Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about ordering a full set of carbon body panels for my 1100 sp, specifically the ones branded z4. Does anyone have experience with those or others. I'm wondering how the fit is. I'm planning to have them painted like the originals but with exposed carbon in place of the black.
Thanks

·
Registered
971 Posts
Honestly with the price of OEM, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a shot. I plan on buying them as well (not z4 i believe). Most carbon stuff I get from Asia is super nice.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I dont have any experience with them but I have researched them. Fitment is hit and miss. Expect to adjust holes and what not. Also, from what I read, they will turn brown if left out in the sun. That is an easy fix, paint them with a color or with a UV protective clearcoat. The sun is a big enemy of raw carbon fiber(I mess around making my own carbon parts. The sun is talked about regularly on the groups. You need a UV clearcoat. They dont come protected). I would give them a try but I would definitely coat them with UV protection clear

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I looked at the carbon parts that are on my bike already and they are all plain weave. The z4 stuff is twill. I'm looking now at the offerings from SSR. I will definitely have my painter use uv protecting clear coat. He is painting the fender and hugger for my 900ss right now. He seems to have a bit of experience with painting carbon fiber.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SSR really bummed me out and doesn't have the front piece in plain weave in stock right now. They said they won't have it for a month or 2. 1 month could be ok, but 2 would be horrible. By the time its all painted, that could start to cut into riding season. Bestem has the front in plain weave. I didn't want to mix brands, but I might have to.

When i was looking the bike over a little bit ago, i saw the frame is cracked at the bottom of the steering head. I'm hoping this will be an easy fix. I wonder if that is a common failure spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks like its just the steering limiting tabs. That i a common issue among many ducati bikes. They make boy on pieces for other bikes. I'm not sure if they make them for the hyper.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like its just the steering limiting tabs. That i a common issue among many ducati bikes. They make boy on pieces for other bikes. I'm not sure if they make them for the hyper.
The bearing race is exposed as well. It doesn't look too major though. I have a welder friend that said he can fix it.

The bigger concern for me right now is getting the carbon parts. It seems none of the various suppliers have all of the parts in plain weave available. So i will have to either mix and match brands or wait.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After reading reviews all over about all of the various brands of carbon, I decided it would best to spend a little more and get the shift-tech pieces. Unfortunately, its a 35-45 day wait for most of it. I think it will be worth it, though. They are the only place that I couldn't find even 1 negative review. I will update when they arrive.

·
Registered
438 Posts
After reading reviews all over about all of the various brands of carbon, I decided it would best to spend a little more and get the shift-tech pieces. Unfortunately, its a 35-45 day wait for most of it. I think it will be worth it, though. They are the only place that I couldn't find even 1 negative review. I will update when they arrive.
Shift tech makes excellent stuff and the guy that runs company will make sure you get top notch customer service. His names Guid, great dude

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shift tech makes excellent stuff and the guy that runs company will make sure you get top notch customer service. His names Guid, great dude
Thats sort of concensus I got from reaearching. Considering the cost of the cheap stuff is 800-900, it seems like a no brainer to spend just a couple hundred more for quality parts.

·
Registered
150 Posts
+1 on Shift tech - i bought one of their rear-huggers 10 years ago for my 09 hyper and it still looks brand new on the bike.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My small project for today is relocating the license plate to right up under the tail light. I wanted to just remove the long bracket and mount the factory plate holder using a couple small brackets, but the reflector on the side touches the exhaust. I think it will look bad if i just cut the reflectors off, so i need to find a new plate holder that I can mount in that spot.

While taking everything apart, i managed to break the plastic that goes underneath. I couldn't find it on the parts diagram and theres no part number stamped on it, so I'm thinking it might just be something aftermarket. I'd still like to replace it if I can. I also misplaced the 1 little screw that holds the tail piece cover, so I need to find one of those somewhere. Fun day.

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
The Part in your image 130426 is the splash shield that came with the Termi 2 into Exhaust you might find
a used one but you can not buy it by itself. If you know how to bend plexiglass it would be easy to make a
new one.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Part in your image 130426 is the splash shield that came with the Termi 2 into Exhaust you might find
a used one but you can not buy it by itself. If you know how to bend plexiglass it would be easy to make a
new one.
Thanks. I can probably come up with something

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The first of the carbon parts from shift-tech came today. It definitely lives up to the hype. The fit is perfect and it looks great. Its almost a shame that it will be mostly painted. The only thing i don't like is that the front nostrils are closed off. But thats not too big a deal. I could probably carefully cut them out, but i won't because Id probably ruin it.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
The first of the carbon parts from shift-tech came today. It definitely lives up to the hype. The fit is perfect and it looks great. Its almost a shame that it will be mostly painted. The only thing i don't like is that the front nostrils are closed off. But thats not too big a deal. I could probably carefully cut them out, but i won't because Id probably ruin it.
I think it maybe looks even better with front nostrils closed :unsure:

Someone should make "facelift" front fairing for HM796/1100. It would be interesting to see how gen1 Hyper would look with gen2 or gen3 front fairing. If I ever find cheap 821 etc. front fairing with headlight, I might give it a try.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts