Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Fake headlights! Who in the world would want to put ridiculous, fake-looking headlights on track-only machines? Hey, wait. Isn't that called NASCAR?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Fake headlights! Who in the world would want to put ridiculous, fake-looking headlights on track-only machines? Hey, wait. Isn't that called NASCAR?
+1

Fake headlights are stupid stupid stupid. Does Ezpleta think we are so brainless we will somehow associate with the race bikes more if they have decals that look like headlights on them? Insulting!

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
why stop at gay fake headlights? why not put fake tape over the fake headlights for the full gay effect? :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
why stop at gay fake headlights? why not put fake tape over the fake headlights for the full gay effect? :mad:
Fake Tape: For that "Street bike-at-a-track-day-event, but really a racer" look.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Yeah, and at each pit stop should be a Starbucks

On second thought, for the guys that go to Starbucks: get the fake headlight decals and put them over their real headlights...oh yeah baby

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+1

Fake headlights are stupid stupid stupid. Does Ezpleta think we are so brainless we will somehow associate with the race bikes more if they have decals that look like headlights on them? Insulting!
Ahh.....Yep! Works for NASCAR....and I agree w/ Whippersnapper they do look pretty cool! It's a smart move as it closes the difference between the race and street bike versions. "What sells on Sunday......" Nobody has done it better than Kawasaki as all of their factory effort racers are painted Kawasaki green. There's no doubt when seeing that color who the manufacturer is....it's a great marketing move. The other manufacturers don't have a "distinct" factory color....Ducati has red, but Honda also uses red in their advertising-"Ride Red"
Yamaha and Suzuki are associated w/ yellow.....Yamaha mainly blue now. Fans love to see the bike they ride to the race in the hands of the factory guys competing, the more that WSBK closes that gap aesthetically the better off the series will be...

·
comrade moderator
27,518 Posts
I think they should make the bikes pretty much "Supersport" or "Superstock" spec. Cheaper to race = more teams can afford to race.
Make the specs a world-wide standard so every country that has a "Superbike" series is running the same bikes...I don't see a down side.

The days of the high dollar ultra trick one-off Superbikes are behind us. In this brave new economy, major steps need to be taken or there will be NO racing.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
...The days of the high dollar ultra trick one-off Superbikes are behind us. In this brave new economy, major steps need to be taken or there will be NO racing.
For National series, I agree, but I'd hope to keep World-level racing at a higher technical spec. I'm sure the riders would too.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Coming from a true Kawasaki fan, I love having the Kawi bikes painted green. its great solidarity within the brand. Ducati should have just kept using red until Honda got out of the way :) There are enough colors for all brands!

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Yeah, and at each pit stop should be a Starbucks

On second thought, for the guys that go to Starbucks: get the fake headlight decals and put them over their real headlights...oh yeah baby
Great idea. As stupid as any idea can be (fake headlights) there is always an idea that ups the 'stupid' ante. I was thinking last night that maybe they should also mandate fake turn signals, too. With the obligatory fake tape over them, of course.

Ahh.....Yep! Works for NASCAR....and I agree w/ Whippersnapper they do look pretty cool! It's a smart move as it closes the difference between the race and street bike versions. "What sells on Sunday......" Nobody has done it better than Kawasaki as all of their factory effort racers are painted Kawasaki green. There's no doubt when seeing that color who the manufacturer is....it's a great marketing move. The other manufacturers don't have a "distinct" factory color....Ducati has red, but Honda also uses red in their advertising-"Ride Red"
Yamaha and Suzuki are associated w/ yellow.....Yamaha mainly blue now. Fans love to see the bike they ride to the race in the hands of the factory guys competing, the more that WSBK closes that gap aesthetically the better off the series will be...
It's a fucking sad day when a motorcycle road racing is compared to the utter retardation of nascrap. Honestly, do any of the fans even notice them? Do they, or YOU, really (REALLY) believe that having them has even the most infinitesimal effect on sales of the street machines?

'hey man, I thought they were racing Ninjas and Panigales?'
'they are.'
'can't be, they don't have headlights. see?'

Having been a sports car racing fan (and worked on them for a living for a while), this kind of stuff offends me greatly. Being a (somewhat) intelligent/informed human being, this offends me greatly. Since you've also brought up colors, why not mandate colors for each mfr to race with. Then, they could also mandate that all the street versions have to be the same. All those other colors just confuse the fans, right?

I think they should make the bikes pretty much "Supersport" or "Superstock" spec. Cheaper to race = more teams can afford to race.
Make the specs a world-wide standard so every country that has a "Superbike" series is running the same bikes...I don't see a down side.

The days of the high dollar ultra trick one-off Superbikes are behind us. In this brave new economy, major steps need to be taken or there will be NO racing.
They used to be damned close. Then the brainiacs at the AMA, and then the BSB, decided they knew better and went their own way. Or, maybe you are suggesting that SBK dumb their stuff to the level of DSB (whatever it's called)?

As for the 'brave new economy', I assume you are suggesting that the recession is the issue. I disagree somewhat. The onset of the spec this and that started a long time ago. The recession is the excuse (currently) to change the rules to 'save money' for the teams.

The fact is that the teams spend just as much and the single suppliers make a more than they would facing competition and the series makes a mint. In the IRL ('Indycar') very little was not spec but the prices for those spec parts was crazy. The series mandated the cost of the car at about a quarter milllion. But, to buy the parts individually, well......

All of this 'we have to do something' is just manufactured just like most of the political problems we have. Perfect example is F1. ANOTHER new engine formula in '14 'to save the teams money!'. They are already as cheap as they can go unless they mandate more spec items like coils, plugs. What is their solution? Make them design another completely, utterly, entirely new type of engine that will share nothing with the previous designs. How does this save anyone money? It doesn't. It cannot. It will not. Manufactured crises.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
This change has been coming for years. Here is an excerpt from my post 2 years ago.

So what is the solution? Ducati News Today predicts that World Superbikes will undergo the same kind of transformation that has occurred in domestic series all over the World in recent years. What passes for a Superbike in the domestic series in countries such as Australia, Italy and the USA are bikes that are more like big Supersport machines than true Superbikes.
Rules allow only Supersport like levels of modifications making it easier and cheaper to field a competitive bike and reinforcing even further the link to the machines you and I can buy in the dealership. And with the horsepower now available from the latest generation of machinery there won’t even be too much of a reduction in speed. You only had to watch Keith Amor on his Superstock BMW taking on the distributor Superbikes during the recent Ulster GP to see that.
World Superbikes used to have carbon fiber brakes but the racing is no less spectacular for their loss and the same will be the case when we arrive at a Senior Supersport class still named World Superbikes. In a twist of irony World Superbikes killed off the Formula 1 class which saw modified production engines in bespoke frames battle one another. It looks as if MotoGP is to become a kind of pseudo F1 and return the favor back to Superbikes.

Why is Ducati Leaving World Superbikes? – Part 3 | Ducati News Today

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
This change has been coming for years. Here is an excerpt from my post 2 years ago.

So what is the solution? Ducati News Today predicts that World Superbikes will undergo the same kind of transformation that has occurred in domestic series all over the World in recent years.
that is your opinion (must you speak in the third person?) but if that does come to be, which national series will they base SBK on? There is nearly as much difference between the Oz series and BSB and BSB and DSB as there is between SBK and any of them. Change for the sake of change doesn't help anything. Especially when things aren't broken in the first place (though they soon will be). Manufactured crises.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts