Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, I'm one of the lucky ones to have the pleasure of dealing with a coil pack failure that has taken out my dash. Best of all, it was one month out of warranty!

I bought the bike about a year ago with 1500 miles on it (it's now at 8300). The only problems I've had with it was a burnt our headlight (replace with a stock voltage bulb) and a couple stalls (usually while it was still warming up). Seven thousand miles later, I felt like my 2013 was the exception to the rule as it hadn't had any of the catastrophic electrical failures a fair amount of 2013 owners have reported. About two weeks ago, on my way home, all of that changed.

After my dash lit up like a Christmas tree, I was able to diagnose the situation and delivered it to Ducati of Seattle to get repaired. Ducati of NA had them run test on it and they decided, based on the error logs, that it was the BBS unit, not the dash. Ducati of Seattle ordered the part and made the swap....no dice. After the bike had been there for nearly two weeks, Ducati of NA decided to have the dealer test the coils. Sure enough, one of them was shot. This is when Ducati of NA finally told the dealer to order new coils and a dash.

At this point, the dealer looked at the running total ($2500 in parts alone) and asked the area rep what Ducati of NA was going to cover for this "known issue". The rep's answer....nothing. Considering that the bike is stock, one month out of warranty and all of the required maintenance has been done at an authorized dealer, Ducati of Seattle is stepping up to the plate for me and waging a battle against the new Ducati of NA area manager.

So there you go....even if your dealer works hard for you to keep your business, a Ducati of NA area manager can try to piss that relationship away with one email. I plan on being a thorn in Ducati of NA's side until this either gets resolved (they cover parts, I cover labor) or I get tired of harassing them about it years from now. This is a BS "known issue" for the 2013 model which they should be doing a recall for. It's sad that they're treating this like routine failure instead of a quality issue during manufacturing.

I'll update this thread as the story progresses.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I love my hyper and from the first time I saw one in person i knew i had to have one. I'm lucky to have not had any problems in the 3 years I've owned it except for normal maintaince. Now Would i buy another Ducati ... Probably not . The reason is the way Ducati handles its loyal customers . All the problems especially with the newer hypers . I know all popular bikes change year to year but it dosen't look like they are doing their part in engineering these bikes correctly and there are too many recalls too many problems. A $2500 + repair on a 2 year old bike with under 10,000 miles is unacceptable and a known issue with other bikes and no recall . Good luck with getting your bike fixed .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love the hell out of mine too! It's really perfect for all of my needs...leg room, perfect weight, right amount of power and it's good on the freeway or in the city. There's not much out there that will actually fit my needs without compromising somewhere. I've had good experiences with the two local dealers and looked forward to working with them for a long time. It has to be frustrating for them when they see a potential forever customer and the home office won't back them up.

You said it perfectly....a $2500 + repair on a 2 year old bike with under 10k is unacceptable. If they were proactive and just replaced the coils in the 2013 models (especially if they can identify the specific coils/manufacture dates), they'd save a lot of headaches and heartache. I don't know how much more carpooling into work with my girlfriend I can take! (still have my sense of humor...seriously though...)

·
Registered
657 Posts
It sucks that Ducati won't cover it and take it as a warranty claim, its a known problem with the 13 models. That kinda move is what makes a brand loose its loyal customers. Good luck working with your dealership and keep us posted.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Definitely keep us posted. Like you said a great bike, but how they handle problems is suspect. Getting quite nervous as my warranty winds down. The looming ktm 800 p-twin has my attention - but I really wish ducati would get proactive on this stuff as I'd like to keep the damned thing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ducati of Seattle is still in discussions with Ducati of NA regarding this issue. It complicates things since I'm not the original owner, but the fact that I bought it when it was still in warranty does benefit me. It also helps that it has always been serviced under the same dealer ownership group (Ducati of Seattle/Bellevue).

Ducati of Seattle has been great during this whole thing. They have been giving me updates and have explained how they are approaching Ducati of NA regarding this dispute. It almost sounds like the service manager has to write a court appeal to make my case to the home office. No matter how this goes, Ducati of Seattle will still get my business (even if it's just for gear) and praise.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is one of my biggest worries....with only one month left of warranty I am considering buying an extended warranty just for an issue like this.

So far mine has been as reliable as any other bike I have had, but it still sits there in the back of my mind.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just bought a house in May, so I was hoping to re-up my warranty with my next bonus (November). I thought I was good through October (didn't receive a notice of it ending in September even though the bike was tied to my personal information in their system), but maybe they don't send warranty renewal notices? Anyways...of all the months for it to die...

This is all such a shame since it's such a great bike when it's running!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thankfully, this story has a happy ending!

After all the back and forth, Ducati of Seattle made Ducati of North America see the light and they're going to cover the cost of the parts (dash/coils). Without the help from Joel in service, I don't believe this deal would have happened. I'm more than happy to pay for labor at this point as they deserve it!

Let this be a lesson....keep an eye on your warranty end date (especially on those 2013s) or be ready for a battle/big bill.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thankfully, this story has a happy ending!

After all the back and forth, Ducati of Seattle made Ducati of North America see the light and they're going to cover the cost of the parts (dash/coils). Without the help from Joel in service, I don't believe this deal would have happened. I'm more than happy to pay for labor at this point as they deserve it!

Let this be a lesson....keep an eye on your warranty end date (especially on those 2013s) or be ready for a battle/big bill.
Very cool! I've been following your saga, and in my head I can't think of why Ducati won't cover parts - esp. if it's a known issue.

Glad they were able to come through. Any idea of how much labor or out of pocket costs you'll have to pay?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll see if I can get any more details out of the service department. I was surprised myself when they originally came back with a "no". If I had a massive failure of something else and I couldn't find multiple instances of it on the net I wouldn't have pitched a fit (respectfully) as I did. There's bad luck and then there's quality issues. I've paid for bad luck before, but I'll fight against quality issues every single time!

I just hope Ducati will take a closer look at this issue and find a fix/replacement for the coils before a major failure has to happen. I know there's that balance of cost to fix per instance and cost to do a recall, but this is a particularly brutal repair cost to swallow as these bikes warranties start to run out.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'll see if I can get any more details out of the service department. I was surprised myself when they originally came back with a "no". If I had a massive failure of something else and I couldn't find multiple instances of it on the net I wouldn't have pitched a fit (respectfully) as I did. There's bad luck and then there's quality issues. I've paid for bad luck before, but I'll fight against quality issues every single time!

I just hope Ducati will take a closer look at this issue and find a fix/replacement for the coils before a major failure has to happen. I know there's that balance of cost to fix per instance and cost to do a recall, but this is a particularly brutal repair cost to swallow as these bikes warranties start to run out.
I've been to Ducati Seattle, and those guys are super nice. I went in while on vacation--with obviously no intention of buying a bike, and they offered me a test ride on any bike. It was hard to resist since I was on vacation with my wife and kid, but that openness left me a great impression of their staff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been to Ducati Seattle, and those guys are super nice. I went in while on vacation--with obviously no intention of buying a bike, and they offered me a test ride on any bike. It was hard to resist since I was on vacation with my wife and kid, but that openness left me a great impression of their staff.
I took my '13 SP in to Ducati Seattle a couple months ago to get the right fork leg looked at. It had lost all dampning. Joel went to bat for me and was able to get it replaced. Only thing I needed to pay for was 1 hr of labor. I was a little over a month outside of the warranty period. Good guys over at Ducati Seattle.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My last update (hopefully)!

I got my Hyper back from the dealer last night. It ended up costing me $525 for the labor to diagnose the failure and to remove/replace the dash and coils (4.2hrs). As I've said in previous posts, I was more than happy to pay for labor considering how Ducati of Seattle fought for me and the fact that I was a month out of the manufacturer warranty. While it was in, they also did the recall on the throttle. The bike felt just like it used to on the way home. Nothing unexpected...just my Hyper back the way it was supposed to be (although it was strange to ride it again after a couple weeks on a VFR).

I asked the service manager why they didn't just authorize the fix in the first place and he said it was just the new regional manager feeling like he had to do everything by the book because he's new/being scrutinized (which means no free out of warranty work). The service manager and his boss had a phone call with the regional manager and his boss. The service manager told them that if they didn't just fix this he was going to have to send me their way and that I'd be relentless. Well, I guess that was enough for Ducati of NA.

And this is probably where the story ends. I chatted with the service manager a bit when I picked it up and since Ducati NA made this right in the long run, I'm going to give them one more shot. I sat on a 1200s last night for the first time and it felt really good. I'm going to take it for a test ride in the coming weeks and if I like it, I'm going to trade the HM in for it. I'm more than happy to give Ducati of Seattle my business after all of this as I know they have my back.

I'll miss the Hyper...it's great bike to ride. My lingering concerns about this failure happening again and the fact that I'll be on the hook for it makes me want something else with a full warranty. The service manager said the 821/1200 Monsters are pretty bulletproof, so I'll give them a shot!

Good luck with your 821 Hypers!! I hope you can ride the wheels off it without having to deal with the coil/dash failure. If it does happen though, fight your ass off to get Ducati NA to cover at least parts. It's not your fault that the bike has a potential point of failure.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My last update (hopefully)!

I got my Hyper back from the dealer last night. It ended up costing me $525 for the labor to diagnose the failure and to remove/replace the dash and coils (4.2hrs). As I've said in previous posts, I was more than happy to pay for labor considering how Ducati of Seattle fought for me and the fact that I was a month out of the manufacturer warranty. While it was in, they also did the recall on the throttle. The bike felt just like it used to on the way home. Nothing unexpected...just my Hyper back the way it was supposed to be (although it was strange to ride it again after a couple weeks on a VFR).

I asked the service manager why they didn't just authorize the fix in the first place and he said it was just the new regional manager feeling like he had to do everything by the book because he's new/being scrutinized (which means no free out of warranty work). The service manager and his boss had a phone call with the regional manager and his boss. The service manager told them that if they didn't just fix this he was going to have to send me their way and that I'd be relentless. Well, I guess that was enough for Ducati of NA.

And this is probably where the story ends. I chatted with the service manager a bit when I picked it up and since Ducati NA made this right in the long run, I'm going to give them one more shot. I sat on a 1200s last night for the first time and it felt really good. I'm going to take it for a test ride in the coming weeks and if I like it, I'm going to trade the HM in for it. I'm more than happy to give Ducati of Seattle my business after all of this as I know they have my back.

I'll miss the Hyper...it's great bike to ride. My lingering concerns about this failure happening again and the fact that I'll be on the hook for it makes me want something else with a full warranty. The service manager said the 821/1200 Monsters are pretty bulletproof, so I'll give them a shot!

Good luck with your 821 Hypers!! I hope you can ride the wheels off it without having to deal with the coil/dash failure. If it does happen though, fight your ass off to get Ducati NA to cover at least parts. It's not your fault that the bike has a potential point of failure.
I had a multi 1200S touring a while back. Great bike! You'll love it.

My only advice is not to trade in the bike, they will give you next to nothing for it ~ 5K?. Go sell it private party!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a multi 1200S touring a while back. Great bike! You'll love it.

My only advice is not to trade in the bike, they will give you next to nothing for it ~ 5K?. Go sell it private party!
I'd probably never be able to sell it then since there's no way I could sell it to an individual without telling them the entire story and how much then can expect to pay if it fails again. They might be interested at first, but then I'd probably talk them out of it! lol

Sure, this failure might not happen again, but it wouldn't be the first one to fail this way twice. I don't really want to sit on it until I can find someone that doesn't care, nor do I want it on my conscious. I'd be willing to take the hit just to move on at this point and so that I can get back to daily commuting on something other than my backup bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I have the same problem with my hyperstrada 821 2013. I'm from Argentina and Ducati not recognize the problem as "known issue" . Can any help me with some more thata of problem, as number of RECALL CAMPAIGNE? Thank's

·
Registered
397 Posts
There is no recall but I just had this happen and the repair was goodwill and free. A 6 year old bike with 37,000 miles. Happened to a friend a few years ago on a bike he bought used - also a goodwill repair. They should do this for you.

·
Registered
2014 Ducati 821 Hpermotard, 2007 KTM 525xcw Dakar, 2003 Suzuki SV1000S 1994 BMWR100GS
7 Posts
Hoping this issue was dealt with for the 2014 Hyper...gulp!:oops:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts