Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my bike blew a head gasket and has about 7000 miles but is in otherwise great shape. I am thinking of selling it as is as opposed to having it fixed. The title is clean with no lean. Do you any of you have an idea of what it might be worth?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Due to the fact the "blew a head gasket" can mean a lot of different things, and also range from no internal damage... to a lot of internal damage.

What exactly do you mean? One cylinder or both?

Is the gasket leaking? Are you blowing a bunch of smoke out the exhaust?
How long, was this like an instant thing, or you have been gradually driving like this and its gotten to the point its shot?

You may just need a new gasket, check the valve seals and adjustment and probably the belts and tensioners.

Depending on the extent, I would say its probably worth repairing and then selling.
It might cost you just a 400-800 to fix if all you need is a new gasket and a tune up.

But you are probably going to lose way more money trying to sell it as is with the person buying assuming the motor is probably toast.

Now, if your dripping oil out the head and blowing barrels of smoke, and your coolant has burned down to nothing a few times and you have been riding it like that... well that's a different story.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if both cylinders are blown but the dealer quoted me 3500 to have the engine repaired and steering bearings replaced which it apparently needs. As far as i know this was an instantaneous issue but I didn't have the dealer open the engine just test the cylinders for pressure in order to save money. I was quoted 700 to pull the motor and open it up for a full diagnosis. The coolant entirely drained when it happened so i am assuming the worst for the internals. I rode it again not knowing what happened after refilling coolant and it was fine for a while then the check engine light came on and the bike would only run with a lot of throttle and had next to no power. I had to get to a safe area to call a tow.

·
Registered
194 Posts
3500??? This is why i never go to the dealor.

It does sound like some damage may have been done ... But Bro, the 848 motors sell on ebay all day for 1000 to 1500
Even quoteing 12 to 16 hours for a motor swap your still well under 3k... for a fulley replaced motor.

If the swap is out of your comfort zone... and they will pull the motor for 700 (and im assuming put it back in) why not get a quote for a swap and shop for a motor?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts