Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the formums for various phrases like "cuts off" "engine dies" "stops running" and didn't come up with anything, although I'm hoping someone has experienced a similar problem.

My 2012 Monster 1100 Evo will simply stop running while riding. This is a very infrequent occurrence. It happened when I had 625 miles on the bike, and then again this week with 2650 miles on the bike. After the first occurrence I mentioned it to the dealer and they didn't have any idea and shrugged it off.

After some period of riding, it will simply shut off while accelerating normally. Any throttle input will kill it when it's acting up. Typically it will start right back up, but will die instantly if I attempt to pull off. If I wait about 2-3 minutes before restarting, it will fire right back up and be fine for months to come.

Luckily this is a rare occurrence, but is quite disturbing, especially while riding back roads or while on the middle lane of a busy highway. Outright dangerous!

Any ideas or similar experiences? Bike is completely unmodified.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Even though it happens infrequently I'd still check all the fuel and vent hoses connected to the tank for possible pinched lines.

·
Registered
58 Posts
could be a battery issue, or drastic changes in the outside temp? mine will stall out in the morning if its significantly cooler than it was when i last rode it

·
Registered
62 Posts
this may sound stupid- but are you sure its not the clutch? I came from a hyper 796 with a dry clutch and i kid you not the diff is night and day. I stalled the bike prob a bunch of times when i first got it-until i got used to the clutch- its very slight, i mean very slight. There is no play from when it engages. Is the bike dying only between 1st or 2nd?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Bike is stock.

It does not stall while shifting, but while accelerating.

The issue has only happened twice over 3000 miles with similar weather. The weather or bike operating temperature was no different the two times I had the issue compared to the rest of the time, so I would be wary of calling it a general temperature issue. Intermittent electrical problems (bad board solder joints) can manifest themselves with temperature however.

The bike doesn't stumble then stall, it quickly and cleanly cuts off.

Maybe TPS or pinched line? I'll check them out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bike is stock.

It does not stall while shifting, but while accelerating.

The issue has only happened twice over 3000 miles with similar weather. The weather or bike operating temperature was no different the two times I had the issue compared to the rest of the time, so I would be wary of calling it a general temperature issue. Intermittent electrical problems (bad board solder joints) can manifest themselves with temperature however.

The bike doesn't stumble then stall, it quickly and cleanly cuts off.

Maybe TPS or pinched line? I'll check them out.
does it happen when you let off the throttle?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does it happen when you let off the throttle?
No, only while accelerating. If I feather the throttle very very lightly while accelerating while the problem is occurring it may not cut off, but unless I'm going down a hill the throttle required to keep the bike moving is enough to cut it off.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I had a similar issue with a 2010 MTS1200 when it was new. I have since sold the bike and don't recall all the details but, the local dealer either cleaned or replaced the sidestand switch. All was well after that...

The indicator of the sidestand switch in this case was the quick/clean shutoff.

good luck

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rummaggio: It's interesting you mention the sideswitch (kickstand switch). Mine is actually bad at the moment. Bike thinks the stand is always down (which essentially kills the engine if the bike is in gear).

Until I can have the switch replaced, I have the switch removed from the stand and zip tied to the frame. I also put a small strip of copper de-soldering braid across the appropriate two contacts of the plug to act as a jumper then replugged the defective switch back on (to hold the wire jumper in place). Fitment of the jumper was a little loose. I wonder if it's just jiggling loose and cutting the bike off...

This is one of the things that I need them to fix when I bring it in. I'm hoping it solves this other problem also.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Happened today again at 2890 miles, which brings the occurrence to the following approximate mileages (620, 2720, 2745, 2890).

Seems to happen more often when rolling through town after getting off the highway or after some time spent at higher speeds and higher gears.

Hoping to get it into the dealer sometime this week. It's quite annoying and stressful since it's unpredictable.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Happened today again at 2890 miles, which brings the occurrence to the following approximate mileages (620, 2720, 2745, 2890).

Seems to happen more often when rolling through town after getting off the highway or after some time spent at higher speeds and higher gears.

Hoping to get it into the dealer sometime this week. It's quite annoying and stressful since it's unpredictable.
They look like winning Lotto numbers.... seriously the side stand switch is your problem

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry for keeping everyone in suspense. I still have not brought the bike down to the dealer yet. Hard to find time with my schedule... I did however attempt to ride again last week and at one point it repeatedly kept cutting off. Couldn't even get rolling again. After fiddling with the stand switch and plug for 10 minutes by the side of the road I started up and rode all the way home with no problem. I'm optimistic it's the switch or switch plug (since I know it's bad). Will let you all know once the problem is solved.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
just got a report from the dealer on my monster cutting out (it happened on the track in a lean!). It was caused by a bad battery. btw, when you're engine dies in a lean you go straight to the outside with little ability to control the bike. But I'm sure all you pro's know this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry just noticed today people were still wondering. Turned out to be a faulty side stand switch. Covered under warranty and no problem since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts