Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, with the new "Skyhook" and engine changes, there's obviously differences between the 2012 Multi and the 2013. I would assume, under the circumstances, that dealers will be interested in "dealing" on 2012s.

So here's the question: for real world use, including fun in twisties, some light dirt road riding, but mostly tarmac, how significant are those changes? Is it so significant that one would be foolish to buy 2012, even if you save a fair amount? Or are the 2013s nice upgrades but not something that makes one walk away from a 2012?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Foolish to buy a 2012? I don't think any bike with Ohlins suspension is a foolish decision.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I am in the same position. Now having spent a little time on a 2011 Std and knowing what a phenomenal bike it is- I gotta have one.

The engine mods should be great +2013. The suspension-?, known for as yet 'untried' no history; draw to possible +2012

The windshield and other minor changes probably +2013

So... it will depend somewhat on what kinda of discount you can get, and where you have to go and what you have to do to get/find a 2012. If both are the same or within 1K or so. I am thinking advantage 2013.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Pre 2013s appear to be more than a few pounds lighter from less gizmos. To me, that's important too.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It comes down to dollar difference I think. I'd say if it was closer to 3k cheaper then get the 2012. The differences aren't that insignificant with over a dozen improvements. Not enough for me to upgrade until they come with cruise control (hopefully in 2014) and maybe an aluminum tank (like on the 848). Consider that resale of a 2010-12 will also drop by a few thousand now that they've made all these changes.

The improvements in the 2013 that I really like are the improved fueling, torque, mileage and smoothness of the engine - thanks to the dual spark plugs, redesigned injection and exhaust. Also the 3 way ABS, since mine cuts in too early. The low and high on with high beam would save me a finger cramp holding the pass switch down on the highway at night. I like the concept of the active suspension but am a bit dubious based on Ash's comments on how it affected cornering and how it would really work with things like potholes or speed bumps.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like the engine improvements in performance also. With the suspension, the biggest selling point would be elimination of front end dive when braking and stopping.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hmmmm

Agree that the engine upgrade makes me want a bit. Although I rode my 2011 S today to work and in Urban mode in LA city traffic and lousy pavement I really cant say there is a problem with the engine of suspension. Yes.. it lags a vibrates a bit under 3000 rpm in second and begs for a downshift and the new motor probably eliminates that with an added dose of useable torque there but it cant be that much better..........can it?

Also.. I read a review that only the Gran Tourismo version has the heated grips and not the regular S touring. I love my heated grips..

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
I like these discussions because I'm new here for a reason...I just bought a 2012 after tormenting myself for a few days. I didn't save three K, but came fairly close (I think close to 3K might be possible on a cash deal), and also the .99% money (virtually free to me) made buying it easy.

I wanted Ohlins, even if I have to do some tuning to get it straight, and I suspect a spring kit will do that for me. Staying above 3K isn't that hard, really but I'm told FatDucs will sort most of that as well. So I reckon I got the bike to ride now, some money to fix the little issues and have a bit less than 2K left over to offset the added depreciation.

I'm content, but I don't kid myself that the new one won't be better. They make them better, that's their job.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
I love my heated grips..
Yeah, that LA weather can be a real bear at times! Unless you go to the real Bear up north...LOL

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agree that the engine upgrade makes me want a bit. Although I rode my 2011 S today to work and in Urban mode in LA city traffic and lousy pavement I really cant say there is a problem with the engine of suspension. Yes.. it lags a vibrates a bit under 3000 rpm in second and begs for a downshift and the new motor probably eliminates that with an added dose of useable torque there but it cant be that much better..........can it?

Also.. I read a review that only the Gran Tourismo version has the heated grips and not the regular S touring. I love my heated grips..
Can the sub-3000 rpm lag/vibration issue be cured with something like a well-tuned Z-Fi? It did wonders on my Monster.

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 12' also has ABS. These post act like the 13' is a brand new sheet of paper design. It is not. Going from Ohlins to Sachs is a regress to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,860 Posts
Yeah, hope it's not just sour-grapeing to think the Ohlins models might remain pretty desireable down the road.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Foolish to buy a 2012? I don't think any bike with Ohlins suspension is a foolish decision.
I'd have to disagree. On my 2010 1200S, I have two pieces of Ohlins. Both have failed (leaking seal in front fork, the dreaded DES Preload failure on the rear), both just outside of the warranty.

Ohlins is on my $#!7 list.

Yes, it's very pretty, but I can't reward a company with future business when they bring to market such a high failure rate. On a bike at this price point, the amount of failures they'd had is unforgiveable.

·
Registered
115 Posts
They make them better, that's their job.
I am not convinced that's true - 3rd model year...

Biggest difference, dual spark, ohlins gone, and bigger bags on a touring but heated grips off the other?

In the world of economics I would say they are on the profit side of their 'L' curve and need to add some perceivable tweaks but simultaneously maximize profit.

Maybe 2015 we'll see more significant upgrades.

As for now, how much do we want to bet that Ohlins sells a metric ton of forksets for the 13?

:)

1 - 20 of 107 Posts