Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, i pulled the trigger on my second bike in the stable, 2013 Monster 1100evo. I never spent so much time analyzing the field from 848evo, SF, MV Agusta, Norton. The monster won out on simplicity, weight and torque. The SF was close as the dealer had a leftover he was willing to part with. MV dealerships are too thin.

The monster will be ridden on very tight twistys with limited straight roads. I have the BMW for the highway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congrats on the Monster. I picked up a 2012 Monster EVO to go with my BMW R1100S. The Monster is significantly lighter, quicker, and more fun. You will flat-out love it.

MillerTime

·
Registered
74 Posts
Enjoy

Enjoy the new Evo. I'm loving my 2012. I test rode the SF848 also, but felt right away that the Monster was for me. Ride safe. Let see the pics.
Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You considered a Norton?? Assuming you're talking about the new ones, what alternate universe dealership did you actually find one at?

Congrats on the Monster!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New Nortons - The dealers keep saying they are in the mail and you must give them a deposit. I was hearing that for two years. There is only one in the US and i was able to see it. Great bike. Access to parts (and bikes) was the main detractor for holding out any longer. I love the 1100 evo - perfect for what i need.

I learned on an old norton back in the 70s - along with my 200 dollar ducati.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Apologies for a little detour, butt can you tell me how many miles you have on your BMW?

Best, SpikeC

Congrats on the Monster. I picked up a 2012 Monster EVO to go with my BMW R1100S. The Monster is significantly lighter, quicker, and more fun. You will flat-out love it.

MillerTime

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Have you ridden all the bikes you were considering? The reason I ask is, I own a Monster 1100 EVO and I love it but I was really impressed with the Streetfighter 848 the couple times I've ridden it... enough that I think I'd probably have purchased it instead of the M1100 EVO if it was available when I bought my bike.

Both bikes excel at tight twisty roads though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you ridden all the bikes you were considering? The reason I ask is, I own a Monster 1100 EVO and I love it but I was really impressed with the Streetfighter 848 the couple times I've ridden it... enough that I think I'd probably have purchased it instead of the M1100 EVO if it was available when I bought my bike.

Both bikes excel at tight twisty roads though.
Never had a chance to ride the SF. I did spend hours researching and the SF, according to most is does everything better. I was after light, torque and a slightly more upright riding position. Didn't need a highway bike and most of the roads i am on you are not going to ride much about 40 mph. (posted speed is around 20) They are very narrow and all turns and lots of 18% grade hills. When the roads were made if they came to a big rock the would just go around it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Never had a chance to ride the SF. I did spend hours researching and the SF, according to most is does everything better. I was after light, torque and a slightly more upright riding position. Didn't need a highway bike and most of the roads i am on you are not going to ride much about 40 mph. (posted speed is around 20) They are very narrow and all turns and lots of 18% grade hills. When the roads were made if they came to a big rock the would just go around it.
Well, the M1100 EVO and the SF848 make about the same torque but the SF has an extra 30hp and revs much higher. I came from a bike that had a 10,500 rev limit so adjusting to the air-cooled Monster and its 8000rpm rev limit took a bit of getting used to. It has a much narrower powerband than the SF. That liquid-cooled motor in the SF is really sweet and the bike looks hot in that yellow color.

I actually got to take the SF848 home one night because of a charging problem with my bike. Wish I could have spent a couple days with it, here it is in my garage (yeah, I know... my garage is a mess). ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the M1100 evo and the SF848. Both are a blast, but don't second guess your purchase. Otherwise, you will end up in a never ending cycle of trading in motorcycles trying to find the ever elusive perfect bike.
I speak from experience...over 20 motorcycles in 20 years.
In my meaningless opinion, the best bike is the one thats paid off.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have the M1100 evo and the SF848. Both are a blast, but don't second guess your purchase. Otherwise, you will end up in a never ending cycle of trading in motorcycles trying to find the ever elusive perfect bike.
I'm not second guessing my purchase. I've put over 10,000 miles on my M1100 EVO and I love it. But if I had it to do over I'd probably be really torn between the SF848 and the bike I have now. They are both great bikes but the SF848 would probably get the nod. I'm also trying to convey to the original poster that he really should go ride the bikes he's considering buying before he makes his decision.

I'm kind of curious why you have two bikes that are so similar?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well stated Mario! I've gone through 10 bikes in 12 years. I think I'm done for a few years.......however, the new Multi Pikes Peak looks incredible! Thank goodness it is a little out of my price range. I'll stick with my Monster and BMW R1100S.

MillerTime

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm kind of curious why you have two bikes that are so similar?
I need two bikes in the garage so when one breaks down I have a back up. Since I ride a lot miles, I wanted both to be everyday bikes...and both Ducatis. In the past, I had one everyday bike and one impractical bike, but in the end the everyday bike took all the miles...I know it doesn't make sense, but thats my reasoning.

BTW, I didn't mean to suggest you were being indecisive. Sorry.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well, the M1100 EVO and the SF848 make about the same torque but the SF has an extra 30hp and revs much higher. I came from a bike that had a 10,500 rev limit so adjusting to the air-cooled Monster and its 8000rpm rev limit took a bit of getting used to. It has a much narrower powerband than the SF. That liquid-cooled motor in the SF is really sweet and the bike looks hot in that yellow color.

I actually got to take the SF848 home one night because of a charging problem with my bike. Wish I could have spent a couple days with it, here it is in my garage (yeah, I know... my garage is a mess). ;)

93.5 Nm (69 lb-ft) @ 9,500 rpm SF848

103 Nm (76 lb-ft) @ 6,000 rpm 1100EVO

These bikes are very different in their set up. I have to admit that I have been thinking about the SF848 a lot since it came out but the more I ride my Monster EVO, the more I like it.

I am really curious to see how the new monster is going to be. How are they going to differentiate it from the SF848? They will have very similar water-cooled engines. Will be interesting.

And the fact that the Monster 1100 EVO is (most probably) the last air-cooled Ducati makes it more interesting to keep.

·
Registered
175 Posts
93.5 Nm (69 lb-ft) @ 9,500 rpm SF848

103 Nm (76 lb-ft) @ 6,000 rpm 1100EVO

These bikes are very different in their set up. I have to admit that I have been thinking about the SF848 a lot since it came out but the more I ride my Monster EVO, the more I like it.

I am really curious to see how the new monster is going to be. How are they going to differentiate it from the SF848? They will have very similar water-cooled engines. Will be interesting.

And the fact that the Monster 1100 EVO is (most probably) the last air-cooled Ducati makes it more interesting to keep.
What makes you think it's the last air-cooled engine they will make? I would hope they keep the Monster air-cooled only and let the folks who want a higher HP, liquid cooled bike get a SF.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
What makes you think it's the last air-cooled engine they will make? I would hope they keep the Monster air-cooled only and let the folks who want a higher HP, liquid cooled bike get a SF.
I heard the same thing from a Ducati rep at the IMS last month. He was saying that emissions requirements are what is driving this change and that he thinks the air-cooled engines will be a thing of the past in a few years. Granted this was just his opinion, he was very clear that this was not something that came from Ducati, just his opinion.

I'd like to keep my M1100 EVO but would love to have a liquid cooled Monster as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts