Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a leftover red 2016 1200 R I am really enjoying the bike. I first rode a black 1200 R last spring when I was having my Pikes Peak 600 mile service performed. The dealer let me demo the 1200 R while I waited. There just happens to be a great canyon to a ski resort close by the dealer and so I figured why not! I was smitten with how much fun the bike was to ride. So this year the dealer had a left over red one and I purchased it. I like red but cannot get out of my mind the black one. Someone in the forum is selling a black with red frame ST3 and it got me thinking how sharp it looks that I would maybe swap out my tank, tail piece, front fender, and fairing for a black setup.

I am sure buying new components would be cost prohibitive so then I thought maybe someone would be interested in a trade. I only have 400 miles on the bike and the components are in perfect shape.

Any takers for a red to black trade?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have you considered wrapping it in black? It would require less hunting around for people to trade with and would keep your bike in original condition if you ever wanted/needed to sell it (even if you never plan on doing so, life likes to change our plans sometimes). Swapped out parts can make it look like the bike went down and you replaced the damaged parts with used parts (unless you keep all of the red parts in storage to be sold with the bike at a later date). At least with a wrap you can revert to original and your paint will be protected too!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had not thought about wrapping or what mixing up would do for resale. Now that you mention the resale question I may look into the cost of the components. no hurry; Fall is in full swing and where I live has already had up to six inches of snow. Will make a great winter project.

·
Registered
303 Posts
How much could it cost to just have it painted? The black paint with red frame is stylish.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just searching around out of curiosity a black tank on AMS Ducati was $2800 :frown2: Might have to consider looking into paint or wrap more seriously! I agree the black tank red frame is very sharp looking.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I got my clear wrap done and it looks great. It really protects the paint too. I would have no hesitation getting it wrapped another color if I was into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
696DCRider,

Could you post a picture of your wrap when you get a chance?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I just purchased a leftover red 2016 1200 R I am really enjoying the bike. I first rode a black 1200 R last spring when I was having my Pikes Peak 600 mile service performed. The dealer let me demo the 1200 R while I waited. There just happens to be a great canyon to a ski resort close by the dealer and so I figured why not! I was smitten with how much fun the bike was to ride. So this year the dealer had a left over red one and I purchased it. I like red but cannot get out of my mind the black one. Someone in the forum is selling a black with red frame ST3 and it got me thinking how sharp it looks that I would maybe swap out my tank, tail piece, front fender, and fairing for a black setup.

I am sure buying new components would be cost prohibitive so then I thought maybe someone would be interested in a trade. I only have 400 miles on the bike and the components are in perfect shape.

Any takers for a red to black trade?
Here's a Black M1200R replica decal kit that may solve your quest for black once you have it painted.
https://www.vulturbike.com/index.ph...onster-1200r-2017-828-829-830-detail?Itemid=0

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
696DCRider,

Thank you for posting a picture of your wrap, would you know if a black wrap is available? If a black wrap is available I possible could use the decal kit that DarR referenced a link to.

·
Registered
85 Posts
696DCRider,

Thank you for posting a picture of your wrap, would you know if a black wrap is available? If a black wrap is available I possible could use the decal kit that DarR referenced a link to.

Wrap comes in all variants of colors. That decal kit is neat. However, for decal on wrap, you should consider that the decals on our stock tanks have clear coat over them. So that would be one difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts