Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day Fellow Ducatista,

Who has has their Skyhook shock and forks serviced and been happy with the results? I need to have mine done.

Thanks,
t_bare

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
I have the 15S (sachs)... it needs to be sent to the vendor for service (though a skilled suspension tech might be able to, it's missing a recharge port which needs to be installed for non-vendor servicing... at the least). Fork service was straightforward and well worth the money (I'll probably do it every 2 years from now on).

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the 15S (sachs)... it needs to be sent to the vendor for service (though a skilled suspension tech might be able to, it's missing a recharge port which needs to be installed for non-vendor servicing... at the least). Fork service was straightforward and well worth the money (I'll probably do it every 2 years from now on).
Yikes. How much is that going to cost you?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
On the 2013? Pull the rear shock assembly whole without disconnecting the servo tube thingy and send to Racetech. On most MTS models this requires rear subframe being loosened and moved back.

When you get the shock back reinstall and drop bike off at qualified independent or dealer for the front service. They will do the full service for $300. Fork oil, seals and alignment. Just had this done last month and totally worth it. The older the bike, the more noticeable the results.

Depending on your weight you might consider a spring upgrade. Only $120 from Racetech.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Yikes. How much is that going to cost you?
Not sure... sounds like Racetech might be the place to go in the US (I'm sure sending it to Sach's is not going to be cheap). On the plus side... the tech who pulled my shock tested it and said it did not need service at this point (after 4 years and 60,000 miles) so the shock may not need to be serviced that often.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Glad I found this. I have used Racetech for parts and tools, but do not want to dig into our '11 Ohlins forks... leaking, and the '14 Sachs leaking myself. Think I will contact them, ship them over and have them put new bushings, seals, and oil and then I will re-install. I do not have a reputable dealer anywhere near my home. We do have a pretty good multi brand independent, but I think I will ship the forks and wait.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Not sure... sounds like Racetech might be the place to go in the US (I'm sure sending it to Sach's is not going to be cheap). On the plus side... the tech who pulled my shock tested it and said it did not need service at this point (after 4 years and 60,000 miles) so the shock may not need to be serviced that often.
You sir, are in possession of a miracle shock. Mine is also a 2015 and is weeping from the middle where the body joins together. Slowly but surely the kick stand makes more contact with the ground while sat on. 18K miles.

I should probably stop jumping off curbs and such. You'd think a bike designed to go off road (enduro?) would stand up to more abuse. It was explained to me by Racetech that internals are always a compromise between good feel and durability. It's a service item but PITA to service.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
You sir, are in possession of a miracle shock. Mine is also a 2015 and is weeping from the middle where the body joins together. Slowly but surely the kick stand makes more contact with the ground while sat on. 18K miles.

I should probably stop jumping off curbs and such. You'd think a bike designed to go off road (enduro?) would stand up to more abuse. It was explained to me by Racetech that internals are always a compromise between good feel and durability. It's a service item but PITA to service.
So I love everything about this bike... but enduro mode is (imo) a pretty huge stretch. I've ridden a lot of dirt roads... some pretty sketchy... but while it CAN do it... it's not happy there. Small diameter front tire, insufficient suspension travel, and overall weight all conspire to make it not much fun when the road gets too rough.

So I've been pretty easy on the rear shock... on the front I like the occasional wheelie so there's a bit of abuse there, but I don't think the rear has been off the ground unless the bike is on the center stand (no stoppies for me). Even so... I was pretty surprised when the tech came back and told me the shock was fine, after 60k expected it to at least need basic service.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I was pretty surprised when the tech came back and told me the shock was fine, after 60k expected it to at least need basic service.
The dealer told me they usually go until 30K or so before needing service. That would be another two years for me, but it's undersprung for us big guys anyway. Full gear, me (#220), groceries in the top box, it's not even safe. Going to up the spring rate a tad when the rebuild happens.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
The dealer told me they usually go until 30K or so before needing service. That would be another two years for me, but it's undersprung for us big guys anyway. Full gear, me (#220), groceries in the top box, it's not even safe. Going to up the spring rate a tad when the rebuild happens.
I'm in the same ballpark (actually recently lost 15lbs to get to the 220's)... and yea the rear is undersprung but I've still not found a heavier dual rate or progressive spring for our shock.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I'm in the same ballpark (actually recently lost 15lbs to get to the 220's)... and yea the rear is undersprung but I've still not found a heavier dual rate or progressive spring for our shock.
Racetech will supply a fixed rate spring for you. And to the point, I really like the soft ride. It's great. The problem is, this is a high performance bike and occasionally I need it to act like one. An undersprung rear under power doesn't inspire confidence. Our roads, and especially the ones I traverse, are the epitome of shit roads. The loose shock and "relaxed" spring really smooths them out.

Under 50mph I can set the suspension to enduro and stay seated over ANYTHING. But control and oh shit moments require correct spring rate, sag and settings to be safe. I'm too f-ing old to compromise. The MTS is my old-man no compromise bike. Control is everything and whatever hinders it gets fixed or dumped.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Racetech will supply a fixed rate spring for you. And to the point, I really like the soft ride. It's great. The problem is, this is a high performance bike and occasionally I need it to act like one. An undersprung rear under power doesn't inspire confidence. Our roads, and especially the ones I traverse, are the epitome of shit roads. The loose shock and "relaxed" spring really smooths them out.

Under 50mph I can set the suspension to enduro and stay seated over ANYTHING. But control and oh shit moments require correct spring rate, sag and settings to be safe. I'm too f-ing old to compromise. The MTS is my old-man no compromise bike. Control is everything and whatever hinders it gets fixed or dumped.
I'm holding out for dual rate at least... maybe never get it. I want a stiffer rear spring rate but I don't want to lose the compliant ride. If I have to choose between touring comfort and optimum performance I'd choose touring comfort. Performance wise it's not that it's terrible as it is... but it definitely could be better.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I'm holding out for dual rate at least... maybe never get it. I want a stiffer rear spring rate but I don't want to lose the compliant ride. If I have to choose between touring comfort and optimum performance I'd choose touring comfort. Performance wise it's not that it's terrible as it is... but it definitely could be better.
Well I guess we are on the same page. Is there some aspect of the MTS we could argue about? Asking for a friend...

·
Registered
25 Posts
A long ways away, but I've used Boulder Motorsports (Ducati only race shop) https://www.bouldermotorsports.com/ for my (non-skyhook) Multi suspension rebuild (and other Ducati work - and I'm an ex bike mechanic). I'm very happy with all of their Ducati their work.

When shipping forks I've used a cheap plastic/foam gun case from Wally world or somewhere.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A long ways away, but I've used Boulder Motorsports (Ducati only race shop) https://www.bouldermotorsports.com/ for my (non-skyhook) Multi suspension rebuild (and other Ducati work - and I'm an ex bike mechanic). I'm very happy with all of their Ducati their work.

When shipping forks I've used a cheap plastic/foam gun case from Wally world or somewhere.
Thanks,
'
I've got what I need to ship them I am really interested in hearing from someone that had them done. I've talked to a couple of shops that said they "should be able to" I'd like to hear from someone that had them done. I'd prefer to have confirmation and not pay shipping to learn they can't do it.

Thanks,
t_bare

1 - 15 of 15 Posts