Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my 2012 Multistrada but the gearing is way to high. First gear just takes off and I have to ride the clutch to have any control at slow speeds. It looks like the choices for rear sprockets are limited so I am considering going to a 14 tooth in the front. Will the chain clear the swing arm with a 14 tooth? It looks close there.

·
Registered
835 Posts
^^ Yip, larger rear sprocket is easier on the chain, it also reduces the the wheel base slightly, so i dropped my forks through the the triple clamp by 5mm more. A-14 tooth sprocket pulls the chain around a tight arc which speeds up wear. 15 tooth is still a small sprocket, i always go larger on the rear. (like women do with age)

·
Registered
259 Posts
^^ Yip, larger rear sprocket is easier on the chain, it also reduces the the wheel base slightly, so i dropped my forks through the the triple clamp by 5mm more. A-14 tooth sprocket pulls the chain around a tight arc which speeds up wear. 15 tooth is still a small sprocket, i always go larger on the rear. (like women do with age)

I bought the 42 when I was changing out the chain and sprockets and the chain came two links longer to compensate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
476 Posts
I agree with everyone above. -1 front is the equivalent of a +3 rear. I (on other bikes) have always like +2 because it's more subtle. Haven't changed the MTS as I'm pretty satisfied as is. Lower gearing will have the front coming up even more under hard acceleration, which I don't need!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm aware of the theory of a smaller sprocket causing additional wear but I have never seen any facts or actual experiences regarding how much of a difference it makes. My main concern is whether the 14 tooth sprocket will clear the swing arm without rubbing. Any help there?

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
I went 0/+2 and that was good... so I tried -1/+2 and thats great fun but maybe a bit much, I bought a stock front to maybe switch back... but I’m having too much fun atm.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is probably a dumb question and been answered a hundred times but if I go +2 in the rear, I'm assuming you buy a longer chain at the same time?

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 13 Multi stock chain worked with plus 2 on the rear. It did shorten the wheelbase slightly but not a problem. For my preferences I think plus 2 is about the perfect gearing for the Multi it makes all gears more usable.

·
Registered
835 Posts
This is probably a dumb question and been answered a hundred times but if I go +2 in the rear, I'm assuming you buy a longer chain at the same time?
If your chain needs replaceing, then yes, but there is enough adjustment to use your existing chain, it just shortens your wheel base by about 15mm, I've done this on both my bikes, my 1290GT has 2 teeth larger on the rear and I'm still using the original chain, on my Multi I'm now on a new chain, so added 2 extra links, but i ran the original chain on the 42tooth sprocket for 10,000Kms.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Love my 2012 Multistrada but the gearing is way to high. First gear just takes off and I have to ride the clutch to have any control at slow speeds...
Just out of curiousity and in slow traffic today, found out with stock gearing, but not stock tune:
My 2010 idles along at 6 mph (7 indicated).
Maybe going for a richer tune would be a better cure than shorter gearing. Or maybe both!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I went 14/42 on my 2014 and much prefer it to stock. I removed a link from chain when installing but am out of adjustment so thinking have to remove another, ordered another master link.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts