Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Ducati world. I pick the bike up Saturday and it has 12,000 miles. One owner with all service records. Is there anything specific I sould be looking for when I pick the bike up?

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
980 Posts
Hi and welcome! Congrats on your exciting new Hyper.

If I were the new owner, I'd be interested to know when the services were last performed: ie; belts, brake/clutch master fluids, valve adjustment(s)...

Post up some pictures and congrats again! Nice choice! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said all fluids were flushed this spring. Belts changed two years ago. He has not had the valves adjusted since it has not hit the 15,000 mile mark. Has all of the paperwork. He is an older gentleman, I think he said 61, and has never beat on the bike and says everything sounds tight. What about recalls? Can I just use the VIN to see any open recalls? What else should I look for. He did say the charcoal cannister had been removed.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Since you already have it the next step is usually 2 into one Termi with Race ECU and open
air box lid = More Hyper, Then Performance intake Stacks and Tune = Even more Hyper with
a healthy amount of Brraaaapppp! any power mods after that are big$ for little gain.

·
Registered
883 Posts
All kidding aside the 2v Air cooled Ducati motor has been around a long
time its kinda like the 350 chevy motor of the Ducati line pretty much
bullet proof. There has been a very small number of Evo Motors that
have had main bearing issues. When they went to the evo they lightened
the motor smaller cases lighter fly wheel and the main bearings are not
as robust as the Dual Spark motors again very few have had problems
and you might not even read about it outside of this forum. The big
problem with these bikes when they are stock is they can't breathe
open the exhaust and intake and tune and they are not the same bike.
Update your profile to show were you are and maybe some one in your
area can show you the gains to be had it really is a night and day difference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice, and I will add my profile info after I pick it up tomorrow with a pic. Don't want to get too far ahead, and make sure he still has it and it is exactly as described.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for the advice, and I will add my profile info after I pick it up tomorrow with a pic. Don't want to get too far ahead, and make sure he still has it and it is exactly as described.
Belts being changes within the last 2 years is a good sign.

A few other things to look for are signs of tank expansion from ethanol fuel. Ask the owner what fuel he uses? If he isnt adament about non-ethanol fuel, I would really look it over good. Check the side panel mount tabs for cracking and take off the seat and look for signs of swelling. Hopefully he has ridden the bike a lot and has had good fuel in it.

As other have said, and exhaust, opened up airbox and a tune, the aircooled Ducs really wake up. Best of luck! PICS!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Great info about the fuel tank and fuel. So next question, what fuel are you running?
I run 87-91 octane non-ethanol pump fuel. Lower octane levels are fine and usually preferred on stock motor internals, it's the ethanol they add to the gas that you need to steer away from. The plastic they used to mold the tanks reacts to ethanol/water and causes expansion. The worst cases are when bikes sit for years with ethanol fuel, which also absorbs water. Mine was so bad on my 796 when I fist got it used for 2k miles on it that I couldnt remove the tank from the frame and it busted all the tabs off the side panels. Again this was an extreme case but def something to watch for. There was a class action years ago and Ducati replaced a shit ton of tanks. Lots on info out there, I was one of the ones who was lucky enough to get a new tank and plastics for free on a used bike believe it or not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow impressive since you bought the bike used. I will certainly ask the owner, and make sure I take a very close look at the tank and side panels. Thanks for the great info!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts