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cali

I wonder if this bike "contains chemicals known to cause cancer in the state of California"??? :frown2: There goes one less surprise on the Ducati list...

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
Bigger motor with lower carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions, that in itself is a technology step forward and a good thing in my opinion.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd be ok with a new V4. Seems kind of ridiculous that the SuperSport class bike now displaces more than the Superbike Foggy was winning on. The power of the new Ducs is amazing but they just dont feel like the Ducatis I fell in love with. Anyone else have these thoughts?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The power of the new Ducs is amazing but they just dont feel like the Ducatis I fell in love with.
i greatly appreciate and agree with this statement
and i guess that statement (or trend) can be applied to other brands, not only Ducati; where the seek of more top-end power (higher dyno figures on paper) while satisfying an increasing emission and noise laws is resulting on bikes far less street useable with less useable power range

while a V4 configuration would grant Ducati to keep up the game with 4-cylinder machines without continuously increasing displacement (not sure how far beyond 1299cc they're heading), this would be a HUGE diversion for Ducati from their widely beloved L-Twin tradition.
in addition, V4's would provide a far smoother engine,wider useable power range and a good mid point between V-twin grunt and torque and inline-4 smoothness and top end power
if Ducati has eventually gave up their tradition for Dry clutch, belt-driven cams and steel trellis frames in the recent superbikes, i wouldn't be shocked if they switched to V4 for their superbikes while probably maintaining V-twin engines for Monster, Multistrada, Diavel, ....etc.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Is that even possible with desmodronic valve actuation?
It doesn't effect the desmo end, think of setting your cam timing at the cam sprocket, or degreeing your cams, this adds a phaser that continuously advances and retards the cam timing, based on load and I'm guessing pre-mapped.

In theory you should have a perfectly flat powerband, in theory anyway:wink2:

·
Registered
387 Posts
I wonder if this bike "contains chemicals known to cause cancer in the state of California"??? :frown2: There goes one less surprise on the Ducati list...
Sadly ALL ducatis were made to CA's smog regulations..hence why they have the giant cannons from the SBK 848/1x98 series. And if you haven't seen the Pani in Japan lol..

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
I'd be ok with a new V4. Seems kind of ridiculous that the SuperSport class bike now displaces more than the Superbike Foggy was winning on. The power of the new Ducs is amazing but they just dont feel like the Ducatis I fell in love with. Anyone else have these thoughts?
You wouldn't be a real Ducatista if you didn't agree with this statement. Yes, my 95 916 was a special bike, my second Ducati I threw a lot of money at to make it my own. Labor of love and money, but it started to let me down and on impulse I sold or traded it for the older style MTS. One of those I wish I can take it back scenarios, but thats life. Fortunately after I sold the MTS I settled on an 03 999R and it's been happy trails since. What balanced out my riding needs was buying a Harley Road King, this enabled me to make longer road trips while the Ducati served my wild hair hill country riding.

I like technology that improves dependability and ease of service, the 999R was a revolutionary step above the 916, PT did a great job making the Testastretta easier to access. To be honest, after getting the 999R the 916 era bikes (depending on viewing angle) started to look dated to me, but thats just me. Any cosmetic changes to the brand will stir controversy. But, I still get a thrill twisting the throttle on the 999R, especially with the full Leo Vince exhaust, but there is a difference and you are just being human if you share Wildfire's thoughts on this matter. Of course, nothing like an old girlfriend to bring back some good memories, the negative stuff always seems to get buried in time, otherwise you would be still with her.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts