Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's can anyone confirm the temp that the grip heaters are supposed to be on "High"? Mine don't seem to be getting as hot as they used to.

2015 MTS 1200ST OEM Grip heaters.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow, 100F is not nearly hot enough! Mine were getting to about 140F on high but even that wasn't hot enough. I swapped them out for the Oxford's because I wanted to be able to feel the heat through my insulated gloves.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Mine on my 2015 work fine, on high they get way too hot!

Sent from my SM-T705W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mine on my 2015 work fine, on high they get way too hot!

Same here. I have to be wearing full on winter gloves to be able to use hot. Even with heavy gloves and <40 day I turn it down after about 5 min.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I talked to my dealer where I bought the bike and luckily I purchased the extended warranty and they believe it will be covered and replaced.>:)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So here is the latest from my Dealer and Ducati. There is nothing wrong with my grip heaters... They are designed to only get hot while riding (on HIGH). If I slow down or come to a stop then they automatically go to the low setting, then will heat back up as I ride 2kRPM and above. Can anyone here confirm this and report back or is this BS? My bike is a 2015 DVT 1200S Touring with OEM grip heaters. Can you guy's see if your's do this too? Put them on the High setting and let the bike idle and see if they are Hot or Warm?

Thanks.

·
Registered
259 Posts
So here is the latest from my Dealer and Ducati. There is nothing wrong with my grip heaters... They are designed to only get hot while riding (on HIGH). If I slow down or come to a stop then they automatically go to the low setting, then will heat back up as I ride 4kRPM and above. Can anyone here confirm this and report back or is this BS? My bike is a 2015 DVT 1200S Touring with OEM grip heaters. Can you guy's see if your's do this too? Put them on the High setting and let the bike idle and see if they are Hot or Warm?

Thanks.
I have at 2015 1200s, I'll try tomorrow and let you know

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found this in the owners manual... Mine are not getting hot even when riding at or above 2k RPM...

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
I found this in the owners manual... Mine are not getting hot even when riding at or above 2k RPM...
Well, there's your answer!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I can confirm this behaviour as well. When I was testing my grips and trying to figure out how to make them hotter, I was measuring the voltages put to the grips in each temperature range. At idle, the voltage for all settings dropped down to the "Low" voltage level. I also noticed that the voltage for "High" would start close to battery voltage and then drop over time. The lowest voltage I measured on "High" was lower than the highest voltage I measured on "Medium". I presume this is to prevent the heated grips from burning out, which I hear was a problem with the previous design.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
I'm pretty sure my calibrated hand has measured the high setting temp at "Hot Lava".

I've never used it other than to turn it on and think "who would ever need that setting"... and I've ridden in the 20's F... was a bit surprised when I had to switch to medium setting because Low is generally hot enough even when it's below 40.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have foam grip puppies over my grips so use the hottest setting when riding to the gym at 5.30am in subzero °C temps in the dead of winter.

It’s the quickest way to get the heat through the foam and my winter gloves and into my fingers. By the time I ride the 10km journey it’s getting pretty close to ‘hot lava’. Perfect.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Dealer called me today to tell me that my RR had failed and that was causing the issue... We shall see when they get it fixed next week. Thanks for all of the help guy's.

·
Registered
403 Posts
What is your RR?? My grips don't heat either.

·
Registered
35 Posts
cold grips

I ride with mine on high all the time. I always thought to myself that the grips definitely do not get hot enough. I just assumed thats how they were. I guess I'll look into this now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts