Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 2013 MTS at a local used bike dealer. They claim it's an 'S Touring', but I'm unable to tell for sure. Since they deal in all used bikes, they're not super knowledgeable on Ducati.

Is there a fool-proof way to tell if it's a base or Touring model? Badging or other?

I'm not familiar enough with these to know for sure. It's silver and has color matched hard-cases. No center stand, but it's got an Arrow exhaust and cat delete, plus aftermarket shorty levers, so it's been modded some and wouldn't surprise me if the center stand had been removed.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a 13 S touring. Should have the panniers, center stand and the S sky hook suspension. Do you have any pictures of bike in question?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 13 S touring. Should have the panniers, center stand and the S sky hook suspension. Do you have any pictures of bike in question?
It's got panniers, but no center stand, which is the confusing part.

I know the Touring has Skyhook, but don't know how to identify that. Looks like the pic that Opus posted will identify Skyhook or no.

Pics from the ad don't give great detail but are in the ad here.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Odd. I get 'Multistrada 1200 ABS'

Based on that, plus the red fork caps in the pics, I'm fairly certain it's a base model. Bummer.

Might have been a different site. I did it before that post was made.

Yeah, I would be surprised if someone who bought a Touring model would take off the center stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Funny...the ad title and description do not agree with one another. While I do think it’s strange the centerstand isn’t on there, I know a guy who’s removed his center stand and hasn’t put it back on. Price seems awfully low for an S bike too. Either way a major service is due at 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny...the ad title and description do not agree with one another. While I do think it’s strange the centerstand isn’t on there, I know a guy who’s removed his center stand and hasn’t put it back on. Price seems awfully low for an S bike too. Either way a major service is due at 15,000 miles.
Yeah, it started at $9k and has been sitting for a while. They sell mostly to the Harley and younger sportbike crowd, and anything else tends to sit.

Price makes it tempting, but upcoming maintenance plus no previous maintenance records is a minus. No Skyhook and color are minuses for me, too. It wasn't beat down, but didn't have the best care, either. Rear signal stocks were broken and taped with electrical tape, Arrow can has a scuff and the right case had a few scrapes. Maybe a tip over or brushed against something.

I'll stew on it for a while but will probably keep looking.

Thanks for all the help, folks!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ducati

with the VIN number you should able to see
Modeltype and open recalls
Funny, before I saw this I sent an email to Ducati with the VIN asking for model info. They replied today to let me know they couldn't tell me anything about the bike unless I could verify I was the owner. :think:

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
Funny, before I saw this I sent an email to Ducati with the VIN asking for model info. They replied today to let me know they couldn't tell me anything about the bike unless I could verify I was the owner. :think:
Thank the new European General Data Protection Regulation for that response.

Looking at the bike, it damn sure looks like an base ABS 1200 MTS.

Question.. on 2010-2012 only the touring bikes came with favtory handwarmers. Im pretty sure a -13 S should have them, but not a base.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Question.. on 2010-2012 only the touring bikes came with favtory handwarmers. Im pretty sure a -13 S should have them, but not a base.
Right, base models did not come with heated grips. All the articles I read regarding '10 to at least '14 model years, only the Touring package had heated grips.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Keep looking

Find the best condition bike you can. Unless you want a beater to ride now and then sell off. When you find a good one you (at least me) love it and put a lot of love into it, meaning $$$. It is worth it to put money in a bike you plan to keep a long time. I got lucky and found a gem. I am so glad I did not settle for the hard ridden ones I came across. I got a 2010 MTS S Touring with only 1800 miles on it and Termi full exhaust a few months ago for $9K, and put about $3K into updating it the past few months. I thought the one I got was a sport model, because it had lots of carbon fiber on it and no center stand and no stickers. But that was just mods the guy did. Real Vin shows it is a S Touring. Guys take the center stand off because it grinds on hard cornering. I am not really sure it is needed. I got a pad for the side stand and a Pit Bull rear swing arm lift that cover's all bases.

I feel really blessed to have found this bike and I love it! I don't know if you'll find a deal quite like that, but look for the best one you can find then you'll have plenty to do to it. I just got my timing belts changed out because they were 8 years old, even though low miles. SCU, Tuneboy, windscreen, Sargent seats, there is lots to do...

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
The tell for me, whether it's an S Sport or an S touring with the center stand removed is the center stand lift handle on the LHS passenger foot peg. On the Sport models, there's actually a block off plate where the handle would normally be. I'm sure some super OCD peeps would buy the block off if the pulled off the center stand and the lifting handle but, I'd be surprised.

OP's bike isn't even and S though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts