Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am looking at a 2014 multistrada tonight and was hoping I could get some advice on what to look for.

It has 21 k miles, the only thing the owner told me was wrong is that there is a little rattle at idle but when you ride or raise the rpm it goes away.

TIA

·
Registered
258 Posts
Check the service record; there should have been a major one at 15k km/9.3k miles. Where is the rattle coming from? If it's the motor walk away; if something is rattling now, it will only get worse then expensive to fix. From the description, it may just be an accessory but try and find out. How much and how many goodies have been added? Is the bike really clean? This is a good indicator that the owner respects the machine. Regular stuff: tire condition, chain wear, scuffs, missing bolts, brake pads, oil and coolant levels, how old is the battery? If you can, take lots of pics and report back here tomorrow. Good luck!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
valve service was done at 14.5k
tires, sprocket, chain etc at 18k

the bike is not a beauty queen but it is reflected on the price, needs some fairings replaced etc which I am not so worried about

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
What's rattling... figure that out for sure. Does he have receipts for maintenance?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also have the 14'. I too found a minor rattle. Turned out to be the lower metal faring and a bushing was worn out. Put all new bushings in where ever I could and checked the fasteners against the service manual for torque spec and if loctite was needed on specific fasteners. Cured it, sounds like new, even at idle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just picked up a ‘13 GT a month or so ago.. Here is a list not so much of issues to look for but issues to be aware of that these bikes seem to be known for:
-the heated grips are known to go out (mine did the first week.. replaced it with an the Tusk Grip Heater element)
-fuel level sensor issues

If it’s an S model with the electronic suspension:
-front suspension clunk/problems.. (I think mine clunks but it seems to ride just fine)
-my rear shock started leaking soon after I purchased it—RaceTech in Corona rebuilds them for a reasonable price.

I’m sure others with more experience will chime in, but that’s been my experience so far. Took a few weeks to sort everything out, but the bike is a blast. Good luck!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I had not updated the thread, I decided to pull the trigger. I didn't realize the seller was someone I actually knew lol

the bike needs a good amount of love, no key fob, some broken fairing and I am pretty sure the sound is due to timing

here she is with all her new house mates

got right into it

decided to open up the valves too to make sure stuff is ok, hoping to have it back on the road ASAP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts