Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm having some issues with my bike. If I leave it on a tender at night. It will start just fine. And run forever and not die. But if I go even a day without leaving it on the tender. It will only start twice or 3 sometimes 4 times and then won't start. I have a normal battery and not a lithium battery so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. It's practically a brand new battery. When I ride to work and back it's only like a 5 minute ride. So is it maybe that I'm just not giving it enough run time for the stator to recharge the battery? Or my other thought is that it's the stator or rectifyer
Please help

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Most likely you have a weak cell in your battery. It's probably starting to sulfate and degrade. It only takes one cell to get weak. The rest of the cells can't make up the loss in cranking power. Riding your bike only five miles to work is not a good idea for several reasons. It's hard on the battery because it's more then likely discharging especially if you ride at slower speeds. Riding short distances is also bad for the oil and your engine. Combustion acids and water vapor are created and never get burned off because your engine never fully gets warm. Not warm by the temp gauge. All off the metals and oil never reach operating temperatures. Also, don't start your bike and let it idle in the driveway hoping the battery will charge. It's never going to charge that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts