Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys. New to the forum and wishing this wasnt my introductory post.

I have a 2012 Ducati Hyper motard evo.(just done over 10000 miles, belts and valve clearance were done when i bought at 9000)

This bike has a bunch of power for a little while then as im riding(10-15min in) it seems to get sluggish and throttle response is almost impossible to get the bike to climb the rev range. If i keep riding the bike eventually will stall out.
I could literally stall turn key off, turn key on, wait for injectors to cycle and it starts right up.

Iv taken the bike into two different Ducati dealers here in Dallas, TX and both say theres 0 wrong with the bike.

I feel like they just dont want to be stuck with diagnosing an older bike.

Has anybody else experienced this issue.
I have a feeling it fuel starvation due to heat or something. It happens in winter but over a much longer period.

I have a few questions:
Does the ecu compensate for humidity? I feel like on hotter more humid days the bike performs worst.

Does the fuel cap have to have a vacumm? It used to make a pop/suction noise when i 1st bought the bike.

If the bike was over heating surely that would reflect on the dash and 3 bars would increase to a much higher heat reading?

No engine light come on except once when i though i had run out of fuel, turned bike off and back on and it all started up and ran fine till i got to the gas station

I also only run premiem gas (93)

Anyhelp would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Blair.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the same model and year but haven't had that problem in the 3 years that I've owned it. Check all the hoses and make sure they're not constricted. Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check all the hoses and make sure they're not constricted. Keep us posted and good luck.
Hey man, Will do this weekend. I was reading that the Map sensors have been a known issue on some of the 1100 motors on Monsters. When i read that I instantly thought sounds exactly like what it could be... Will keep you posted

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2008 hyper S . I never had a issue like that. It has been trouble free. I think it might be something like was suggested. Like a kinked hose... fuel line maybe. That when engine gets hot it may constrict.

I don’t know if Ecu compensates for humidity. But it don’t think it would.

The vacuum in gas tank was probably when you had charcoal canister ( gas overflow) on bike. You did not mention if that was in bike. If it is still there it usually has vacuum when you open gas cap. If it is remove you won’t have vacuum. Most people remove it. If it has been removed then make sure it has been vented or plugged properly.

It is possible when valve service was done that fuel hose or some other hose were kinked under tank or air box. You did not mention if you still had stock air box or have pods.

Also not sure if dealer checked TPS ( Throttle postion sensor ). It usually affects idle but may be problem after bike get hot.

These are just guesses but may help. If all checks out . I would seek out a Ducati mechanic that knows about air cooled 1100.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I'm going with whatever is causing the vacuum in the fuel tank as the problem. First guess would be the breather line that allows air to replace the fuel as it is sent to the engine. If the tank cannot breath and allow air to replace the fuel that was sent to the engine, a vacuum in the tank will prevent the fuel from getting out of the tank and into the engine .... which fits in with the complaint of the bike seeming as though it's running out of gas (because it is!). The tank itself isn't "running out of gas" .... the engine is ... and that is because the vacuum in the tank won't permit fuel to flow out of it. The vacuum is most likely caused by a kinked or plugged air inlet breather system. There should not be a vacuum situation present in the tank at any time.

The breather line could be kinked or plugged .... or if the motorcycle is equipped with the charcoal breather system there could be something going on with that ... either of which is restricting the flow of air the fuel tank requires to replace the fuel that is sent to the engine.

On days when the bike is acting up, try riding it with the gas cap popped open and see if that fixes the issue. If so, there is most definitely something prohibiting air from replacing the gas that is sent to the engine.

I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence with this simplified description, I just try to keep in mind that one never knows how many new members may end up reading this stuff, or that it may end up in some search result on the interweb. I try to remember that far more people than just the current membership may read the things we post.

:wink2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a similar issue with those symptoms and it turned out to be a clogged fuel filter (under the tank). I would change the filter as a process of elimination. I also had an engine temp oil sensor that went bad and would shut my engine off at 220 degrees F, according to the mechanic though this was a very rare problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts