Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I been researching Ducati bikes like crazy and I even called up Ducati North America.

The manager told me the sport bike is the least prone to tank expansion issues. I am contemplating the Corse model. I have been given the okay to test the 696-796-848 demo's. My friend is buddies with the store owner. I don't want to spend anywhere from 10-16k dollars on something that could result in regret due to a tank expanding and looking like crap. I fully understand the aluminum replacement but that is 2k dollars. I think that's totally absurd to have to do something like that when Acerbis is still being used as a supplier for Ducati. I was also told there is an extended warranty on this issue and tanks would be replaced free of charge. I don't want to go to the dealership because my tank balloons all the time. It totally defeats the purpose of owning any one of these Ducati gems. I like in Chicago. Does staying in direct sunlight further enhance this issue. I was also told there was a new tank replacement number they are using, but if it's the same supplier I don't see how it can change this. My Ninja 250r has a metal tank for crying out loud and it's a budget economy bike. Are these issues truly rare or is it something I should be very concerned about. I was also told to siphon the gas out the tank prior to winter storage. I've wanted a Ducati for a long time and I'm finally about to sell my Ninja and get one of these. There was also rumor stating the Corse was going to have a metal tank.... not true. Stupid

How do you guys feel about this whole idea? It's really sad that I need to become emotionally concerned about what could and should be an exotic motorcycle. I don't care for the Panigale as far as looks compared to the 848, not to say it is ugly because it certainly is not. If there was a "baby" Panigale which there should be soon and it has an aluminum tank like the 1199 I think that would be the better option. I'm tired of waiting.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ninja 250 to an 848evo??? Youre about to shit your pants! Good luck, im sure youre gonna love it. I just test rode the corse last night. Im in love.

For every tank that has an issue, id wager there are 5,000 that dont. We just dont get postes here that say, 'hey, my tank didnt expand'

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think that issue is rare and would go for Corse and get extended warranty

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bars you live right near me! That's pretty cool. I rode my cousins gsx-r 600 and the bike was too fast for me but that doesn't mean I have to use the power. He is already complaining his bike is too slow and wants a gsx-r 1000. I'm not on his level of crazy.

I am going to schedule a day when me and my future wife can go to the dealership and speak to the owner with my friend who knows him. This weekend I'm also going to see if I can wash my bike and sell it. Right after my honeymoon I'm picking up a bike. I also don't want a 2013 model. Bad luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mike,
I think there is no 848 for 2013. It looks like it's the last year for this model (at least with same base). The MotoWorks Chicago has Corse in stock right now, but I usually work with Ducati Milwaukee and it's where I placed the order for my 848 Corse. Should be here by August.
P.S. : Yep, looks like we are neighbors :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have expansion now on my 1198. Ducati is replacing it. I mean it sux but still love the bike and I know you would love the 848.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
The tanks are covered under the emissions warranty, which I believe is 5 or 7 years. There is a long thread on this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A Ninja 250 to a Ducati 848 is quite a jump. Thats like going from a VW Bettle to a Lambo Gallardo.

I learned on a Ninja 125 and rode with riders who had 600s and 1000s after a month I was tired of being the tail of the group. I rode every weekend though. After my Ninja I jumped to a CBR F4 600. Even that was quite a jump. After not riding for about 10 years I picked up a 2005 749 Dark last year, after riding my bros Gixxer 600 for a few months in the summer.

Just last week I upgraded to an 848. It really depends on how much you ride and how quick you learn. IMO its still a huge jump from a 250. You might want to look at an older 748/749 before jumping to the 848. Or even going to a jap 600 or a Duc monster before you upgrade to the Ducati. If you dump the 848 it will can cost you 4-6000 to fix the bike. Thats the price of a used jap 600.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts