Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

2015 Mutistrada 1200S needs a new chain

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  batman137 
#1 ·
Bike is new to me.

So I have a few links in the chain that are kind of tight and wont relax. I've cleaned with WD40 and lubed with motor oil, but it doesn't seem to help. Time to replace it.

I would like to just replace the chain and not the sprockets. I'm no sprocket doctor, but they llok fine to me. I am away from home and do not have my tourque wrench or my 50mm socket, and don't feel like buying another one.

Will I be ok to just replace the chain?

What chain should I get, and what tools will I need?

I've never replaced a chain before.

#2 ·
*Disclaimer: I don’t own a Ducati yet. This bit of info will be from experience of other makes/models of motorcycles i’ve owned.*

If it were me, i’d replace the sprockets at the same time as the chain. I don’t know what material the OEM sprockets are made of, but I would get ones made of steel; they tend to last longer than aluminum.

If you’re not at home and on the road, it may be worth having a shop do this for you. You will need something to grind off/pop off the rivets and to adjust the tension after replacing the chain.

As for your original question, the OEM drive chain is made by Regina; according to them the part number is 530/136ZRP2. I don’t know if you can get them anywhere other than a Ducati dealer, but i’d be hard pressed to think that they are any different than a DID or a RK.

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
OOF!

I have a battery powered grinder, but really don't want to spend $100 on a tool that I will use extremely rarely.

Any idea wxactly what chain and sprockets I should get?
Will I have to cut the chain, or is it the perfect length already?

I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere and there are few motorcycle repair shops around (no ducati dealers). If it come to spending $200 in tools vs. $200 on shop labor, I would probably be inclined to buy the tools and do it myself to make sure it's done right (provided I can find a decent video showing me how it's done).

#8 · (Edited)
Chain and sprocket wear in together... you can just buy the chain but it will shorten the life of the new chain (and chains are more expensive than sprockets).

I always buy chain/sprockets together, but I did once buy a cheap chain when I had one fail while I was on the road in Oregon (but the sprockets were still good)... it lasted the 4000 or so miles home and another 4 or 5 months (another 6000 miles or so)... so 10,000'ish miles - which IS shorter than normal but not by enough to offset the cost savings of using the sprockets for two chains. Totally anecdotal so YMMV.

#9 ·
@batman137
I have a near new chain for you if you want to buy it.
It's an OEM 530 114 links that I just puled from my Multistrada 1260 at the first 600 miles service.
Is $40 plus shipping reasonable?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.