Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed oil stains on the floor under my parked bike. On further inspection, I noticed black charred oil baked across that lower engine area, probably from years of leaking that I never noticed. I cleaned everything up with engine degreaser and let bike sit. After a day, warmed up engine and noticed a slow oil drip. The pictures below are post-cleaning.

Is this a common issue with the Monsters from that year? Case hairline fracture or gasket maybe?

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
It would appear to be a head / cylinder leak . Try torquing down everything to spec and see if that helps. It doesn’t appear to be a valve cover. You can clean it, run it, and periodically blow some baby powder on it to trace the leak. It always helps to know the exact source.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would appear to be a head / cylinder leak . Try torquing down everything to spec and see if that helps. It doesn’t appear to be a valve cover. You can clean it, run it, and periodically blow some baby powder on it to trace the leak. It always helps to know the exact source.
Great advice, hadn't thought about baby powder. Is it common for older Monsters to leak from this area?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
"older monsters" lol. no, not common. they can leak from the cam end caps, but yours should have the square section rubber ring in there so shouldn't be that. the ds style engine uses a proper head gasket

1 - 4 of 4 Posts