Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did a HOT ride from Tucson, north of Phx, Monday for 9/11, 102-107 ambient. Bike only hit 185 once, normally she ran at 179 minus the stop and go out Oracle up to 77.

When I loaded the bike up for the trip back to NM i noticed some trickling down the left side case, followed it up, and saw a weep at the little junction on the vertical head, where it feeds in. I got online and saw it's got an O-Ring in there, so ordered 2 just to be safe, along with more Special Pink coolant.

Anyone have a leak from this spot before?

·
Premium Member
12,386 Posts
I spent far tooo much time tracking a teeny tiny leak that came from the hoz. cylinder The wee hose clamp switched with the same sized coolant tank hose and the nipple turned out to be loose a quarter turn and presto!

Reactions: fastrob691

·
Registered
34 Posts
On my 2014 same issue. I live in Scottsdale so same hot ride, engine stayed cool but the coolant leaks from the expansion tank when hot and would see this leak down the left side. I replaced the little washer on that left side mount for the expansion tank. Seems like a bad design to drill a hole into the side of a plastic tank for the mounting bolt do you agree?
But after all that work to get at it and replace it I still had the same leak. I took it into the dealer GoAZ and they found a crack in the expansion tank which apparently was caused by the mounting bolt. New expansion tank from Italy took 2 weeks and now it's good.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my 2014 same issue. I live in Scottsdale so same hot ride, engine stayed cool but the coolant leaks from the expansion tank when hot and would see this leak down the left side. I replaced the little washer on that left side mount for the expansion tank. Seems like a bad design to drill a hole into the side of a plastic tank for the mounting bolt do you agree?
But after all that work to get at it and replace it I still had the same leak. I took it into the dealer GoAZ and they found a crack in the expansion tank which apparently was caused by the mounting bolt. New expansion tank from Italy took 2 weeks and now it's good.
I never went above 185 on a Portion near Roosevelt and a long spirited run, normally she was 179 holding steady. The reservoir only dropped an inch total?

I'll replace both O-Rings and fresh magic, non head eating coolant as well, it's 3 or 4 years old so might as well. I'll check all the clamps as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same problem with mine, and I agree, bad design for sure. I have yet to fix mine and just leave bike on center stand so level stays below that mount screw, annoying to do this every time I park. What did they charge you for the tank itself? Been keeping an eye out for a used one off a salvage or something like that.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tightened all the clamps, ran her till the fan cycled a couple times and it appeared to have stopped, then I checked at lunch today and she was weeping again, the coolant level was actually still perfect.

The New Orings and Pink coolant will be in today so I drained the coolant/radiator at lunch, ill get the parts on tonight after work.

·
Premium Member
12,386 Posts
Time for some good ole fashioned "bars leak"???

Reactions: fastrob691

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Time for some good ole fashioned "bars leak"???
Ha ha man, I've had heads and cylinders off where that stuff seals the leak and the coolant passages.

My coolant was just delivered, I think the O Rings went to the wrong post office :frown2:

·
Registered
34 Posts
With labour it was about $300. I think it was mostly labour taking the bike apart and putting it back together. I only 'think' it was that much because they didn't charge me for it. Originally they thought it was the little clamp on the hose leading out of the tank, they ordered a new clamp from Italy (it looked like a clamp I could get at any auto parts store) and that didn't fix it. They didn't want to charge me twice so the tank and labor was gratis.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bolt that holds the water junction was a hair loose, not finger loose but not torqued to spec. I pulled the o-ring and it looked fine, so I added a dab of Hondabond, retortqued both bolts on the junction to spec, new coolant an leak is gone. The top bolt is pretty hard to reach unless you pull the tank, I cracked it loose with an 8mm wrench then used a palm ratchet to get it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts