Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a 2012 MTS ABS that seems to have a sticky throttle, if so what was the fix please?

On my bike when pulling up at lights, the motor seems very slow to return to idle, seems to hang around 1900rpm for about 5 secs before idling properly, if i give it a quick rev it returns to idle ok. The ABS doesn't use the fly by wire, so I checked the cables and linkages when all seems ok. Even lock to lock doesn't seem to effect things!

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Check that this does not occur due to poor cable routing. Does it behave the same with the bars full left, full right and centred?

I would check the following:

1. Have you checked the throttle tube. I would take off the right hand throttle control (2 screws). Take the throttle tube off by removing the 2 cables. Clean inside the throttle tube and the bar where the tube rotates. Use a light oil to lubricate it before reinstalling.

2. While you have this apart, check the operation of the cables. They bend around the headstem and if the bend is too tight or they are crushed by other cables, they could be binding. You should be able to feel the cables smoothly moving the TPS.

3. If all this is OK, I would check the TPS out. A service technician with a DDI should see error codes if the electronics are playing up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have you put fat ducs on these make the bike idle a tad higher and reluctant to lower RPM's when cold.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't have exactly your issue, but my throttle was kind of sticky due to the friction between the throttle tube and the aluminum bar. I took it apart and put some graphite in. I thought oil might just get gummy after time or degrade the throttle tube. Anyhow, now corner exits and any low-throttle adjustments are quite a bit smoother.
I second the 'check the throttle tube' suggestion. It sure helped me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gents.. will try some graphite powder as see how that goes.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried several different fixes before finding a solution that worked for me.

I lubed the cables using the Motion Pro cable luber, but I think a lot of people are probably already doing that.

I solved the throttle tube problem by using a John Deere graphite lubricant spray. It's kind of nasty stuff, but it does a brilliant job. The spray hardens and is VERY difficult to remove. You don't need too much to do the job. The first time, I used too much and it gummed up the works. I had to use a sanding block and solvent to get it off. I recommend spraying some onto a rag, then wiping it onto the bar. Also, let it dry fully before sliding the throttle tube back on. I got mine here:

John Deere Lubricant Spray TY25797 - Discount OEM John Deere parts for John Deere tractors, combines, planters, lawn tractors, Gators and more!

Also, don't put any extra lube in after you use the John Deere stuff. You want the area to be completely dry. I haven't had any problems with water intrusion, but I think any other lubes may partially dissolve the hardened graphite mixture.

Loren

·
Registered
9 Posts
The bar end cap (plastic) somehow got tight on my bike and caused a sticky throttle. Just loosened it off and it was fine. Worth checking.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

1 - 7 of 7 Posts