Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2013 1200s I started taking off the panels to swap out the fuel sensor (dont ask). What I found was 2 of the bolts holding the main side panel to the fuel tank just spin. The bolts have been overtightened into the inserts, connected to the fuel tank, by some numb nuts at the dealers (probably using a impact gun) so I cant get them out. ....and no I cant prove this but they're the only ones who've been in there - sigh.

Ive tried prising the bolts and turning them, no joy. The only other option is to delicately cut the panels around the bolts, slip the panels off and try to them get the bolts out but I dont want to cut the panel tabs.

Anyone else had this? Any idea to get the bolts out?

·
Registered
2011 Monster 1100 Evo, 2020 Multistrada 1260S, 2008 track 848
36 Posts
On my 2013 1200s I started taking off the panels to swap out the fuel sensor (dont ask). What I found was 2 of the bolts holding the main side panel to the fuel tank just spin. The bolts have been overtightened into the inserts, connected to the fuel tank, by some numb nuts at the dealers (probably using a impact gun) so I cant get them out. ....and no I cant prove this but they're the only ones who've been in there - sigh.

Ive tried prising the bolts and turning them, no joy. The only other option is to delicately cut the panels around the bolts, slip the panels off and try to them get the bolts out but I dont want to cut the panel tabs.

Anyone else had this? Any idea to get the bolts out?
What is the size of these bolts? Can you drill through, smaller diameter than the thread so as not to damage it?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2011. Try a using drill bit slightly larger than the bolt shank to drill the head off the bolt. That way you won't have to damage your plastics. Then you'll have to pry the nut insert out of the plastic and epoxy a new one in. Put a dab of copper anti-seize on all your bolts before you reassemble to minimize the chance of this happening in the future. Good luck. I know how frustrating this can be.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the exact same issue last year (also after a dealer service!) on 4 out of the six side panel bolts.

To remove the panels I used thin abrasive cutoff wheels in a Dremel hand grinder to cut the flanges off the bolts just so the slots in the panel would side over the remainder of the bolt head.

Once the panels were off, I used a cutting burr in the hand grinder to cut (and melt) the plastic around each bolt staying right up beside the bolt and insert. Between material removal and warm plastic I could gradually pull out each insert with the bolt.

The hole was then cleaned up and the inserts reinstalled using JB Weld both in the hole and as a covering filler. New bolts (properly torqued) and washers and we're back in business.

BTW - I had no luck generating enough heat when trying to spin the insert in the tank as suggested elsewhere. I think the plastic is just to thick around the insert for that to work on this tank.

Go slow; be careful and methodical. The trauma will pass.
Good luck
Charlie
tempImageegV1Li.jpg
tempImageU0jsdH.jpg

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Chuck up an EZ-Out in your drill that fits into the socket head and drill in reverse while pulling gently out this will create the needed heat to remove the captive nut. Afterward clean up the hole and refit the nut using marine epoxy. This is a problem from the factory with their choice or thread lock not the necessarily the dealership. I use antiseize when I put them back together as I'd rather lose the bolt than fight with it.

t_bare

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is a problem that I have been told that these models are notorious for. Spinning the bolt and nut with a drill will eventually heat the tank to the point that the bolt and nut can be pulled out. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CUT AROUND THE OPENING. THERE IS VERY LITTLE SPACE BETWEEN THE OPENING AND THE TANK COMPARTMENT AND THE TANK CAN BE EASILY COMPROMISE. DO NOT ASK HOW I KNOW. Tank for a Multistrada is between $1600-$1700 and then you will have to swap out the fuel pump flange as well. ALSO USE AN ANTILOCK PRODUCT WHEN REASSEMBLING THE BODY WORK TO THE TANK AS OTHERS HAVE NOTED. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone, superb suggestions. Surprised this is a common issue.
Cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
Chuck up an EZ-Out in your drill that fits into the socket head and drill in reverse while pulling gently out this will create the needed heat to remove the captive nut. Afterward clean up the hole and refit the nut using marine epoxy. This is a problem from the factory with their choice or thread lock not the necessarily the dealership. I use antiseize when I put them back together as I'd rather lose the bolt than fight with it.

t_bare
Sorry but I have to disagree with the notion that the issue is due to the factory's use of thread lock ... the panels on my bike have been off at least once every year for its entire life (I'm sole and first owner) for cleaning and inspections. I've never used a thread lock on these fasteners and the "spun inserts" appeared directly after a major service (48K km) done by the dealership. No thread lock was used by the dealership either ...

In the end it doesn't really matter though - just pick an approach that you are comfortable with and work through it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My '13 did this too. Panels were never off till the dealer replaced the fuel level sender. They cut the panels and left the bolts where they were. Rode it for quite a bit like this with no problems at all.

May attempt to remove the inserts as above, reinstall and glue up the panels while i'm in there...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, job done. 3 bolts we're spinning. Cut the heads off using a dremel so the panels would slide over. Removed panels. Spun the bolts and inserts using a drill, tried the screw extraction method and that's as much use as a chocolate teapot, it simply doesn't have the force to get it out.
With the plastic smoking, used a panel removal tool to prise it retainer and bolt out. Be careful, these things pop like ripe zits. The first almost flew across the garage but thankfully was stopped by the door of my car, sigh.
Cleaned up the hole, filled with epoxy, forced the retainer back in with a rubber mallet, cleaned up the surround.
Having issues loading pics from phone, stay tuned.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good result! I'm glad you got things sorted without having to cut the panel mounting ears.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts