Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, my 2015 has 20,000 miles now and just out of warranty unfortunately. Its taken me all over the western states and to Alaska and a few track days with no major issues, but looks like my bike now has a pretty serious problem. Anyone else experienced this?? What are your thoughts? Solution?

Heres the story....

Came home from work, bike sits for a month while Im gone. Got her cleaned up as usual. Also installed a new shorai battery and completely cleaned and bled the brakes and new brake pads, etc. Nothing major to the engine or electrical really.

So, next day I head out for an awesome ride, week day, perfect weather, Angel Crest Highway all to myself, picture below. I filled up before though and something weird happened, after filling up my gas level went blank and red gas light flashed. I drove a few minutes down the road, pulled off and restarted the bike and it went back to normal showing full tank. Intermittently throughout the day it did this going blank and then back to normal. Im guessing fuel sending unit is going out and a separate issue???

The real issue though... After making it almost all the way through ACH highway and a few hours of riding I got a check engine light. Super bummed. Pulled off the road to check the bike over. It was still running perfectly normal. No leaks. Engine oil is at perfect level and still green and new looking. Big service and valve adjustment done not long ago.

I ended up just riding home and straight to my local ducati dealer since the bike felt fine. They are swamped right now but checked the bike out real quick and it came up with three errors. "fuel level sensor", hands free lock, and "TPS HORIZONTAL CYLINDER" Im guessing this is the big issue. Dealer didnt seem like it was a huge deal and possibly just a intermittent glitch. But the more I think about it for a long time my bike has kind of a slight surge in rpm when stopping on a hot day and in neutral.

HERES WHERE IT GETS BAD, my dealer just cleared the codes and told me to see how it does until I can bring it in next week and also get the recalls done. So I hop on the bike and start driving home. Halfway home all the sudden bam, almost no throttle! and the light is on again!! So bummed at this point. Pretty dangerous too. A full right wrist twist only resulted in maybe 20 percent throttle. I just carefully drove it home and put it away in frustration.

A quick research in my factory service manual under TPS shows nothing lol. It just says in the multistrada the TPS is integrated into the ETV? Basically the throttle body which can only be replaced as a whole unit its saying!

What do you guys think is the problem?? Am I screwed. Factory service manual pages below too.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
HERES WHERE IT GETS BAD, my dealer just cleared the codes and told me to see how it does until I can bring it in next week and also get the recalls done. So I hop on the bike and start driving home. Halfway home all the sudden bam, almost no throttle! and the light is on again!! So bummed at this point. Pretty dangerous too. A full right wrist twist only resulted in maybe 20 percent throttle. I just carefully drove it home and put it away in frustration.

A quick research in my factory service manual under TPS shows nothing lol. It just says in the multistrada the TPS is integrated into the ETV? Basically the throttle body which can only be replaced as a whole unit its saying!

What do you guys think is the problem?? Am I screwed. Factory service manual pages below too.
Had faced the exact same problem. super dangerous as this happened while doing the twisties up a hilly road.

so the TPS had to be replaced under warranty. thats the only solution perhaps.

Too bad that you are out of warranty. Did you not pick up Extended Warranty? If not, you should :) Good luck & wish your issues are resolved ASAP!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Not sure what "TPS Horizontal Cylinder" is... but the throttle position sensor is in the handgrip. I had it go on my 15 Multi and it was replaced under warranty but IIRC it was a hundred bucks to buy - no big deal just swap it out.

The power loss is most likely the bike switching to "Limp Home Mode" to keep a misbehaving throttle from making the bike run away. If you stop, power down the bike and restart it - it should clear the fault for a while but you'll need to get it fixed to eliminate it obviously.

Reactions: Shubz

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can't help but you did make me feel good about buying the extended warranty. I love the tech and what it does, just need to trade and keep the bike under some warranty. I plan on selling my 2016 later this year or next spring. I hope the extended warranty will help with resale. At 68 I hope to have 10 more good years of riding before I move to a scooter. :wink2:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Me too, same issue with my 2015 1200S when just a few months old. It went flat a few times with the whole flashing light thing then cleared upon restart then finally stayed flat. The "limp home" mode is a lot better than just plain dead but it’s super frustrating. Replaced the TPS (handgrip) under warranty and all has been well. I am glad it happened near home...

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Looks similar to the one in my 14 Monster 1200. Ducati wanted $2611 for the throttle body, which integrates the TPS. Got one on fleabay for $72 shipped and included the whole airbox unit, with fuel injectors, fuel line, wiring. Mechanic changed it out and all fine since. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well guys... I unfortunately never had the time to completely resolve this issue while I was at home, now Im back at work for another month straight. The bike sort of got fixed. Long story... it was at the dealer for two days and they were crazy busy and knew I was heading back to work for a long time again. In their trouble shooting process they looked over a bunch of the easy possible solutions without tearing in to the throttle bodies. Then they reset the code on the bike and were never able to get it to come back on and go in to limp mode again. My master tech buddy and the service manager both rode my bike multiple times. I also got in another 200 miles or so before heading back to work with no throttle issues and no lights or limp mode. Chatted it up with my master tech for about 30 minutes on the issue. It's definitely not in the throttle grip itself but due to the codes coming up, it also had an ETV code when I brought it in again. Its definitely the throttle body on the horizontal cylinder. He's saying hopefully it can be fixed or cleaned, but said if it was under warranty still he would have already just replaced it. He's never seen this happen on a 2015 multi though but believes its an issue with the mechanical and software tolerances varying in the TPS and there is little room for error after getting dirty or worn down. When I get back from work Im going to ride the crap out of the bike hoping to get it to happen again and go in to limp mode. Then we'll tear in to it completely and see what has to be done. Might have to buy a 1500 dollar throttle body or whatever the ridiculous cost of it was haha. Really want to get this resolved as I have some more long trips planned in the future and next summer probably riding coast to coast. I may still look in to possibly getting the extended warranty somehow now hahaha. :grin2: Really sucks Im just out of warranty a few months ago, wish Ducati would help out somehow on this one, but that ain't happening lol.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've had all the same symptoms you describe. I've have two fuel sender replacements. You first notice there's any issue after you refill and the level level doesn't adjust properly, so I use one of my trip mileage indicators to just monitor my fuel. This was also a problem on the first batch of DVT's as the trip meter would reset to zero miles each time you turned the bike off.

My throttle went into limp mode, about 80 miles from home in a huge rain storm. I had the throttle assembly replaced under warranty, a known problem with quite few Ducati models using the same part.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had all the same symptoms you describe. I've have two fuel sender replacements. You first notice there's any issue after you refill and the level level doesn't adjust properly, so I use one of my trip mileage indicators to just monitor my fuel. This was also a problem on the first batch of DVT's as the trip meter would reset to zero miles each time you turned the bike off.

My throttle went into limp mode, about 80 miles from home in a huge rain storm. I had the throttle assembly replaced under warranty, a known problem with quite few Ducati models using the same part.
Unfortunately Chris, my master tech already ruled this out and said my throttle assembly was fine. The codes that are coming up all point to the throttle position sensor itself on the horizontal cylinder throttle body. Everyone is saying throttle grip assembly itself though so Im tempted to just order one for the price and have it replaced as well.

Also, today I found on ebay an entire intake assembly with box and both throttle bodies for only 300 something dollars!!! Says its off a 2016 pike peak multi with less than 2,000 miles and looks in good condition. The part number for the throttle bodies seems to match so Im thinking about ordering that entire assembly for the parts. 300 something dollars for a whole assembly and both throttle bodies sounds a lot better than 1500 for just one brand new throttle body!

·
Registered
69 Posts
To the guys who had their TPS in the twist grip fail, how did the bike act when this happened?
I have been having intermittent check engine light all year, dealer is too busy for me to bring it in with CEL on. Happened again on Tuesday, and took it in and there was a code on there for TPS (although service guy was real weird about not showing me the paper)...
Anyways, I am 99% sure it is my twist grip TPS; but just wanted to know what your guys bikes did?
Mine goes into limp mode and I can still ride full speed but there is absolutely no throttle response when you twist the grip. To accelerate it is very very slow, can't blip the throttle at all for downshifting.
If I stop I can turn off the bike and restart and it drives like normal but with CEL on.
After cycling it on and off a few times I can get the CEL to turn off, but when the dealer scanned it earlier this year with CEL off there were no codes.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
To the guys who had their TPS in the twist grip fail, how did the bike act when this happened?
I have been having intermittent check engine light all year, dealer is too busy for me to bring it in with CEL on. Happened again on Tuesday, and took it in and there was a code on there for TPS (although service guy was real weird about not showing me the paper)...
Anyways, I am 99% sure it is my twist grip TPS; but just wanted to know what your guys bikes did?
Mine goes into limp mode and I can still ride full speed but there is absolutely no throttle response when you twist the grip. To accelerate it is very very slow, can't blip the throttle at all for downshifting.
If I stop I can turn off the bike and restart and it drives like normal but with CEL on.
After cycling it on and off a few times I can get the CEL to turn off, but when the dealer scanned it earlier this year with CEL off there were no codes.
Thanks
First symptom I saw was hard starting... especially when the bike was cold. Then a few months later it started throwing a CEL (and switching to limp home mode - the slow accel symptom you describe is limp-home mode). I could stop, shut down the bike and restart it and the bike would run fine, after a couple starts the CEL would clear. Then the bike would be fine for hours to days then re-occur. All that stopped happening after they swapped out the grip.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks
That sure sounds familiar to what my bike did early on, when maybe 3 months old. I had a very similar series of intermittent failures that got progressively more frequent. At first I thought it was a onetime thing because it cleared and was good for a week but after 2-3 more times it went back to the dealer and they replaced the hand grip sending unit. That resolved the issue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks guys

FYI when I had the parts guy look it up there were several change orders for the part, I think it’s on its third iteration now. So there has been a few faulty versions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts