Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got new pannier liners? Can you post photos and also how they fit the odd shape of the right side case? Also anyone have good photos of bike all round with both top and side cases on?

from the looks of some aftermarket exhausts it looks like Ducati could have easily made the right side pannier full size without the exhaust cutout

·
Registered
448 Posts
Anyone got new pannier liners? Can you post photos and also how they fit the odd shape of the right side case? Also anyone have good photos of bike all round with both top and side cases on?

from the looks of some aftermarket exhausts it looks like Ducati could have easily made the right side pannier full size without the exhaust cutout

I thought the 2015 panniers were specifically designed over the exhaust so that the right side pannier is the same size as the left, and does not need a cutout? What am I missing?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have you seen any of the photos.. clearly shows right side has a cut out may less than past but still there.. here is another photo showing heat shielding on curved scoop of right side pannier

http://photos.imageevent.com/motorbiker/reviews/Review-2015-Ducati-Multistrada-1200-DVT-03.jpg

I thought the 2015 panniers were specifically designed over the exhaust so that the right side pannier is the same size as the left, and does not need a cutout? What am I missing?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I don't know whether the right box was designed with the aftermarket full Termi exhaust in mind, the silencer part of the Termi sits almost completely hidden by the side case.

The ride side case is definitely smaller, due to the recess, on the right side.

You can see from the three mount points where the case would fit.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so no one has got pannier liners for the touring bikes? how are you packing?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have a set of Goldwing case liners. The side cases on the Goldwing are a pretty good fit for the Ducati cases.

http://wingstuff.com/products/33514-saddlebag-packing-cube-liner-set?context=luggage_liners

I pack the case, usually in my bedroom, then carry it in to my motel room. If I'm staying multiple days, I often leave the cases in the room.

An alternate source, check out REI or similar camping store, they sell a lot of different size stuff sacks and bags.

·
Registered
237 Posts
A tank bag and a top case handle daily duties and on longer trips the top case deals with the loose stuff and anything to use during the day. The side cases I use for evening use stuff, clothes, camp gear; take them off to repackage, use trash bags for organizer.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
An alternate source, check out REI or similar camping store, they sell a lot of different size stuff sacks and bags.
I've found that skiing/climbing/hiking gear to be of better quality at a much lower cost than motorcycle specific stuff.

As Chris mentioned, REI or any other outdoor type store have compression sacks that will do the job and allow you to both fit a lot more stuff in the panniers and keep items separated. I have had custom pannier liners for prior BMW's but stopped using them in favor of compression sacks.

For instance, why bother taking dirty laundry in and out of the room? So one compression sack is for that use. I put Red duct tape on the side of the bag or you can just write on them with a Sharpie pen to label what each bag is for.

Clothes in one, toiletries in another, electronic bits (chargers, etc)... you get the point. Another thing I did was to take a roll of velcro and run two rings of the soft fuzzy half of the velcro combination around the perimeter of the inside of the pannier, one on the inner half of pannier and the other on the outer clamshell. Now if I put circles of velcro on bags and stuff, they stick to where I put them, so stuff doesn't shift or fall out when I open the pannier. Has worked very well for me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the Ducati liners. There's no allowance for the shape of the exhaust cutout on the right liner (the two liners the same shape, except reversed for opposite sides of the bike). However, what I did find surprising is that even with the right side liner fully packed, it fits inside the case very easily. With the left one fully packed there's some space to spare inside the case.

The liners appear to be reasonably good quality, and I think they look very nice. When you open the liner there is a zippered mesh cover on each side with a zipper to close it. This is very helpful for packing, but my only complaint is that the quality of the zippers for the mesh covers doesn't seem to be very high. The zippers to open/close the liners themselves seems good.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Which size bags fit the side cases to maximize the space? Also, what do you do for the top case?

I've found that skiing/climbing/hiking gear to be of better quality at a much lower cost than motorcycle specific stuff.

As Chris mentioned, REI or any other outdoor type store have compression sacks that will do the job and allow you to both fit a lot more stuff in the panniers and keep items separated. I have had custom pannier liners for prior BMW's but stopped using them in favor of compression sacks.

For instance, why bother taking dirty laundry in and out of the room? So one compression sack is for that use. I put Red duct tape on the side of the bag or you can just write on them with a Sharpie pen to label what each bag is for.

Clothes in one, toiletries in another, electronic bits (chargers, etc)... you get the point. Another thing I did was to take a roll of velcro and run two rings of the soft fuzzy half of the velcro combination around the perimeter of the inside of the pannier, one on the inner half of pannier and the other on the outer clamshell. Now if I put circles of velcro on bags and stuff, they stick to where I put them, so stuff doesn't shift or fall out when I open the pannier. Has worked very well for me.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for lots of ideas on liners - wasnt looking for that - i just want to see what factory liners for 2015 look like.. any photos LA_Stu?

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
so no one has got pannier liners for the touring bikes? how are you packing?
I was responding directly to this question, to which ChrisE had already responded.

Jewcati, they go from 1L to 20L sizes. I've just kept an eye out and buy them on sale. Now I use them in my office backpack, in the car, on trips by air, etc.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Be careful! These are 2010-2014 ones...
the ones pictured on the Ducati website are labeled as a FIT for the 2015 bikes. regardless, let's say that the ones pictured are those from a previous model......how different do you or others think they would be?

to the OP...curious, are you getting close to pulling the trigger on a new MTS DTV? if so, maybe give your dealer a call and verify with them what the bags may/may not look like. just a thought. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I have the top case liner. It's well made and looks great. Has a zippered document section on the outside, the inside can expand to fill the entire case, has a handle and shoulder strap, has a hard flat piece on the inside to give it shape, and has plastic feet for setting down on a hard surface. Perfect fit and makes it real easy to carry all your stuff on and off the bike.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
can you share photo with it in the case?

I am surprised no one has 2015 side cases with factory liners yet - i am chuckling at all the "ideas" for packaging - my FJR 1300 came with liners that are very simple, fit great and performed admirably over last 12 years and still look good.

I have the top case liner. It's well made and looks great. Has a zippered document section on the outside, the inside can expand to fill the entire case, has a handle and shoulder strap, has a hard flat piece on the inside to give it shape, and has plastic feet for setting down on a hard surface. Perfect fit and makes it real easy to carry all your stuff on and off the bike.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pictures please LA_Stu

I have the Ducati liners. There's no allowance for the shape of the exhaust cutout on the right liner (the two liners the same shape, except reversed for opposite sides of the bike). However, what I did find surprising is that even with the right side liner fully packed, it fits inside the case very easily. With the left one fully packed there's some space to spare inside the case.

The liners appear to be reasonably good quality, and I think they look very nice. When you open the liner there is a zippered mesh cover on each side with a zipper to close it. This is very helpful for packing, but my only complaint is that the quality of the zippers for the mesh covers doesn't seem to be very high. The zippers to open/close the liners themselves seems good.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a set and used them on a recent 4000km trip. They are well made and worked very well for me and I thought the price was reasonable for what they are. I think the ones in the following link are for the previous model but the ones I have look just like these and one is a bit bigger than the other as the exhaust side bag has a cut out.

Ducati Performance Saddlebag Liners - Ducati Multistrada 1200 - Ducati Motorcycle Parts, Ducati Motorcycle Accessories, and Ducati Apparel & Fashion from A&S Ducati

Very handy to have as it is much, much easier to take out the bag liners than try and haul the panniers in and out of hotel rooms.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts