Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner here with a 2014 Touring S, low mileage at 13000km. The suspension is crazy firm, and I am no lightweight at 230 lbs.! Mode adjustments make no difference to the rear pre load whatsoever, no visible change in preload or any sounds of servos moving. Took it to an independent Ducati shop and he agreed that nothing is happening with mode selections. I am not, however, getting any error codes, which he thought very strange. He did not have time to hook it up to his computer stuff, hopefully can get it in later this week, and he has put a call in to his local Ducati tech rep.

In the meantime, has anyone had or heard of this issue? I am hoping it's a relatively easy fix but sounds a bit ominous and expensive.

Any input much appreciated!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Changig modes may not change the suspension setting if all modes are set to the same suspension setup (bit strange but possible). Go to the detailed suspension setting in the menu and check it. In fact when you are in the setting menu change the preload in one of the modes and you should hear the servo motor winding the preload adjuster if your SCU is working.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changig modes may not change the suspension setting if all modes are set to the same suspension setup (bit strange but possible). Go to the detailed suspension setting in the menu and check it. In fact when you are in the setting menu change the preload in one of the modes and you should hear the servo motor winding the preload adjuster if your SCU is working.
Thanks, and I did indeed go into the detailed menu, and reset to defaults. Then set them to full soft for touring, and full hard for sport, with no changes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's a bummer. If you had the '10-'12 Öhlins model then your life would be easier as due to the Öhlins Mechatronic SCU upgrade lots of us got rid of the OEM SCU so, it is readily and cheaply available (I guess). No idea about the Sachs specific SCU but I'd try to get a loaner unit from a fellow '13-'14 owner and check if it is an issue with the SCU or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a bummer. If you had the '10-'12 Öhlins model then your life would be easier as due to the Öhlins Mechatronic SCU upgrade lots of us got rid of the OEM SCU so, it is readily and cheaply available (I guess). No idea about the Sachs specific SCU but I'd try to get a loaner unit from a fellow '13-'14 owner and check if it is an issue with the SCU or not.
Agreed, it's a drag that it isn't working, and the next available slot is 2 weeks away with the local shop. It's crap to ride on all but the smoothest roads, but has surely taken the shine off of it for me. My 14 GS Adventure has been faultless since new and this was a sporty addition to the stable.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Agreed, it's a drag that it isn't working, and the next available slot is 2 weeks away with the local shop. It's crap to ride on all but the smoothest roads, but has surely taken the shine off of it for me. My 14 GS Adventure has been faultless since new and this was a sporty addition to the stable.
New owner here with a 2014 Touring S, low mileage at 13000km. The suspension is crazy firm, and I am no lightweight at 230 lbs.! Mode adjustments make no difference to the rear pre load whatsoever, no visible change in preload or any sounds of servos moving. Took it to an independent Ducati shop and he agreed that nothing is happening with mode selections. I am not, however, getting any error codes, which he thought very strange. He did not have time to hook it up to his computer stuff, hopefully can get it in later this week, and he has put a call in to his local Ducati tech rep.

In the meantime, has anyone had or heard of this issue? I am hoping it's a relatively easy fix but sounds a bit ominous and expensive.

Any input much appreciated!
I have a 13 Multistrada which is the same as yours. I'm not sure if this is your problem but I had a intermittent failure on the left control button which changes the riding modes. This would not let me change modes. I also had a DSS failure which caused the suspension to be extra firm but it showed DSS failure on the dash. Both of these problems were not expensive repairs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Strange stuff. Mine allows the change of mode, the dash shows that it has changed, say from Sport to Touring, but no change occurs with pre load on the rear. Engine modes change too. Hopefully it's an easy fix, just a shame to need to wait 2 weeks to get to the shop! Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any updates on the suspension? I have a '13 MTS GT that had issues with the rear shock as well. The problems I had are very different than what you are experiencing, but if it ends up being an issue with the shock itself, I'd recommend looking for a used unit on here or ebay since a new one is $2k.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any updates on the suspension? I have a '13 MTS GT that had issues with the rear shock as well. The problems I had are very different than what you are experiencing, but if it ends up being an issue with the shock itself, I'd recommend looking for a used unit on here or ebay since a new one is $2k.
No update yet as I couldn't get into the shop any sooner than the 2nd of June.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A bit of an update as the mechanic took my bike for a ride. His thoughts are that the whole skyhook system isn't working, not just the preload, as the damping is as firm with bike powered off or on /running. You can barely compress the front forks with the softest preload setting, and the back end is the same. almost like the damping valves are closed up tight. The weird part is that there are no error codes. He'll be in touch with the Canadian tech rep tomorrow and see if some light can be shed on the cause. It's seriously like riding a 2x4 piece of wood on a washboard road! More to come..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts