Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, has anyone contacted Don Guhl Guhl Motors - ECU Reflashing and More
He has done some amazing work with Honda's and Kawasaki's.

He was the only person what has broken the code and can flash a Honda ECU without cutting the box...

So I sent him an email and will report back on what he has to say...

Hey Don, this is George . I was one of the original testers that sent you the ECU from my 2010 Honda VFR1200.
I am now the proud Owner of a 2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200 and was wondering if you had done any ECU work on them?
If so, can you give me some details...
Or if you are interested in some donor ECU's to test. There is a very interested group that i'm sure will help you out...
Thanks.
George

Here was Don's reply:

Can you send me a picture of the ECU or do you know who makes the ECU?
Thanks,
Don Guhl

Does anyone have theirs handy and can take a pic or know the information that he needs?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, my question is there anyone with a 2015 DVT around 102 S. State St. Ephrata, PA 17522-2411 ? If so, i'll get you in contact with Don, so we can get an ECU tune for our bikes at a minimal cost...:nerd:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody near him??

I'm sure if someone were to take their bike in he would do all the ECU tuning for free...
That's what he did for me and one other guy that had the 2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmmm, that is tempting. Ephrata is pretty close to me. (Harrisburg)
I also recently moved from a 2010 VFR1200 DCT to a 2015 Multi. As far as I know my Honda's ECU was not tuned but I sure did read a lot of rave reviews on Don's work with the VFR.

I never really felt 2nd gear issue with the VFR that everyone talked about, and likewise, I am pretty happy with the fueling on the DVT so I may not be dialed in enough to be the best test pilot. Not to say that I've never played with tuning. My 03' Tuono was night and day for the better once I swapped the chip.

I'm also not so sure that I want to risk any warranty issues only a couple months in, but let me know what he says.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, that is tempting. Ephrata is pretty close to me. (Harrisburg)
I also recently moved from a 2010 VFR1200 DCT to a 2015 Multi. As far as I know my Honda's ECU was not tuned but I sure did read a lot of rave reviews on Don's work with the VFR.

I never really felt 2nd gear issue with the VFR that everyone talked about, and likewise, I am pretty happy with the fueling on the DVT so I may not be dialed in enough to be the best test pilot. Not to say that I've never played with tuning. My 03' Tuono was night and day for the better once I swapped the chip.

I'm also not so sure that I want to risk any warranty issues only a couple months in, but let me know what he says.
I have talked to Don and what he needs is someone to bring their bike in and he can access the ECU without any damage at all... What he does is read it throught the PORT "He does not cut into it" like Rexxer does "Which would VOID any warranty"
If you are close, could you bring your bike in to talk to him and see what he will do?
I completely trust him after the work that he did on my VFR-He can remove any of those annoying ECU codes too... Servo Motor...

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
He is going to have his hands full with it........, great minds are already struggling and these are the minds that only do Ducati's since many years and are experts in this field......, it's not as easy as some may think it is.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He is going to have his hands full with it........, great minds are already struggling and these are the minds that only do Ducati's since many years and are experts in this field......, it's not as easy as some may think it is.
There lies the problem, it's not the same ECU that Ducati has been using, it's a new Bosch ECU and Don needs a bike/ECU in his hands to try an break the code... He has alot of experience with tuning ECU's without hacking the cases (like others do).

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
The ECU may be diffrent, but that was the same when Ducati moved from Magnetti Marelli to Mitsubishi.
The basics are the same and no doubt we will se tuning becoming availble soon.

But the real problem is that Ducati seems to have mucked the DVT Engine up. A local Magazine had the Enduro WITH the upmap up against the BMWR1200 on the Dyno.
The BMW dropped 9 hp from claimed
The Ducati dropped 22 from claimed
The triumph tiger dropped 29(!) from claimed with an Electronics fault and slipping clutch.

Read it and weep. My -10 made 144 from 150 claimed on that same dyno model in similar conditions. The DVT does 138 against a claimed 160.
and just LOOK at the drop in torque!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
That is profoundly discouraging. I thought the Enduro's map had resolved the power output deficit, but it looks like the power is still not as advertised.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Stated before on multiple threads, Ducati claims 160HP at the crank, which with a 10% loss, at the rear wheel, should equate to about 144rwhp.

My '15 is one of the early DVT's, VIN 1000, and I did have the mid range torque dip and the 2nd gear hesitation. When Ducati released the new map, to fix these Oct 2015, I had my bike dyno'd before and after the map update, about 25 minutes apart.

Before was 140rwhp, after was 144rwhp, smack on Ducati's claim.

Yes the torque curve looks horrible and there still is a torque dip, but my seat of the pants dyno cannot feel it in the rear world.

To cure this dip, I don't think there is much that can be done through the ECU, this is more a valve timing/opening and overlap adjustment as opposed to richening or leaning the mixture through that range.

At 144rwhp, this bike is still stinking fast for a sports tourer and has the capability to run with dedicated sports bikes in the right hands.

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
A 10% powerdrain is huge!
Still doesn't explain that a shaftdrive bmw is at 7% and Ducati in the dyno above is at 15%.. Twice the loss.

And Ducati isn't talking. Ask the question and you get a song, a dance and a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
To cure this dip, I don't think there is much that can be done through the ECU, this is more a valve timing/opening and overlap adjustment as opposed to richening or leaning the mixture through that range.
That's exactly what DVT was supposed to do, via the ECU! My guess is that that it's an air box issue. Actually that's my hope and that the new air box (with variable geometry?) will give the nice dip-free torque curve that was advertised. KTM is going to shame Ducati into doing something at some point.

·
Registered
869 Posts
That's exactly what DVT was supposed to do, via the ECU!
My understanding, and I've been known to be wrong (according to my wife), the DVT operation is all mechanical

Edit: I am wrong, I guess the ECU is controlling the hydraulic pressure feed to the DVT system, so therefore, a mod to the ECU has to change this timing. Although Ducati state that if the DVT fails, there will be no collision between the piston and valves, how much tolerance is there for an aftermarket tune to this system? It's one thing altering how much fuel, air and the timing of a spark, these in theory cannot cause a catastrophe during a tuning phase, but doing the equivalent of experimental cam degree timing on a running engine, that could ruin the top end of an engine in micro seconds, well......

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yep, that's why I have to laugh at the thought that the DVT inherently has worse performance that the pre-DVT. Assuming the cams and valve sizes are the same (which may be totally off base) then you could always program the DVT to hold a fixed valve timing to the same value as pre-DVT and presto, the torque dip will be gone!

Also, as I reported in a separate thread, I did experience a failure of the DVT solenoid in that it was being sluggish to return when decelerating. It did not cause any damage as I'm sure it would have broken something had there been piston/valve or valve/valve contact. New solenoid and it's back to ripping around! I don't know how this fail-safe mechanism works but I'd like to learn if somebody here knows.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guy's... My ECU is on it's way back from Dave at Redline Performance with a custom tune for my 2015 DVT with the MIVV-Mid pipe and Suono exhaust (K&N air filter). I also have removed the SMOG crap and plugged it all off and disconnected it from the ECU... He said that he could disable the Error codes (same as the flapper valve) we shall see. I am going to have it dyno-ed soon and will report back on the results.:grin2:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey guy's... My ECU is on it's way back from Dave at Redline Performance with a custom tune for my 2015 DVT with the MIVV-Mid pipe and Suono exhaust (K&N air filter). I also have removed the SMOG crap and plugged it all off and disconnected it from the ECU... He said that he could disable the Error codes (same as the flapper valve) we shall see. I am going to have it dyno-ed soon and will report back on the results.:grin2:
Please do!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts