Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the starter motor this weekend and my 2012 SF848 still won't start. The old starter feels like something is causing it to turn roughly when compared to the new starter, so I assume that it's bad. I haven't taken it apart, but I assume it needs rebuilding or the trash can.

So far, I've completed the following:
1. Replace one coil.
2. New battery.
3. New spark plugs.
4. New Motolectric upgrade kit.
5. New starter relay.
6. New starter motor.
7. Taken off fuel tank and fuel pump. Fuel pump seems to be working and fuel lines don't seem to be plugged.
8. Previously checked all grounds, checked fuses, checked with the two different stock keys to see if that was the problem, gone from one end of the bike to the other checking and cleaning electrical wires, etc., etc.

Engine will turn over and almost start, but just won't start.

I'm thinking next to cut the kickstand wires and link the wires together to continue the circuit. I've read that this might be causing a problem and thought I'd try this. Has anyone else done this and does it work to just link the wires together to complete the circuit?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It should still start with the stand down and not in gear,have you checked compression? Is it getting fuel to both cylinders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike does seem to be getting fuel.

My bike won't turn over unless I have the clutch pulled in when the stand is down which is normal. Nor will it turn over if I pull the kickstand wire connection apart.

Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The bike does seem to be getting fuel.

My bike won't turn over unless I have the clutch pulled in when the stand is down which is normal. Nor will it turn over if I pull the kickstand wire connection apart.

Thanks for the thoughts.
I don't think that is normal if the bike is also in neutral. My '12 848 as well as a friend's 1098 have always started when on the kickstand, in neutral regardless of whether the clutch is pulled in or not. Perhaps I've misunderstood what you've described.

Mike R...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Sounds like it's in gear which is why you need to pull the clutch.

Have you sat on it and gone through the gears then put it back into neutral

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still won't start, but am trying some other things.

I’ve spent several hours today checking the coils and seeing if the plugs will spark by holding them to the engine. The upper cylinder was intermittent in sparking, but I cleaned the connections and it seems to be more consistent. I tried an older coil and a new coil and the sparking seems to be more consistent with the new. The lower cylinder was consistent in sparking. So, the spark plugs seem to be working.

My gas tank is off right now with the fuel pump removed. Is there a way to clean the filter for the fuel pump or does one have to replace the entire fuel pump? The fuel pump is turning on when the ignition is turned on.

So, the sparks are working, the engine is turning over (and almost starting most of the time and starting infrequently), all the items mentioned previously have been replaced. I’ll check the fuel lines to see if there is any clogging, but I don’t think there is.

I continued working on the bike this evening. I cleaned and filed all electrical connections and used electronic cleaner. Some of them did have some corrosion and that greenish blue buildup. The only ones I didn’t clean were the ECU’s and the Starter, Injection and Fan Relays behind the ECU’s. Is there a way to remove and clean these items? It appears that there are rocker switches on each side of the three relays, but it is a challenge to press them at the same time and I don’t want to force them out. Is that the way to remove and clean them (and should I)?

The ECU’s look to be challenging in that they have a rotating cover that swings toward the center and pushes them out. Is it a good idea to do this and clean them and how does one do this? There is nothing in the Shop Manual that explains how to do this or the relays behind the ECU’s.

I even removed (but left wired up) the regulator under the seat and clean behind it where there were pebbles, dirt and just general grime.

I finally just decided to cut the kickstand wires, removed the switch at the kickstand, used some spacers and put the original bolt back on. I just connected all three of the wires together in a butt end connection, and covered them with a rubber cover. Is that wiring solution what you would suggest? I just wanted to eliminate that as something that might keep the engine from starting even though it is turning over.

A Ducati mechanic (out of the State of Alaska) suggested checking the coolant temp sensor of the throttle position sensor (both for the fuel injection system). Has anyone hat problems with these seniors?

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts