Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding my bike in the dark has seemed sketchy since I bought it. The headlights just seemed weak to me. I read a couple threads on this forum and decided to purchase a couple LED bulbs for my low light from Cyclops Adventure sports.

Opening the box they look like quality.

The install could not be easier. I didn't even have to remove any fairings. Put the bike on the center stand and turned the handle bars to access the bulbs. They fit directly in the stock socket and plug into the harness with no modifications needed. The fan on the back of the bulb has plenty of clearance. I attached the igniter box to the side of the fairing with some sticky Velcro. The rest of the wires were tie wrapped out of the way. The only thing I'm not happy with is that the connector is now located in an area that may be open to the elements thru a gap in the fairings. When ever I have a legit reason to remove them I will look for a better place to route everything.

The pic doesn't really do it justice. The new LED is on the right and the standard halogen is on the left. The light is bright and crisp white. Each bulb puts out 4000 lumens. I'm not sure what stock is but seat of the pants is a HUGE difference.

Total was about $130 for both. Install takes about 30 minutes. I highly recommend this mod to anyone rocking the Non-S version DVT.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had great experience with Cyclops LEDs as well, but i put them in my KTM 1290SA. The lights are high quality and easy to install...

·
Registered
334 Posts
How's the cutoff on the beam? I know there's issues with retrofitting HID bulbs to lenses designed for QH bulbs, but with LEDs they seem to be able to get the light output source in a much closer location/shape to the QH filament.

·
Super Moderator
5,376 Posts
I put the same bulbs in my ST a couple weeks ago. Seems to be a well built product. The low beam cutoff is nearly the same as a "regular" bulb. Nobody has flashed me yet...so oncoming traffic is not getting glare from the bulb. The high beam pattern is a little more globular in my reflector. It seems to provide good coverage. Overall, I think it was a worthwhile mod. The whiteness of the light really stands out during the day which helps keep the cagers attention.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may need to adjust them down. I haven't been flashed yet but cars in front of me are making a real effort to get out of my way. The light out put is a startling difference. When I hit the high beams it almost seems like I turned my lights off. Can't believe I waited so long to do this.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had to adjust my lights up when I first got the multi. They were pretty low.
I may get a set of these though... lighting isn't the greatest on really dark roads.

Thanks for the pics and the write-up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
From having helped a few do LED installs on different bikes as well as having done HID in the past, the LED retrofits tend to near perfectly replicate the cutoff pattern of the original bulbs with a more intense light in the lit up sections.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did a few LED conversions on cars and they've been really reliable. I've been using a 30$ H4 set in my own car and has been flawless for over a year (lights always on when engine is running). Not that the price of the better sets is prohibitive but i just wanted to try something before spending more. This set has the aluminum heatsink without fan.
At the annual checkup they didn't have any remarks about the lights (beam pattern, glare).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts