Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been really wanting to change out my brake and shift levers on my 2015 1200s. I've seen all of the very few options out there and not too impressed with anything. I really wish Hammerhead made bolt on levers for our bikes.... Anyways the Gilles tooling shift and brake lever kit looks to be one of the better options. Available here at shiftech carbon

ST1255 RCT-D01-SB-KIT-B BRAKE & SHIFT LEVER KIT GILLES ( NO PEGS) - Shift-Tech Carbon

I'd really like something that I could adjust the length of slightly since I have smaller feet. Also, on the shift lever on this set it appears there are four holes drilled in the middle. Can anyone confirm if these holes are tapped? Its hard to tell. If so I think these would be a simple bolt on upgrade/solution for GP shift on the DVTs.???? Correct me if Im wrong.

Anybody else recently installed these? Or have them on their bike and can share their thoughts or more pictures?? Appreciate it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have them on mine and they made shifting and rear-brake positioning 100% better, no exaggeration. I had problems with shifting because the stock arm is garbage (IMO) and the position was not good for my foot. The rear brake lever was also too low for me to comfortably press it down fairly hard without really stretching my foot somewhat awkwardly. I did not even bother setting it up in the "stock" position hole. The "short" hole makes the shifting require a very noticeably shorter "throw" to change gears and is the way it should of shifted from the factory. The only (related) thing I still want to do is put in the Factory Pro lighter shift spring, but that is a bigger job than I feel like doing right now and will probably wait until next winter.

I also included a pic of the four holes for GP Shift positioning and they are indeed threaded. These levers may be expensive, but they make everything better without question and Gilles makes fantastic stuff, but I am also a bit of a fanboy of their products so I may be biased. :wink2:

PS: Excuse the dirtiness. I stored it dirty and have not had it out yet since our winter finally just ended, but the roads are still nasty in too many places (sand piles, etc.).

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another positive from me. Fitted them over the winter and had my first proper (cold) ride at the weekend.

My lever is set to the fast position and I can confirm that the shift is both quicker and more positive. The sometime false neutral between 5th & 6th seems to have dissapeared.

You also get a level of adjustability that is completely lacking with the original.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have them on mine and they made shifting and rear-brake positioning 100% better, no exaggeration. I had problems with shifting because the stock arm is garbage (IMO) and the position was not good for my foot. The rear brake lever was also too low for me to comfortably press it down fairly hard without really stretching my foot somewhat awkwardly. I did not even bother setting it up in the "stock" position hole. The "short" hole makes the shifting require a very noticeably shorter "throw" to change gears and is the way it should of shifted from the factory. The only (related) thing I still want to do is put in the Factory Pro lighter shift spring, but that is a bigger job than I feel like doing right now and will probably wait until next winter.

I also included a pic of the four holes for GP Shift positioning and they are indeed threaded. These levers may be expensive, but they make everything better without question and Gilles makes fantastic stuff, but I am also a bit of a fanboy of their products so I may be biased. :wink2:

PS: Excuse the dirtiness. I stored it dirty and have not had it out yet since our winter finally just ended, but the roads are still nasty in too many places (sand piles, etc.).
Awesome!!! This is really great to hear. Really appreciate the info and pictures. I've searched and searched and there is very little feedback and installed pictures to be found on the web for these levers. Really surprising too because they are one of very few options for the 2015+ DVT, perhaps the only option for a set of aftermarket levers like these. Strange too they don't advertise the ability to go with reverse shift on these! I've seen other threads started with someone looking for gp shift options on a DVT and there was really no mention of these being a simple solution and upgrade. I think I could definitely benefit from a shorter throw and adjustability with my smaller feet. I seem to really have to reach for that rear brake lever, but after 25,000 miles I've just accepted it as ok for some reason.

Another positive from me. Fitted them over the winter and had my first proper (cold) ride at the weekend.

My lever is set to the fast position and I can confirm that the shift is both quicker and more positive. The sometime false neutral between 5th & 6th seems to have dissapeared.

You also get a level of adjustability that is completely lacking with the original.
Cool. Great to hear this feedback guys. Which holes on the shift lever make it shorter throw or "quicker"?? Im guessing putting the linkage on the further hole towards the tail of the bike gives more leverage/quicker movement?

I think I'll order up a set, too bad their 14-21 days out! Will report back if I go for them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Qweklain’s 2nd picture shows the shift in fast position, the rear of the lever has f or s next to each thread, so you can’t get it wrong!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cool. Great to hear this feedback guys. Which holes on the shift lever make it shorter throw or "quicker"?? Im guessing putting the linkage on the further hole towards the tail of the bike gives more leverage/quicker movement?

I think I'll order up a set, too bad their 14-21 days out! Will report back if I go for them.
Do you plan to install them as GP shift? I would love to see a picture of that (and validation that does function in reverse shift).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you plan to install them as GP shift? I would love to see a picture of that (and validation that does function in reverse shift).
See pic 3? That shift arm goes in one of the 4 holes the other side of the pivot. Instant race shift.

Another thing with these levers, they are all bearing mounted as opposed to a bush. So much smoother.

·
Registered
122 Posts
What do you think about a bearing vs. bush for dirt? The track is a very different place than dusty roads where the Multistrada would venture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Really like how these look... but I don't get the adjustability issue with the stock shifter - I hated the stock setting too but it took 10 minutes to adjust to where I wanted it (higher so I didn't need to reach down for it).

The only time I use the stock rear brake is when I'm on dirt - so while it's position is annoying (too low) it's not a huge problem - they're cheap looking parts so I was thinking I'd like to swap them out at some point... these are the best options I've seen so far.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will definitely be ordering these up eventually guys and report back with more pictures and my opinions. I was able to adjust the stock levers for proper positioning up and down, but for me the adjustability I'm really looking for is lever length mainly on the rear brake. I have small feet it feels like haha.

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
US source for the Gilles bits?
Shift tech carbon has them and is a forum sponsor. So the 10% discount is nice. I think I'm going to finally order these up as well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It has been 5 weeks since I ordered Gilles and no word to when they will even ship to Shift-tech. May see how investigate the lead time on the Ducabike option. Then sell the Gilles if they arrive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts