Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2014 Multi and after riding for 30-40 minutes the engine has died twice. The display says "Errors" on the top line and "Engine" on the bottom. When I shut off the power for 30 seconds, and turn back on, the bike starts and runs fine. The check engine light is not on, either. Any ideas what is wrong or how to pull the error codes? Thanks!

·
Registered
299 Posts
That's a bummer. I don't have any suggestions for you, just that type of thing sounds like it's a faulty connector of some kind? Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Steve, but if it was a connector I think it would die when hitting bumps - and it doesn't. Both times it died were on smooth pavement at medium speeds. The only thing in common was that both times it quit, were on longer rides over 30 minutes. It has yet to crap out on any short, 20 minute rides. Makes me think it may be heat related. Since there was no joy on this forum, I am bringing it in tomorrow to get scanned for codes. Will let you know what they find.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah, that makes sense. I had a similar experience with my fuel level sensor (or is it sender? I don't remember). Would only fail after I'd been riding a while. Not sure why it would behave that way given the nature of the unit?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks Steve, but if it was a connector I think it would die when hitting bumps - and it doesn't. Both times it died were on smooth pavement at medium speeds. The only thing in common was that both times it quit, were on longer rides over 30 minutes. It has yet to crap out on any short, 20 minute rides. Makes me think it may be heat related. Since there was no joy on this forum, I am bringing it in tomorrow to get scanned for codes. Will let you know what they find.
You should be able to tell if it's heat related; keep an eye on the temps. I'd check battery terminal connections just for hoo-haws, you'd be surprised how many niggles are loose battery connections or a bad ground on these bikes. If you aren't sure of the battery condition it might be worth checking that out as well...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, that makes sense. I had a similar experience with my fuel level sensor (or is it sender? I don't remember). Would only fail after I'd been riding a while. Not sure why it would behave that way given the nature of the unit?
Fuel sender on the multis sort of a running joke, not sure which rev they are on now...E? F? G? H?

·
Registered
299 Posts
My MTS GT had a rev. "D" sender, now I have a rev. "F". "F" is the currently perfect version of the fuel level sender.

I've had some issues with my F btw, good times. lol

·
Registered
503 Posts
Faulty fuel sensor will not shut my '10 down. An r/r failing could do it. Just a stab in the dark.
Sucks, 30 minutes of ownership? Did you mention it to the seller?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Check for a melted white electrical plug at the starter relay. All the bike's power goes through this plug from the battery. There is a dealer fix if the plug is melted. Search this forum for pictures and info.
Cheers
Stevo

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
These are some wild guesses not having much details, but ...

1. Do a search on "faulty side stand switch" or something along those line. That could be it. A couple of owners ran into that problem.

2. Also, not sure if you were riding in the rain, but several bikes - including my own - have cut out when they get wet. Neat trick, huh.

Finally, sorry to hear you are having problems so soon. That sucks. :(

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I'd check battery terminal connections just for hoo-haws, you'd be surprised how many niggles are loose battery connections or a bad ground on these bikes. If you aren't sure of the battery condition it might be worth checking that out as well...
+1. I've been tricked with simple battery issues a few times.

I'll be surprised if it is heat related. Of the umpteen issues these bikes can have, I don't recall too many threads on heat issues.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Could be anything,,, take it to the dealer and see if there's any updates due.

Mine had a similar problem, read all 50pgs of the sidestand switch and it ended up being a software update.

Hope you get her sorted, cheers!

Reactions: EvilSteve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This has been solved. Turns out that the previous owner had the ECU remapped for a new exhaust. If the checksum of the ECU flash is wrong, the Ducati anti-tamper software shuts the bike off after 40 minutes. I am bringing the bike to a reputable tuner in October to have the issue corrected.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Wow, great information!!! Thank you for this!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
This has been solved. Turns out that the previous owner had the ECU remapped for a new exhaust. If the checksum of the ECU flash is wrong, the Ducati anti-tamper software shuts the bike off after 40 minutes. I am bringing the bike to a reputable tuner in October to have the issue corrected.
Wow that could have some far-reaching liability if it shut you down passing a semi on a mountain road with oncoming traffic. Or any other of a million dangerous situations. Wonder where they came up with 40 minutes?

I find it interesting that in this day and age we still need special cables and special software (when these are even available) to read error codes and diagnostic info. Fer' chrissakes just display it on the screen if it fails a test!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts