Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a brutally expensive Desmo service, my dealer tells me I still I need a new chain and sprockets and that the clutch slave is failing.

The OEM slave cylinder is $167 and my dealer says they think this is the best option but I'm tempted to go with an aftermarket part instead, such as Oberon, PSR or Ducabike.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Iv`e only used Oberon on all my Ducati`s, they have all worked very well and I have never had one fail plus because of the different ratio it makes the clutch lighter. So recommended.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I recently replaced mine with an Oberon and am very happy. Simple to change and noticeably better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I recently replaced mine with an Oberon and am very happy. Simple to change and noticeably better.
I'm interested in this topic.
Was the OEM failing and what were the symptoms if it did?
Or was it a performance mod and if it was, what's better?

·
Registered
23 Posts

Nothing was technically wrong with the OEM cylinder. I heard good things about the Oberon. So while I replaced my clutch and brake reservoirs, I also decided to change this. Definitely smoother shifting and easier on the hand.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my case, the clutch started needing adjustment at the lever on the way down to WCM, eventually I hit the limit of adjustment and had to bleed it on the first day of my return trip. It seemed good as I got some air out but by the time I got home two days later it was losing it's pull again and needing adjustment. It had a full flush as part of the service but the tech said that its leaking, repair not possible, no externally visible signs.

Reactions: DarR

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Good info here from both perspective. Thanks guys for sharing.

·
Registered
426 Posts
After a brutally expensive Desmo service, my dealer tells me I still I need a new chain and sprockets and that the clutch slave is failing.

The OEM slave cylinder is $167 and my dealer says they think this is the best option but I'm tempted to go with an aftermarket part instead, such as Oberon, PSR or Ducabike.

Any opinions?
You mind me asking what brutally expensive was? I’m assuming it was your 30k? As far as the clutch slave cylinder, I find it odd that I have to keep adding fluid in my reservoir. It keeps getting low. Where is it going if there are no visible leak. I just had a new clutch put in, much better but still losing fluid.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You mind me asking what brutally expensive was? I’m assuming it was your 30k? As far as the clutch slave cylinder, I find it odd that I have to keep adding fluid in my reservoir. It keeps getting low. Where is it going if there are no visible leak. I just had a new clutch put in, much better but still losing fluid.
re: clutch, I don't have to top off; there is no visible external leak with mine, just a gradual loss of pressure. Happy to put an Oberon on, I'll probably do the same on my 916.

re: service, it was the 15k service.

I told them not to do the engine oil/filter as I had just done that (V300), but the bike needed rear brake pads ($35). The bill was $515 in parts, $1355 in labor ($149/hr), $44 other (?) for a total of $1914. Plus 10% sales tax, grand total $2105. I was quoted similar by another local dealer, I could have got the price down by restricting the service to just belts/valves and doing all the other items myself (hydraulic flush, clean/lube rear spindle, coolant flush, battery check, torque all bolts and lube pivots) but it's a lot of work to pull all the bodywork and fuel tank.

Last winter I replaced the fork seals after one blew ($89/pair from Ducati Omaha, $20ish on fork oil, $55 on a fork cap socket from the UK, $48 on a seal driver, plus a solid day of my time). In May, I coughed up $108 because Ducati would not warranty my 4th failed fuel level sensor, plus $120 for a failed MAP sensor, and pulled bodywork and fuel tank to replace them. I just ordered an Oberon clutch slave for $132 from Motowheels and will replace it myself (dealer wants $167 plus tax and then labour for the install), a new chain/quick change sprocket is $420 from Sprocket Center plus my time (dealer is $507 plus tax and then labour). Plus 2 sets of tires, obviously those are consumables, so I don't count them.

After 5 years and 16k miles I've spent at least $3300 (incl 600 and 7.5k), or $660/year, in parts and servicing costs. On the flip side, I've done two trips up into Canada and one to Yellowstone/Montana with my son (priceless, as they say), multiple 400 mile day trips over the mountains with friends, plus the run down to the West Coast Meet Up in California this year (also priceless as I needed to get away and the people were great); as one comparison point, the 12k mile service on my Street Triple was over $1000.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Daeyum!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quite.

Add in tabs (>$200 here, don’t ask, it’s screwed up) and insurance and the running costs top $1000/year. Over 5 years, the bike has probably depreciated by $8k; I got it at a good discount toward the end of the season, it’d be worse if I had paid full wedge. So total cost of ownership, ignoring tires and fuel, tops $13k.

There was a thread a little while ago asking why there were so many low mileage Multi’s, and Ducati in general, bikes around. IMHO, once you know what you’re looking at for the big services, especially in this part of the country, you trade/dump it before you get there.

As they say “making mechanics out of motorcyclists”; for me I keep trying to learn and do more myself because I think servicing costs are out of control.

Oh, in case this leaves you with the wrong impression, my Multi is still the best overall bike I’ve owned

·
Registered
3,857 Posts

Quite.

Add in tabs (>$200 here, don’t ask, it’s screwed up) and insurance and the running costs top $1000/year. Over 5 years, the bike has probably depreciated by $8k; I got it at a good discount toward the end of the season, it’d be worse if I had paid full wedge. So total cost of ownership, ignoring tires and fuel, tops $13k.

There was a thread a little while ago asking why there were so many low mileage Multi’s, and Ducati in general, bikes around. IMHO, once you know what you’re looking at for the big services, especially in this part of the country, you trade/dump it before you get there.

As they say “making mechanics out of motorcyclists”; for me I keep trying to learn and do more myself because I think servicing costs are out of control.

Oh, in case this leaves you with the wrong impression, my Multi is still the best overall bike I’ve owned

I was thinking about the $149×hr rate, and I had the balls to bitch about the 120 I paid few weeks ago to a dealer that doesn't even really like me for a dyno work.
(Apparently they don't like when you buy a used bike privately instead of buying a new one from them!)

·
Registered
426 Posts
At the OP, I would have taken the bike down to Portland, you being from Washington. Labor rate is cheaper and non sales tax!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At the OP, I would have taken the bike down to Portland, you being from Washington. Labor rate is cheaper and non sales tax!

True enough, and I considered it, but my time is money too and Portland would have required at least one overnight stay as the engine has to be stone cold for the valve check.

I’ll be studying the LT Snyder book in preparation for the next one

1 - 15 of 15 Posts