Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be getting cabin fever early. Under the general heading of "a fool and his money," after joining the Ducatisti with a MTS 1200, I have stumbled upon a 2014 Monster 1200S. I know the background of this machine and that it has been well-maintained. With the 2014 being the first year for that model (as I understand it), is there a reason to avoid that year? Issues to look for? Thanks in advance for indulging my curiosity and lack of knowledge as I start to read up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I must be getting cabin fever early. Under the general heading of "a fool and his money," after joining the Ducatisti with a MTS 1200, I have stumbled upon a 2014 Monster 1200S. I know the background of this machine and that it has been well-maintained. With the 2014 being the first year for that model (as I understand it), is there a reason to avoid that year? Issues to look for? Thanks in advance for indulging my curiosity and lack of knowledge as I start to read up.

The biggest reason to avoid that bike is because two bikes is the start of a collection. :laugh:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Wouldn’t you rather spend a bit more and go for something wayyy better ?
Like a Monster 16 1200R with only 1800 miles and lots of tasty aftermarket bits on her ?? :grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Redbrit
I love my 2014 1200S. I plan on keeping it vs trading in on a V4 since its such a wonderful bike. There are some disadvantages however; it is much harder to find aftermarket goodies for it like Quickshifters that let you downshift/autoblip. The newer version has it OEM but will cost ya. If that's not a necessary item, then there isn't much reason to buy the newer ones. I have purposely not purchased the new Monster as I have added most of what I wanted to this one; plus a ProShift B&B II shifter. The issue is they are having problems getting the shifter to work 'all the time' without triggering check engine lights. they have been good to work with but are struggling. The shifter downshift is butter and works 100% of the time.

Fueling needs some help around the 4-5k rpm range but a RapidBike Evo fixed that. Brake system is the best out there and HP/torque is almost unbeatable unless you buy a new superbike.

The front forks need attention. I sent mine out to be re-valved and the shim stack fixed where the fork adjustments work well. But I only recommend that if you do track days.

Its been a fun bike to customize and I ride it daily. This past winter I did my valve service and it was pretty easy.

Oh, if you wish to change rearsets, its about $900 so depending on how tall you are and if your foot hits the muffler.

Still, I wouldn't look back on this purchase. I have had no issues with the bike at all and I'm at 21k miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts